• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is every special interest connected to collecting data?

Every time I hear about autistic special interests, collecting data is mentioned. And I get that a lot of people do that. Some of the interests that I have had indeed had this element - like researching universities and careers and learning English idioms and grammar (I'm not a native). But some of them were/are just about being in touch with the interest - like reading tons of books or watching tv series (or being addicted to The Sims 3). I didn't want to learn about the authors or actors. I just wanted to be constantly immersed in that world (at some point, I wanted to become a scriptwriter, so then I shifted to analyzing scripts and the life/education of the writers I admired, but that's a different story).

Now I have this with playing the piano. I enjoy learning about different kinds of instruments and the history of the instrument I play, but I wouldn't say it's the core of my interest. The core is that I want to play, and I want to play it just right. So, it's not really a topic I can talk a lot about cause I just play. But I love it. Okay, I can talk about it, but it's not the same as info dumping research I conducted.

Or daydreaming! I don't really talk about it with people cause they would think I'm crazy, but it's something that takes up a lot of my time and attention. And since I can do it anywhere, it's hard to stop doing it. I consider it my special interest.

What do your special interests look like? Is collecting data always involved? Do you relate to anything I've written? I'm curious if anyone else considers daydreaming their special interest. I've read that many people on the spectrum experience maladaptive daydreaming!

Not all special interests are hardcore, must learn everything or I have failed in my efforts mode. I love to read, but I read a wide spectrum of books and I have a soft spot for vintage regency romance (way before Bridgerton was a thing and a bit more tongue in cheek than Austen). I simply love the period and the fluff.

I have a number of houseplants and I know the basics, but am in now way any more than a novice. I just like keeping my plants growing.

My dog knows a thousand stupid tricks, but again, it isn't much beyond novice level. I just like messing around with Rue to see what he can do.

I dabble in writing, but for the most part it's junk work, but I enjoy doing it.

A lot of data gathering comes down to the type of interests one has. If it is a subject or specific topic (e.g. fandoms or music groups), then yes, data is easy to garner and ASDers will mine any available sources.

Other interests like creative outlets are going to be different. With writing theory and how tos will only get one so far. You either write it or own a thousand unrealized ideas.

With a pet, let's just say not all of them are created equal. Rue can count and spell, Zwi knows down and hold. (This is a point when facts, while interesting, don't impact the active engagement.)

My plants are healthy and green. I know the kinds I have and their requirements, but someone else can know all there is to know about orchids and still not be able to grow them.

There are different types of knowledge and skill sets involved with any interest. Passive and rote retention of facts and data is different than a hands on skill like woodworking.

I would say probably not every special interest is related to data.
One of my special interests is horses, specifically Haflinger horses. There are two kinds of them--the old European style which is smaller and chunkier, and the "modern type" which is a bit leggier, more meant to be ridden than just used for general-purpose work. I like the originals, the smaller and scruffier ones.

It's not hard to find them interesting. Knowing a bit of data about them helps with appreciating, but I've been curious ever since I saw one as an "extra" in an old movie.

This photo might say "need more data" to some people but to me it says "a decent team of horses, wearing a slightly ridiculous-looking light harness" and doesn't have to say any more.

(For clarification: I didn't take this picture. Wish I did. Usually when around horses I am too busy to bother with the camera.)

Haflingers.jpg

Last edited:
That photo says we are twinsies, we do parties and weddings, however our calender is booked until the end of the year. Please contact the office.

As Gandalf said of Hobbits, 'Hobbits really are amazing creatures, as I have said before. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch.'

(J.R.R. Tolkien, Fellowship of the Ring)

Yeah, I don't think that all special interests are inherently tied to collecting data or information about it. It just might seem that way because infodumping is a fairly common way for autistics to talk about their special interests.

Like one of my special interests is 80s fashion and I'd say the main parts of that interest are just my admiration for women's fashions during that decade and wanting to incorporate 80s fashions into my own wardrobe and style, y'know?

I do know a bit about the history of fashion trends during that decade because of this special interest, but I'm not exactly constantly doing research to find out that like 'so-and-so look was popularized by so-and-so celebrity in late 1983 and became really popular throughout 1984 and 1985' or whatever, y'know? It's more 'looking at scans of fashion magazines, old store catalogs, etc and thinking "WOW these outfits, hairstyles, and makeup look so cool and stylish".

None of my interests are data collecting.

Music is one. I play some piano, banjo and voice. Do you play compositions or improvisations?

You mentioned day dreaming. I used to love to day dream. I’d completely forgotten about that. Not anymore.

I also like wilderness and whitewater canoeing, tropical fruits and vegetables and orchids.

But I don’t need to know everything about any of it. None of it is particularly technical or data driven.

Any time you look at a group as large and diverse we are, it seems there will rarely be an ALWAYS. We are each so different.

I can relate to daydreaming as a fascination. I do it less often now, but I have processed many major life feelings through daydreaming. Now I can get more easily lured into fantastical thinking, like thinking and talking about dragons, ninjas, robots, and magic.

I love ballet, l was consumed with taking alot of classes in my early twenties. But l am not consumed with learning more, except l studied a little bit about toe shoes, because it can be painful yet liberating to walk on toes. It's the repetitive exercises and stretches that l love to this day. I wanted to join the ballet company, but l hadn't studied since very young, it's was very strict standards to get in. Now everyone can participate.

Last edited:
I suppose most of my "special interests" involve varying degrees of research.

Technically most of it being an analogue collection of data outside my building personal computers.

Last edited:
Music collecting is about data, but music listening is more like a stim - it calms me and keeps me on an even keel.

