• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it bad that I don't view my autism as a gift?

We are certainly constrained by personal prejudice, but we have not adopted those of society on top of our own.

I’ve never met anyone who hasn’t been fundamentally shaped by the society and culture (and sub-culture) they live in. And anyway, all autistic people are different. The only blanket statement that can be made about us is that we all fit the diagnostic criteria for autism.

And anyway, all autistic people are different.
I described a tendency.
The only blanket statement that can be made about us is that we all fit the diagnostic criteria for autism.
And boiled down, that criteria is "a diminished social instinct," per the "mother" of the autism spectrum, herself, Dr. Lorna Wing.

(If you counter with "what did she know," you will be shooting yourself in the foot.)

I described a tendency.

And boiled down, that criteria is "a diminished social instinct," per the "mother" of the autism spectrum, herself, Dr. Lorna Wing.

(If you counter with "what did she know," you will be shooting yourself in the foot.)

“Deficits in social communication and interaction” (DSM) doesn’t have anything to do with immunity from societal prejudice or with influence on personality and behavior. Society shapes and influences who we are, whether or not we’re aware of it or willing to admit to it. Sociology 101.

But okay, I agree to disagree.

I don't view my autism as a gift, either. Mine is definitely a disability. As a kid, I had the stereotypical Aspie memory, but years of depression and ECT have stolen that from me, and now I don't see anything good that I get from it, only bad. My special interests do bring me pleasure, but they aren't good for anything else - nothing I could possibly make a career of or use to help in any way. I have no particular talents or anything. All it means for me is that I can't work, may or may not ever be able to live on my own, have only one friend and have gone years without having any, oftentimes can't even go eat at a restaurant or go to the movies without having a shutdown and needing to recover afterward, and basically, can't live anything resembling a "normal" life.

Society shapes and influences who we are, whether or not we’re aware of it or willing to admit to it. Sociology 101
Does it everyone?
I don't know if autism has anything to do with non-conformity, but, I would say I am one of the biggest
non-conformists. I never let anyone or any society influence how I think or live.
Except for what is imposed by the law.

But, I don't see my autism as a gift either. I had the great Aspie memory and the need to ever
learn. But, age tempers that. The rest of it I don't find anything great in.
Maybe the hyper awareness and great hearing. But, I wouldn't die if I didn't have those extra
hyper senses either. Probably wouldn't have the sensory issues either, which I could live without.
A life time of anxiety, depression and not wanting to be a part of the world is not a gift. IMO.

Its more of a identity, but I can say its a gift as its more of a way of thinking that is different and that is special, we are just like everyone else but we do not think the same.

New Threads

Top Bottom