• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is anyone really dirty

Yep! I was diagnosed with autism as a child then in 7th grade I was diagnosed with ADHD. I have an Adderall prescription which helps me immensely in focus so I can get my work done.

I actually like being both... the ADHD takes the edge off of my ASD :D. I just wish I didn't make so many messes (and so does my wife). What is worse than a mess? Trying to get the focus to clean it up!;)
Adderall.
Any side effects?

I have gone to my GP asking for something for my ADD. He said he couldn't give men anything and that I would have to go to a psychiatrist for a prescription. That was too hard and I dropped the idea. The coronavirus is now complicating things further.

Well... I have been researching this stuff for the last 15 years and have met many of us "mix" people. It is all part of the theoretical models I am working on.

We are generally a goofy compassionate wild "out of the box" thinking type. We are very different from most aspies.

Do you feel most loved and happy when someone lets you know that they feel your caring? (this is the best feeling ever for me :) ) This is predicted in the theory.

Generally, we are much more interactive and social as well.
I'm one of "Those". :cool:
You called me a "Protector" type aspie.
I can live with that. ;)

Adderall.
Any side effects?

I have gone to my GP asking for something for my ADD. He said he couldn't give men anything and that I would have to go to a psychiatrist for a prescription. That was too hard and I dropped the idea. The coronavirus is now complicating things further.

I have experienced no side effects other than getting my work done :) I think it is worth the effort!

Adderall.
Any side effects?

I haven’t really noticed any negative effects.

I'm a slight pack rat, and definitely a collector... There is always some slight clutter in my place, I would even say I don't like having my place "too clean" if that makes sense... I know that I left that pile of papers [there], I know where [there] is, it makes sense to me when it might not make sense to anyone else, and if someone moves something I'm lost...

I'm a slight pack rat, and definitely a collector... There is always some slight clutter in my place, I would even say I don't like having my place "too clean" if that makes sense... I know that I left that pile of papers [there], I know where [there] is, it makes sense to me when it might not make sense to anyone else, and if someone moves something I'm lost...
I prefer having a "Spartan" environment, the main reason is the ease of cleaning.
It isn't too "Leonidas" at the moment though. ;)

This thread reminds me of how in my adolescence I was content to remain a pathologically grubby rug rat. To which for a time Dad would yoddle, "one thing worse than a bad kid is a dirty kid, c'mere!". I'd freeze in the deepest trance of confusion, as if immitating a maniquin. Then Dad'd hoist my wittle boy frame into a warm bubble bath *splash*. Eventually I got wise to his no good trickery. Haha good times.

Best of luck original poster.

Hi, very Interesting. I was just analyzing a past coworker's habit for collecting figurines, on Monday actually, when I decided to dredge ye old googles fer some answers. I ended up reading an ancient paper. Of note is the authors taxonomize collectors into categories based on various intents i.e. nostalgia driven, driven by need to grapple with mortality/expiration date, driven by how novelty is gratifying, "ooh I seen it now I gotsta have it" - driven by compulsion, and various combos thereof, etcetera .

What's your reason?

:beercheers: cheers

Hi, very Interesting. I was just analyzing a past coworker's habit for collecting figurines, on Monday actually, when I decided to dredge ye old googles fer some answers. I ended up reading an ancient paper. Of note is the authors taxonomize collectors into categories based on various intents i.e. nostalgia driven, driven by need to grapple with mortality/expiration date, driven by how novelty is gratifying, "ooh I seen it now I gotsta have it" - driven by compulsion, and various combos thereof, etcetera .

What's your reason?

:beercheers: cheers

The main thing I collect is vintage photos (and I don't mean my old family photos), you might call it nostalgia, I call it a love of history... I enjoy collecting vintage photos of cars and people and sometimes whatever else seems interesting, some of them are over 100 years old, certainly most photos in my collection pre-date my date of birth... Just this week I acquired a large collection of colour slides from an estate sale...

The main thing I collect is vintage photos (and I don't mean my old family photos), you might call it nostalgia, I call it a love of history... I enjoy collecting vintage photos of cars and people and sometimes whatever else seems interesting, some of them are over 100 years old, certainly most photos in my collection pre-date my date of birth... Just this week I acquired a large collection of colour slides from an estate sale...
Even more interesting -100+ years is very old- would you tell me more?

(Btw, once whilst dredging I encountered old timey photos. Next, the associations and just general mesmerism took furious hold. I hurriedly closed the browser tab before the stimulus burrowed deep into my psyche and added itself to my overengorged bag of hobbies. Phew, close one lol.)

Fell across the statement that a cluttered house equals a cluttered mind. The other statement is don't let your things manage you: example: when you spend your day frequenting your piles of useless civilization that you hoard and move and collect more of. Find these statements very Confucius and they help me moderate my life. Right now l need to downsize my shoes.

(Btw, once whilst dredging I encountered old timey photos. Next, the associations and just general mesmerism took furious hold. I hurriedly closed the browser tab before the stimulus burrowed deep into my psyche and added itself to my overengorged bag of hobbies. Phew, close one lol.)

There was a large industry between 1900 and 1920 (and beyond) for postcards, and people back then were taking photos as well... It's fairly common to find postcards of that vintage...

Haha... You cannot imagine how many hobbies-interests I have. It is soooo difficult not to pick up new ones. I have a very patient wife... and lots of stuff.

Letsee...