I am also nearly always daydreaming when i have free time! Listening to music and pacing around the house.

I am not sure about collecting data. I think i like collecting data about subjects i am interested in, but it is more than that.

For example i used to make lists on books about what food the characters ate. Or the clothes they wore. I liked reading these parts of the book so i wrote them down in order not to forget. It is collecting data in a way but not in a normal way thats for sure.

None of my special interests involve collecting data.
I collect rocks.
Learning new things about special interests, yes.
Science, physics, medicine, nature, plants.
I read articles and news about my interests.
Music is something I need in the background whatever I am doing.
It's a calming obsession.
But I don't study anything about it.

Every time I hear about autistic special interests, collecting data is mentioned. And I get that a lot of people do that. Some of the interests that I have had indeed had this element - like researching universities and careers and learning English idioms and grammar (I'm not a native). But some of them were/are just about being in touch with the interest - like reading tons of books or watching tv series (or being addicted to The Sims 3). I didn't want to learn about the authors or actors. I just wanted to be constantly immersed in that world (at some point, I wanted to become a scriptwriter, so then I shifted to analyzing scripts and the life/education of the writers I admired, but that's a different story).

Now I have this with playing the piano. I enjoy learning about different kinds of instruments and the history of the instrument I play, but I wouldn't say it's the core of my interest. The core is that I want to play, and I want to play it just right. So, it's not really a topic I can talk a lot about cause I just play. But I love it. Okay, I can talk about it, but it's not the same as info dumping research I conducted.

Or daydreaming! I don't really talk about it with people cause they would think I'm crazy, but it's something that takes up a lot of my time and attention. And since I can do it anywhere, it's hard to stop doing it. I consider it my special interest.

What do your special interests look like? Is collecting data always involved? Do you relate to anything I've written? I'm curious if anyone else considers daydreaming their special interest. I've read that many people on the spectrum experience maladaptive daydreaming!
Hello! I'm a musician too--a composer and keyboardist. While I didn't know it at the time, my autism has shaped who I've wanted to be as a musician more deeply than I'd ever thought about.

As far as collecting data goes--if recordings and music can be seen as 'data' in a sense, I'd say you're right. For about a decade I was obsessed (in every meaning of the word) with the music of Bach. My ears and brain demanded his music as a form of escapism in college and times of stress. I would spend so much money on recordings--anything from the local book shop to iTunes. I was determined to hear his entire output and all on 'perfect' recordings (period instruments). I was hell-bent on the notion of hearing all of his works and collecting them in single tracks. I wanted exactly 1,128+ tracks of his music.

I would spend my time in my journals venting and writing, noting what piece was on my mind or in my ears; every fifty pages, I would make a playlist of what music I'd talked about and listen to it til I'd completed another fifty pages. All of this music would be played on repeat on my iPod. When I felt the time was right, I began to draft lists in my journals of his music, and on my computer--his music listed either numerically or by alphabetical title (more accurate in my opinion) or by mentions in biographies. Keep in mind that all of this was a need and I had no idea why. For a decade.

When my now-fiance and I moved into our home together, I stopped being obsessed with Bach and moved onto other Baroque composers, and even gained an ear for plainchant. His music is still something I love very much, and I have become more interested in learning it at the keyboard--but...it's interesting to look back and see how much of a...quirk it was at the time.

My special interest in general has been Baroque music for half my lifetime; I've studied composition, organ, and harpsichord. I don't consider daydreaming an interest of mine but I always daydream.

None of my special interests involve collecting data.
I collect rocks.
Learning new things about special interests, yes.
Science, physics, medicine, nature, plants.
I read articles and news about my interests.
Music is something I need in the background whatever I am doing.
It's a calming obsession.
But I don't study anything about it.
While in university, one of my necessary classes was a geology lab where we had to study rocks for one class a week--two hours and fifteen minutes. I was never more bored and burnt out.

I'm glad though that you enjoy it!

While in university, one of my necessary classes was a geology lab where we had to study rocks for one class a week--two hours and fifteen minutes. I was never more bored and burnt out.

I'm glad though that you enjoy it!
Just shows how different all our interests are.
One person's boredom is another's delight! ;)

I would love to access to one of those machines that break down what elements are
in a rock. Iron, copper, carbon, calcium, etc.
Like this news from where I live:

Sample of the New Port Richey fulgurite | Photo by: Matthew Pasek. After lightning struck a tree in a New Port Richey neighborhood, a University of South Florida professor discovered the strike led to the formation of a new phosphorus material.
9 hours ago.

Rocks my boat!

Oh wow thanks for all the answers! I'm sorry it took me so long to reply, but I really appreciate it! Yeah, I see, the data collecting factor depends on the type of the interest, as some of you mentioned. I guess special interests are not about data collecting but about the intensity of the interest. Also, I just reminded myself of another special interest that's not about data collecting - self-improvement/figuring yourself out! It sounds a bit self-centered but for me it's true! The intensity is huge but there's no data collecting. Just thinking. Or maybe googling some questions and reading everything that comes up :D

My husband loathes "researching" anything so he says but give him a model kit or figures to paint for a game and I won't see him for days. He is forever watching videos on it but I don't tell him that's still researching because in his mind that is my thing.

My husband loathes "researching" anything so he says but give him a model kit or figures to paint for a game and I won't see him for days. He is forever watching videos on it but I don't tell him that's still researching because in his mind that is my thing.

It is kind of funny. When we enjoy it, it feels like play. Which it is. When it feels like work we're more apt to call it research. Sometimes people say I like research and I think, "What are you talking about? I like learning. Research is what I have to do...like for a car, or a medical appointment."

New Threads

Top Bottom