• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

IQ and success

i've been in mensa, a few years back. my last iq test yielded 135 and that was good enough to gain entry, without further examination. you just mail in the test results, signed by the examiner, along with your application.......and you're in. the particular test gave 135 as being in the 99th percentile. must be in top 2% to join. i joined in the hopes of finding a job that would make use of my particular talents. no such luck.

went to two parties, might as well as gone to fraternity parties on a university campus. certain i was the only one with a.s. in our chapter. not my thing.

i did have some articles published in the mensa international, the world-wide magazine. about travel, animal rights and why THEY hate us. received some way interesting mail from them. all over the planet.

left mensa for various reasons. your weirdness may be different than mine. you might be able to cope with the arrogance, and all the other stuff.

peace and love-----danandlouie

i am only certain of my intelligence. it matters, but it's not the only thing that matters. i feel you.

Typing doesn't mean much here, but thanks. XD

I often wonder if most people with Asperger's have high IQ's and I'm just abnormal or something. What's interesting is that I find the people with higher IQ's are usually the quickest to say IQ's don't matter.

no, aspies can have normal iqs. but the aspies with high iqs tt i know lament tt more can be done for them, they feel success is entitled to them. thing is, is success itself entitled?

even though ppl work hard, and are smart... i dunno what comes into play

It's possible to have less than average actual IQ (not "hidden" IQ) when it comes to a.s.d., but I think that in this forum everyone seems to have their wits about them. The myth that all of us are smart is just that, a myth - sadly, the truth is due to the nature of the disorder there may be some who may very well be truly impaired and have more to worry about than finding success. Even so, it's still only a number and it means little on its own when you forget to take into account all the rest of the factors involved in success.

On RPM tests, the only tests I can trust online or IRL, I consistently score in the 125-140 range and I'm nowhere near in a position that would be expected of someone that given measured intelligence. I'm under utilizing myself in fact, working at a grocery store and such. I also really don't have much motivation (or money) right now to get back in school and do something more worthwhile with myself. Come to think of it, I've never really been motivated to do much more with myself other than the bare minimum just to get by. I guess you could say that I'm an underachiever of sorts.

Last edited:
We are all under-achievers of some sorts - high IQs just means we're using our skills less than what we can possibly achieve.

Success is a combination of IQ and effort. I was tested as having an IQ of 140, but graduated with a C+ average in high school and close to failing out of college. I'm amazing at working construction and that's the college degree I'm hoping to get. But unfortunatly, I don't get motivated very easily during class.

So effort can compensate for a lower IQ, but a higher IQ doesn't always mean success.

Indeed. It's even harder to motivate high-IQ individuals, given that they need a little more push to do more things.

Not to forget opportunities laying ahead of us, too. Let's make the best out of them!

New Threads

Top Bottom