• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it normal for people with autism to have many weaknesses?

Ruby

I can't stand going extremely fast on rides. I am also scared of a lot of things and cry easily. I sometimes scream and cry when I'm scared. I can't always stand the voices of little kids and loudness. I get upset a lot. I'm shy and childish in ways. I'm not very smart and I don't have very strong muscles. Does this make me a weak or dumb person?

WEak & dumb?!? Hell no, Ruby. Those are simply personality traits & human preferences. My NT mother is terrified of roller coasters & any scary rides. They're deliberately designed to be scary. Some people find that feeling thrilling & exciting, others are kind of jaded when it comes to rides of any kind. As for crying easily, you may just be a sensitive & emotional person. I'm emotionally flat-lined but I don't see how that would render either of us dumb.

Maybe you have anxiety problems. Many of us have secondary problems besides our AS.
You have, I am sure, the standard issue human body. The variation in the DNA of all humans is less than 2%. So next time you see an athlete you admire, tell yourself, "98% of my DNA is the same as hers." Then go home and exercise. :)

I agree with Soup

Me personally, I love roller coasters and going fast on rides and in cars (though I don't do it very often for fear of getting pulled over). I do cry a lot but there is almost always something that happens that triggers it. Not just randomly starting to cry for no reason.

Meh, not many people can tolerate fast or high-altitude rides. Me, I might panic in anticipation of what's coming next, and then I get a thrill and adrenaline rush from it. It's a great feeling once the ride is finished :) obviously though not everyone's thing and that's absolutely fine. It doesn't mean you're weak by any means, and there are always alternatives right?

As for the weak and dumb part, you probably struggle with showing your intelligence, rather than lacking it altogether. There's a massive difference between the two and it's quite common in autistics from what I know. I come across as better read and communicative online rather than offline, assuming you'd get to know me face to face.

"So next time you see an athlete you admire, tell yourself, "98% of my DNA is the same as hers." - Smith

...And, the next time you see an Orangutan you can say virtually the same thing!

@ Needtobreathe: Spinning rides were not for me either: after I'd get off the ride, in my brain I'd be spinning for hours & extremely dizzy.

I can't stand going extremely fast on rides. I am also scared of a lot of things and cry easily. I sometimes scream and cry when I'm scared. I can't always stand the voices of little kids and loudness. I get upset a lot. I'm shy and childish in ways. I'm not very smart and I don't have very strong muscles. Does this make me a weak or dumb person?

DEFINITELY NOT!!!!!! These are very normal. I wouldn't even call them weaknesses because many of the things you can't stand are very common for Aspies and even many NTs, especially the fast rides and screaming while scared. Bottom line is you're not a weak or a dumb person.

I think it's fair to state, that a lot of things you're experiencing are related to each other and could fall under a form of "sensory overload". And then there's stuff that is not related to autism at all from my understanding. Having weak muscles or just a bad "frame" for instance, is a totally different deal.

If anything it should make you stronger mentally since at some point you can say "I overcame this". Don't put yourself down and don't compare yourself to others, cause that's where most people claim they're dumb. I'm dumb compared to him/her, I'm not as strong as her and he can do this. Accepting that you're a unique person that has yet to find her strong points is a way better route than wondering if you're weak.

But... that's just my 2 cents. Go on with your daily chores again all

New Threads

Top Bottom