• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is every special interest connected to collecting data?

While in university, one of my necessary classes was a geology lab where we had to study rocks for one class a week--two hours and fifteen minutes. I was never more bored and burnt out.

I'm glad though that you enjoy it!

I loved geology classes in college and considered becoming a geologist but was intimidated by the mathematics required by the chemistry aspects of geology. Decades later, I realized that I can do math as well as anyone else but always mistakenly thought that I was stupid because I literally memorized how to perform mathematical calculations. I am still fascinated by geology and have quite a collection of rocks from around the world.

I loved geology classes in college and considered becoming a geologist but was intimidated by the mathematics required by the chemistry aspects of geology. Decades later, I realized that I can do math as well as anyone else but always mistakenly thought that I was stupid because I literally memorized how to perform mathematical calculations. I am still fascinated by geology and have quite a collection of rocks from around the world.
That's super cool! :D

None of my interests are data collecting.

Music is one. I play some piano, banjo and voice. Do you play compositions or improvisations?

You mentioned day dreaming. I used to love to day dream. I’d completely forgotten about that. Not anymore.

I also like wilderness and whitewater canoeing, tropical fruits and vegetables and orchids.

But I don’t need to know everything about any of it. None of it is particularly technical or data driven.
Sorry, it just downed on me that I wanted to write you back and then forgot ;D I mostly play improvisations! But most of them are based on songs that are already composed. Like, to learn how to play a jazz standard I need to learn the theme melody and then improvise on that.

I would say probably not every special interest is related to data.
One of my special interests is horses, specifically Haflinger horses. There are two kinds of them--the old European style which is smaller and chunkier, and the "modern type" which is a bit leggier, more meant to be ridden than just used for general-purpose work. I like the originals, the smaller and scruffier ones.

It's not hard to find them interesting. Knowing a bit of data about them helps with appreciating, but I've been curious ever since I saw one as an "extra" in an old movie.

This photo might say "need more data" to some people but to me it says "a decent team of horses, wearing a slightly ridiculous-looking light harness" and doesn't have to say any more.

(For clarification: I didn't take this picture. Wish I did. Usually when around horses I am too busy to bother with the camera.)

Haflingers.jpg
This picture screams "Bourgeoise Horse People". We used to board and also break horses for these types. Big houses, spanish tile roofs, Beautiful stables, commutes 2 hours to a job to pay for it all.... with a trophy wife who collects the prettiest horses, that she honestly knows very little about.

We met a lot of them. But their horses were always so sweet. Usually terrified at first, but we would slowly teach them that people were safe, and by the time the horse went to their forever home, I would cry because the bond was so close between us.

I still have a list of other people's horses, in my heart, right along with the people I miss.

My sister is a geologist her husband a mining engineer they both go to Bancroft for a rock show every year.

I love collecting data for many things. I have a lot of small interests, which I can do sometimes.
My love, though, is cooking. I don't collect data the conventional way, I just do it instinctively. Since I was a kid, I just knew how to cook. So the data is in odor, taste, combinations, adapting, substituting, and pretty much never making the same thing twice.
I can't really eat consistently unless I make it. Too boring. Unless I get a craving.
I don't know how thick my recipe folders are, so I do collect those. I just really only reference a few basic proportions, though.

I find that the data collecting aspect of my interests happens kinda as a consequence of that interest.

I tend to collect knowledge about lots of random things though. At times there's some "cross pollination" between my interests.

I guess my main interest is vintage computers. I learn a lot about them and I'm sometimes surprised about what is stored in my brain. Obscure IC/Chip numbers like AY3-8912 and u765.

I have a tendency to infodump when some topic of conversation lands me in my special interest zone. I try to be aware when I'm doing this but it still sneaks through.

A big problem I have is that I pick up lots of stuff randomly and people think I've been actively looking up information. Particularly if that information happens to be medical in some way. As if medical stuff is some big secret.

The irony is that they don't see that the exact same thing happens with a variety of stuff. I can't help it, it's just the way my brain works.

I find that the data collecting aspect of my interests happens kinda as a consequence of that interest.

I tend to collect knowledge about lots of random things though. At times there's some "cross pollination" between my interests.

I guess my main interest is vintage computers. I learn a lot about them and I'm sometimes surprised about what is stored in my brain. Obscure IC/Chip numbers like AY3-8912 and u765.

I have a tendency to infodump when some topic of conversation lands me in my special interest zone. I try to be aware when I'm doing this but it still sneaks through.

A big problem I have is that I pick up lots of stuff randomly and people think I've been actively looking up information. Particularly if that information happens to be medical in some way. As if medical stuff is some big secret.

The irony is that they don't see that the exact same thing happens with a variety of stuff. I can't help it, it's just the way my brain works.
This is a weird habit of mine, I collect Alienware computers.
Don't even ask me why.

