• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it alive?

Will the celery stub grow into a big plant?

• Not unless you feed it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thats just not right, throw it away you wierdo

• Yes it will grow like jack and the beanstalk

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skittlebisquit

Just keep trying, victory brings glory
V.I.P Member
This is a picture of the stub of a bunch of celery from the grocery store. This is the part left over after I ate all the celery. I noticed that there seemed to be little leaves inside of the stalks that were all folded up really really tight, so I put it in a glass with some water.

There are more leaves now then there were before. But no roots. The celery clump is sitting in some sugar water inside a wine glass placed where it gets light. It's been in the
20210102_120246.jpg
wine glass for about a week.
I love working with plants they really cheer me up. Doing silly stuff like this makes me happy. But what will happen to the little celery bunch. Is it really alive? Will it grow up to be a big celery plant some day? Will it eventually grow roots?
I believe in second chances. I also like to be practical. I think that it will live for a while and then wither away. What do you think?
20210102_120246.jpg 20210102_120317.jpg

Attachments

• 20210102_120307.jpg
    20210102_120307.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 125
I know they'll suck up red ink. It's a biology experiment they gave us 50 years ago...

I don’t know for sure, but I would guess it’s akin to a cut-off flower stem, it perked up in the water and will stay that way for a while but will not re-grow a whole plant.

Not sure about celery, but mint will grow roots in a glass of water. Limp celery stiffens up in water.

The article tree posted says celery will regrow.
I always liked the potato and sweet potato in a jar of water.
Makes a nice window sill house plant.

Keep us informed on the celery. I love gardening also.
Curious on this one.

@Skittlebisquit I really like your geometrics and the black feather w/candle.
Do I see a rock there too?
Looks like my decor.

I am no expert at all. If you can grow celery from stalks, that's new to me! Keep us updated.

Here is what I know, however, from experience:

To root celery, you usually need the root end of the celery plant. Cut off all the stalks, leaving 2 inches of stalks on the celery end. stick it in a small amount of water for a week or two. It will begin rooting at this time. Celery is a cool season crop that also grows well in summer, but needs full shade.

I know a friend who uses rooting hormone to "clone" vegetables. He dips a lettuce leaf, celery stalk, etc, in the hormone (which you can buy from some garden stores or online) and soaks it in water. The piece of the plant then grows roots, which he then plants. It's really weird and cool.

The article tree posted says celery will regrow.
I always liked the potato and sweet potato in a jar of water.
Makes a nice window sill house plant.

Keep us informed on the celery. I love gardening also.
Curious on this one.

@Skittlebisquit I really like your geometrics and the black feather w/candle.
Do I see a rock there too?
Looks like my decor.
Thank you i will post more pics someday

Update:
It is still alive, at least still green on top. Some of the leaves rotted at the water line and got snippered off with snippers.
I will post fresh pics for comparison on valentag. No roots visible yet, but some rather bumpety types of bumps, or perhaps indications of where bumps might be bumpificational, not sure. Some sugar in the water, dk amount didnt measure(coffee stirring spoon used) no salt added, too chicken(bok bok bok)
No chickens were harmed to make this post

Im waiting for valenstag to plant it, besides its cold and dark an probably snowing here. Tomorrow i will take more pics and post the planting of Hermoine

Here is hermoine at 8 weeks
20210215_125321.jpg

According to the really neat link posted above it is ready to plant
20210215_125338.jpg
No obvious roots forming, alot of rotting veg around base removed. Water becomes cloudy over night

New Threads

Top Bottom