• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is being nocturnal part of ASD?

King_Oni

V.I.P Member
We have this thread http://www.aspiescentral.com/obsessions-interests/1854-do-you-prefer-night-darkness.html

And actually I wanted to post in that thread, but I thought it might hijack it.

Every once in a while my mind goes; "hey... hey... here's a new theory, let's discuss this"

Most might have heard of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD; which is a hilarious pun if you ask me) or also known as "winter depression". It is believed it is being caused by a lack of sunlight and therefore people feel bad.

I actually wonder if this is just me trying to justify things... but looking at this thread and the replies here; The darkness makes me way happier. I notice I smile and joke around a lot more during night. Perhaps it is because of my confort level. One can wonder if, especially due to a vast majority posting in this thread if having a "mixed up" circadian rhythm isn't part of the autism spectrum as well. I'm willing to attribute this to a "emotional" disconnection to the outside world.

I also wonder if there's a possible SAD for summer. Because... y'know... less night, more day, more activity. I know due to sheer activty outside I'll get stressed out more from 5 am till 10 pm or so. But it also means I have less time to collect myself and enjoy my day.

An examples of people that actually have things going on in sync; it's been said that yawning if other people do has to do with empathy. I've heard a few people on the spectrum claiming this is not true for them. I've noticed that I don't really end up yawning as well, but maybe I'm paying attention and forcing denial too much.

Another one,and that might be something for the ladies here. I've read how hormonal cycles can be in sync. Does this hold up for aspie women as well? Imagine it's not... and it could be tested and proven. That could actually be part of how the aspie brain is actually disconnected to other humans a lot more.

It also makes me wonder if melatonin is actually the way to go? That, by itself sound an awful lot like "we created the world and everyone has to function with this". It sounds awfully ignorant that there is no assumption some people will be different in the past, present of future.

Last edited:
First of all I yawned when I read what you said about yawing...lol. Mabey the power of sugestion...idk?....

As for the dark/light/SAD and all...I like summer more than winter , but i like night better than day to a point.
I have cronic depression anyway but it's easier to deal with in summer. My mood is more 'bla' in winter and I feally pep up around spring.
As for day and night... I hate mornings and don't get any energy or pep untill later in the afternoon and then prefeer to stay up most of the night. I think it's may be more about the fact that it's quiet and most of the worle is alseep and that makes me feel more to myself and comforted becouse I prefeer to be to myself and not bothered by people. I don't like only night though. I love to go out on a beautifull sunny spring or summer day and take a scooter ride or something outside.

I prefer peace, quiet and personal space. Nine-to-five day would be better for me, if I do live in the fashionable pub area of urban Singapore where the day is actually quieter than the night. Thing is, I live in the suburbs, so I stay awake at nights with three fellow suburbanites, who are nocturnal animals.

But I try to control my sleep problems, and I force myself to go offline by 12 midnight. Sometimes, even earlier.

I have SAD. It has less to do with "preferring" night or dark than it does with how long the days are and the quality of sunlight. I still prefer a normal diurnal sleep schedule, but depending on the situation, I can enjoy both night and day for their different qualities. I love cities at night. I love swimming at night. I love going to shows at night. I love it when it rains in the city at night. But I love hiking in the day. I like sitting outside with a good book in the day, etc.

Depending where I am at, sensory issues can be more pronounced during the day. This could be why I don't mind crowds so much at night but during the day I can't stand them.

Another one,and that might be something for the ladies here. I've read how hormonal cycles can be in sync. Does this hold up for aspie women as well? Imagine it's not... and it could be tested and proven. That could actually be part of how the aspie brain is actually disconnected to other humans a lot more.

As a small aside, this particular claim is in fact somewhat dubious. Science-Based Medicine ? Menstrual Synchrony: Do Girls Who Go Together Flow Together?

This thread was merely an idea though... probably along the same lines how any research will start. "We might be onto something let's look into it". Perhaps my idea here makes no sense, lol.

I'm the opposite. I'm a morning person and wake up early, go to bed early.

I do sometimes wonder with people like this; is this because it's convenient, or habit? I used to be somewhat like this as well. Until I figured "hey, let's throw it around". Felt a lot better. But that's different for everyone. But fact is, society often revolves around "up early, in bed early" and becomes a habit over time, as well as means to function.

Maybe I'm interested in how this sleep/wake pattern works in a vacuum more.

New Threads

Top Bottom