Every time I hear about autistic special interests, collecting data is mentioned. And I get that a lot of people do that. Some of the interests that I have had indeed had this element - like researching universities and careers and learning English idioms and grammar (I'm not a native). But some of them were/are just about being in touch with the interest - like reading tons of books or watching tv series (or being addicted to The Sims 3). I didn't want to learn about the authors or actors. I just wanted to be constantly immersed in that world (at some point, I wanted to become a scriptwriter, so then I shifted to analyzing scripts and the life/education of the writers I admired, but that's a different story).

Now I have this with playing the piano. I enjoy learning about different kinds of instruments and the history of the instrument I play, but I wouldn't say it's the core of my interest. The core is that I want to play, and I want to play it just right. So, it's not really a topic I can talk a lot about cause I just play. But I love it. Okay, I can talk about it, but it's not the same as info dumping research I conducted.

Or daydreaming! I don't really talk about it with people cause they would think I'm crazy, but it's something that takes up a lot of my time and attention. And since I can do it anywhere, it's hard to stop doing it. I consider it my special interest.

What do your special interests look like? Is collecting data always involved? Do you relate to anything I've written? I'm curious if anyone else considers daydreaming their special interest. I've read that many people on the spectrum experience maladaptive daydreaming!
Julamjules, thank you for your question giving me something important to think about.
All my life, I have thought I was a dilettante (not in a good way). I dabble at this, try that for a while, jump to something tangential, and next month something completely unrelated.
Once I have what I think I needed from whatever that topic is, it's enough for me. I don't need mastery or even a complete understanding. At some point, it is enough.
Thank you so much

Every time I hear about autistic special interests, collecting data is mentioned. And I get that a lot of people do that. Some of the interests that I have had indeed had this element - like researching universities and careers and learning English idioms and grammar (I'm not a native). But some of them were/are just about being in touch with the interest - like reading tons of books or watching tv series (or being addicted to The Sims 3). I didn't want to learn about the authors or actors. I just wanted to be constantly immersed in that world (at some point, I wanted to become a scriptwriter, so then I shifted to analyzing scripts and the life/education of the writers I admired, but that's a different story).

Now I have this with playing the piano. I enjoy learning about different kinds of instruments and the history of the instrument I play, but I wouldn't say it's the core of my interest. The core is that I want to play, and I want to play it just right. So, it's not really a topic I can talk a lot about cause I just play. But I love it. Okay, I can talk about it, but it's not the same as info dumping research I conducted.

Or daydreaming! I don't really talk about it with people cause they would think I'm crazy, but it's something that takes up a lot of my time and attention. And since I can do it anywhere, it's hard to stop doing it. I consider it my special interest.

What do your special interests look like? Is collecting data always involved? Do you relate to anything I've written? I'm curious if anyone else considers daydreaming their special interest. I've read that many people on the spectrum experience mal-adaptive daydreaming!
As a creator and visionary, I have to daydream via photos to create my artwork, i'd love to breakdown the process a bit. By daydreaming, you just image scenarios playing out in your head based on what you see and what your taking in visually?

This is a weird habit of mine, I collect Alienware computers.
Don't even ask me why.
That's cool! No need to justify it here :) You like what you like. Alienware have always produced very bold looking machines. You can also see how tastes have changed over time, from over the top neon colours to the more subtle and business like look with some low key RGB lighting.

These things were always a big deal, they are supposed to be something special and desirable but also super expensive. So being able to get them certainly has it's appeal.

When I was younger, even having a computer was a big deal. They were exciting things and for me, that excitement never went away, it's like my perception of them is stuck in a time loop. So to me, an obsolete computer still has the same appeal it did when they were shiny and new! :)

That's cool! No need to justify it here :) You like what you like. Alienware have always produced very bold looking machines. You can also see how tastes have changed over time, from over the top neon colours to the more subtle and business like look with some low key RGB lighting.

These things were always a big deal, they are supposed to be something special and desirable but also super expensive. So being able to get them certainly has it's appeal.

When I was younger, even having a computer was a big deal. They were exciting things and for me, that excitement never went away, it's like my perception of them is stuck in a time loop. So to me, an obsolete computer still has the same appeal it did when they were shiny and new! :)
Judge Judy No GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs

Your thoughts at the end ARE valid... At least til you try to load a website and then you have to take a Snack break because that buffering symbol won't go away.

In March this year, I started a fascination with wood baseball bats. I started purchasing different models of bats and inputted their every 1/2" measurement data so I could compare them side to side. I was hitting with all these bats, and kept detailed notes on how each one swung - balance, end-load, handle feel, knob feel...

Attachments

• Untitled picture.png
    Untitled picture.png
    340.2 KB · Views: 40

New Threads

Top Bottom