• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

IQ tests for people with Autism are a horrible idea!

@ DaRKMsOul18 So, because it's hard for you, it's a bad idea for everybody? It's always been true that adjustments have to be made for some people, which can include the type of test. Lots of NTs have test anxiety or other reasons for doing badly unless their needs are taken into consideration. So what makes autistics special? I'm tired of seeing people use their own personal experiences as a template for everyone else.

Well I am sure that during the IQ test my stress level was so hight that it hurted me realy bad and made me unable to focus so I am sure i have lost points due to my stress.

But at the same time being autistic, according to my therapist can be hightlighted by a very uneven score in each part of the test.
And when the test is uneven you cant use the global number because the method isnt respected.

And this is what the test showed in my case. Even if the result got reduced by my stress it showed realy uneven results( between 141 down to 70 kek.)

I will edit the post later to show the redults precisely.

My therapist told me that the test is itself irrelevant to measure the global intelligence but at the same time it can shows that we dont have the same intelligence.

But yeah this test was one of the worst day of my life and the stress made me less functionnal and i lost some points just because I heard noise outside.

In my state of residence, an IQ test is required to determine whether someone with ASD qualifies for Medicaid. Applicants must score 70 or lower in order to qualify. Thus, highly intelligent people who score high on the IQ test but are low functioning in all other areas, and who are in need of financial assistance, do not qualify for those benefits. The state will not accept the argument that the disability of autism is the functional equivalent of mental retardation because the statute specifies the IQ score needed to qualify. It's a real catch-22 here.

I was given a IQ test when I was diagnosed. This was ten years ago and they were still using the DSM-4 then. Using that criteria, you can not have delays in the cognitive or linguistic areas. If there are delays in these areas, the diagnosis will be classic autism, not Asperger's. They used a IQ test to make that determination. They do not use the DSM-4 anymore in the US and there is no Asperger's Syndrome in the DSM-5.

I've taken this test in a variety of forms. The only thing I can say about it is that anyone who thinks they can assign intelligence a number just failed the intelligence test. I've even answered questions correctly that certain tests were mistaken about.

Before buying into the test ask yourself this question, "Are those who are giving the test fit to make the assumptions inherent in the scoring."

I've always viewed IQ tests as a series of puzzles and games. It really minimizes distress, but it still generates some eustress.

"Are those who are giving the test fit to make the assumptions inherent in the scoring."
At my last IQ test, the neurologist seemed to be either offended or insecure when he saw my scores.* (I had been in the gifted class in junior high and had been versed in the basics of giftedness. He had not been so versed.)

It is better to find one with a background in autism. If you suspect that you are gifted, an expert in giftedness would work, too. They are both forms of neuro-diversity.

*He over-pathologized my scores and it took an independent 2E expert to straighten out my records.

Last edited:
@ DaRKMsOul18 So, because it's hard for you, it's a bad idea for everybody? It's always been true that adjustments have to be made for some people, which can include the type of test. Lots of NTs have test anxiety or other reasons for doing badly unless their needs are taken into consideration. So what makes autistics special? I'm tired of seeing people use their own personal experiences as a template for everyone else.

You don't understand what I'm saying.

Bad idea for Autistic kids IMO, if an AS kid does an IQ test, and it turns out they're, for want of a better word, daft, and the school Bullies find out, the poor kid's life would be made hell.

Bad idea for Autistic kids IMO, if an AS kid does an IQ test, and it turns out they're, for want of a better word, daft, and the school Bullies find out, the poor kid's life would be made hell.

And the bully would be stupid, because, Kids with Autism often have bad IQ scores and high Intellegence.

The world operates from the foundations of nature. Everyone is some variation of a mix of qualities. Though we shouldn't judge people cruelly for their short-comings, nor praise them for their extraordinary talents, we still know we find uses for the human attributes we all carry. Nature is not fair, so you don't merit any of the natural qualities you might have been born with. The results from testing skills can be used to weed out those deemed less competent. Testing can also help determine strengths and interests. I am in favor of testing because it has become a normal way for us to determine applicable potential in any given area of study and training. Testing can be flawed because the test methods or the interpretation of behavior used in an assessment have to be given a rating. These ratings put us into some kind of hierarchy which we interpret as better or worse than someone else. Intelligence testing should be dealt with the same way one handles a medical test. Most are not public knowledge and are useful only to the person who has the test done or needs proof of any test results in order to help that person. Beware of the humans - there is no such thing as an expert.

Tests with language involved are bogus anyway. A CPM test will give an accurate result assuming there's no outside distraction and interference.

They used a IQ test to make that determination.

That's kind of weird, if the diagnostic evaluation is being done as an adult.....since early delays don't always folliow a developmental path leading to lifelong cognitive or linguistic impairment.

That's kind of weird, if the diagnostic evaluation is being done as an adult.....since early delays don't always folliow a developmental path leading to lifelong cognitive or linguistic impairment.

I did not say early delays, just delays at the time of the diagnosis. Maybe a better word would have been "impairment". In the old DSM-4, the patient had to be of at least average intelligence in the cognitive and linguistic areas to qualify for a Asperger's diagnosis. This was determined with a IQ test, at least it was in my diagnosis. Sorry for the confusion, I did not explain that the best way. I guess it really does not make any difference now, since the DSM-4 is not used any more.

I did not say early delays, just delays at the time of the diagnosis. Maybe a better word would have been "impairment". In the old DSM-4, the patient had to be of at least average intelligence in the cognitive and linguistic areas to qualify for a Asperger's diagnosis. This was determined with a IQ test, at least it was in my diagnosis. Sorry for the confusion, I did not explain that the best way. I guess it really does not make any difference now, since the DSM-4 is not used any more.

These are the relevent criteria (source: https://iancommunity.org/cs/about_asds/about_asds_dsm_iv_criteria_for_aspergers_syndrome:

D. There is no clinically significant general delay in language (e.g., single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years).

E. There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self-help skills, adaptive behavior (other than social interaction), and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

New Threads

Top Bottom