• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is psychiatry and neurology being 2 separate disciplines good?

Is psychiatry and neurology being 2 separate disciplines good?

• Total voters
I think there's a strong component of cultural conditioning involved in identifying as part of a social group, it is taught through the teaching of language to children, and in order to speak we have to contend with the general categories of identity that our culture believes in, so for example early on we learn to identify as one of 2 available genders and we learn how to be that gender in our culture. We learn to identify as a nationality, and so on.

I think that people with autism are less affected by the cultural subtext to the language, perhaps? Maybe due to slower or different processing? And, we don't seem to bond so easily, maybe for the same reasons. Uta Frith did seem to spot some of this.

I think it varies how much of a problem this is for different individuals, it doesn't stop a lot of us forming one to one relationships, and it may be offset by advantages such as independent thinking, thinking outside the box, etc, that enable us in other ways and enable the assumptions of our cultures to be questioned and to evolve.

Its also relevant to note that many people, neurotypical or neurodiverse, develop insecure attachment behaviours during childhood, this is a very well researched area. Insecurity comes about due to deficits in the environment, of various kinds, that are not successfully mediated by parents or carers, or where parents or carers may have difficulties in parenting or be less available than the child needs.

Children may become overly independent and dismissive in their relating or overly dependent and overtly anxious, while others may show both of these behaviours and find trust in others very difficult. Attachment behaviour is part of a developmental system that can be improved in later life for all of us, neurotypical or neurodiverse, making it more likely we can form secure relationships.

Psychiatry is quackery. All mental onus is have their roots in trauma. Psychiatrists dish out drugs and these jugs are toxic. They have withdrawals they have side-effects and are harmful. I do not know enough about neurology to comment sorry.

Yes they should be separate. Everything that happens in your mind is happening with the neurons but that alone does not mean that a neurologist is going to understand that I need medication for my ADHD or counseling for my depression and relationship issues. You need the ability to look beyond the meat. And sometimes you also have to look at meat directly. The brain is very complicated and one-size-fits-all isn't going to cut it.

New Threads

Top Bottom