Chemistry, Astronomy, Languages, Vedic Spirituality (Fascinating metaphors), Culture, Traveling, Fabrication, Functional Cognitive Typology, Cooking, Tractors, Cars, Bush Crafting (new), Photography, Birds, Sex, Computers, History, Egalitarianism, Philosophy, Politics, Psychedelics and more.

I am sure I am forgetting about 50 percent or so.

Hygiene has become a problem for me since moving back in with my family several years ago. We’re living in a hoard, so what’s the point? On the plus side, my skin & hair are healthier now that I wash less. Additionally, I am somewhat less of a burden on laundry day since I don’t change my clothes as often. I’m unemployed atm so I can get away with being a dirty little pig.:):eek::confused:

Letsee...

Chemistry, Astronomy, Languages, Vedic Spirituality (Fascinating metaphors), Culture, Traveling, Fabrication, Functional Cognitive Typology, Cooking, Tractors, Cars, Bush Crafting (new), Photography, Birds, Sex, Computers, History, Egalitarianism, Philosophy, Politics, Psychedelics and more.

I am sure I am forgetting about 50 percent or so.

original Joke
person: why do pursue such nerdy hobbies?
me: because I want to be popular and win lots and lots of friends... lol

At community college I am loner. At high school I wasn't a loner. In junior high I wasn't a loner. In home school I was a loner cloaked in a faux state of extroversion from untreated ADHD (until I received dietary treatment).

I recall grasping the art of buddyship around 7th grade year. Upon readmittance to brick and mortor school I was intent on deploying my beginner social skills. The plan was to make at least one connection amongst my cohorts. Then I met Waldo. He was smart but an underachiever, a neurotypical from an abusive home pathologized by acholism. Waldo left by freshman year so I buddied up with one gal and two guys. Both smart and fascinated me by their athleticism and academic capabilities. I enjoyed taking the girl twice to an annual banquet. I did a few outings for sports with the others. Those were my bc years, before curiosity.

Book hobbying first emerged in the form of an encyclopedia set Mom convinced Dad to purchase before they divorced. I recall how those neat and narrow stacks of text would trigger brief shifts into a fugue-like state of pure curiosity. Boyhood was mostly errands to and from school to observe jaw japping old folks fetching student homework and assigning new ones. My mind was eager for escape and now I had a reason. Prior to book reading was basketball jump shot mechanics, car washing, yard work, eavesdropping on neighbors with a walky talky amplified by a tether ball pole attenae, duct tape strands and strands of it, nudey mags, cigarettes, and TV. Jerry Springer and Steve Wilco were my evening mentors for a time. Eventually Mom arrived early from work then decided those fellas guts weren't age appropriate and/or didn't want their random viewings spoiling episodes for later heh.That is to say, the network was primarily trash shows in cyndication.

Jerry and Steve taught me everything: deficient english/ebonics, how to curse like a charming hoodlum, smoke cigarettes, defy anyone whose age contained a Y in it, subvert perfectly healthy church fourier chat with all kinds of obscene derangements. Btw church people loved gossip, and by loved I mean vicariously craved it. I wasn't dennis the mennis or nothing, but in my most shameful moments the filth oozed past my filter and then it was all bossomy black female pimps. Bickering mexican baby momma harlots. Biracial white lesbians french kissing and groping. A real filth festy hoot n holler! Everytime time my audience was entranced - that meant something ya know. I was a natural story teller lol. Maybe I had future in the journalism, like the tabloids, or the Onion (my dream job that or librarian).

The Masters and John's report was all to blame. It opened a portal to the land of debauchery that would've claimed my little boy mind if not for Mom. She however slammed that one violently shut. No one ever suspected the encyclopedia set was to blame. I'm mature and civil today but I've had a transgressive streak ever since.

Last edited:
original Joke
person: why do pursue such nerdy hobbies?
me: because I want to be popular and win lots and lots of friends...

Haha... I used to say the same thing... knowing lots of stuff would make me popular at parties :)

At community college I am loner. At high school I wasn't a loner. In junior high I wasn't a loner. In home school I was a loner cloaked in a faux state of extroversion from untreated ADHD (until I received dietary treatment).

If you are in your first year, It may get better next year... if you want to be social. For some reason, I always had girls who were into me and I was/am very social for an Aspie. The girls definitely kept me social. I am both Extreme ADD and ASD-2/3 (This would have been my dx when I was a child). It is pretty amazing how extreme I really am, lol.

The Masters and John's report was all to blame. It opened a portal to the land of debauchery that would've claimed my little boy mind if not for Mom. She however slammed that one violently shut. No one ever suspected the encyclopedia set was to blame. I'm mature and civil today but I've had a transgressive streak ever since.

Haha... I used to frequent Powell's books here in Portland. I loved the free book box! Tons of college texts on everything. I found a book called "The Female Orgasm" by Seymour Fisher :eek:. I was already playing doctor with the neighborhood girls my age.. now I had a new goal. I am surprised my parents did not ship me off to military school! There would have been some sad girls in the neighborhood:(

I look mature and civilized but I am actually more animal than human. I don't really get humans that well outside of a theoretical understanding.

I like your stories and your prose. I think you would make a great writer :)

Back when I shared a room with my brother, our room was such a mess that I was often uncomfortable in it. Including my dresser- I can't blame him for that, I suppose. Once we got separate rooms I was better at keeping it neat.

But as much as I like a tidy room, I'm kind of too lazy to keep it that way. Some things have a specific place, and are always kept there, but the stuff that hasn't got a place just piles up sometimes.

I'm not obsessively neat, but I'm not a slob, either.

New Threads

Top Bottom