• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it normal to want to self harm for mustakes you made in the past?

I been like this since childhood i associate getting in trouble leading to punishment via severe beating. After the corperal punishment my debt has been paid and the rest of society has been satisfied. My parents used to beat me if i did something wrong if they didnt ij d save em the trouble, i guess old habits dont die off as easilly. At times i feel less important so a good old beating is an order in order for me to behave now and then and a painful reminder not to misbehave since its not worth it.

Last edited:
Its just a bad habit i suppose.

And only *you* can decide to change that aspect of yourself.
We can be here to cheer you on. To support you. To believe in you.
But we can't make the change for you. Only you can do that.

The fact you've acknowledged it as "just a bad habit" is an excellent first step.
I believe you can break the pattern from your childhood.

Sometimes i have urges to self harm as self punishment for getting in trouble for stuff, i paid my time punished but it wasnt enough i bit myself and drew blood and scratched my arms. Now finally feel my punishment was fulfilled.

Based on reading your posts in this thread, I think martial arts would be a much better and healthier way to meet your needs. They can discipline you in a way that is not likely to result in an injury as well as act as a mentor and help you improve your self-esteem.

It's easy to see yourself as flawed, defective, or worthy of punishment based on your life experiences because it's partially true. No one is perfect. We all have flaws, areas of our life that could use improvement, and all of us could probably benefit from a little self-discipline. However, it's also true that your life is valuable and that you are just as worthy as everyone else. None of your strengths or weakness make you any more or less valuable than anyone else. Please don't do anything that might result in an injury such as drawing blood which puts you at risk of an infection which can be life threatening. Parental discipline is meant to discourage unhealthy behavior to help children choose healthier behavior that will improve their life, not to punish them for being bad people. There is no such thing as a bad person. We're all good people who sometimes do bad things. Some of us make more mistakes than others but nothing you do can make you a bad person.

i dont think it is either please dont i am worried now
i have a had a few things happen to me as well
with my dad when i was growing up and it was hard but please dont do that i want you to be ok :(
i grew up around violence i want you to be ok and i worry about you and want you to be ok my father wasnt a nice person either and he didnt treat myself or my family very well, please be ok :(

Last edited:
Reccomend case studies of humans in self imposed isolation, as well as those under incarceration, (such as solitary confinement) and the effect of it upon the mind of the man. Also malnutrition and its effect on cognition.

i dont think it is either please dont i am worried now
i have a had a few things happen to me as well
with my dad when i was growing up and it was hard but please dont do that i want you to be ok :(
i grew up around violence i want you to be ok and i worry about you and want you to be ok my father wasnt a nice person either and he didnt treat myself or my family very well, please be ok :(
I dont want to hurt myself anymore or make you sad i love you im sorry baby.

Please go to an emergency room and tell them what you've told us. A friend of mine called her trips to the mental hospital her welfare vacations. She got to sleep all day, order food in bed off a menu, and do arts and crafts. Sounds nice to me.
if i do id spend several weeks there its not fun last time its hell! Its also humiliating and being restrained and sedated against your will simply for wanting to go home and not be kidnapped is not fun.

Sometimes i have urges to self harm as self punishment for getting in trouble for stuff, i paid my time punished but it wasnt enough i bit myself and drew blood and scratched my arms. Now finally feel my punishment was fulfilled.

Answer: No!

You are not alone.
I have been very violent towards myself, more violent than anyone else has been to me.
My wrist biting got worse, due to stress, and I have scars on my right forearm.
I also have parts of me that tell me I need punishing, or undeserving.

People self-harm for various reasons. Some do it as a coping mechanism for depression and upset feelings. Others do it as a form of punishingly themselves for things they’ve done that they think are “bad.” I did it as a combination of the two where I SI myself for having different thoughts that I believed made me a bad person and that I needed to do it to both make the thoughts leave me alone and to punish myself for even having these thoughts.

Uh... what do you mean "normal?"

Most people do not feel that way. I would suggest seeking out counseling or therapy to talk about this with a professional.

New Threads

Top Bottom