• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Introduction

bookworm44

How does one introduce oneself in a way that gets across the essence of who they are? It's a daunting task, so perhaps I'll just stick to facts and figures for now.

I am 44 years old and was diagnosed with Asperger's at the age of 41. I have been divorced for less than a year following a 20 year marriage, and I have an 11 year old son who lives primarily with me and is also on the autism spectrum. I have spent the last couple of years developing face to face friendships because it was pretty scary to be first separated and then divorced and starting over with only two friends. I now have several really close friends but when I get overwhelmed, it is still incredibly hard to pick up the phone and reach out to them. So I'm here looking for online friends, or at least a place to share information with others.

So, that's a little bit about me. To those of you who read this, I'm curious as to what brought you here and what keeps you coming back? Any recommendations for me?

Hi Book worm, and welcome,
Im in the same boat, except for the divorce bit. In my 40 's, and a 17 yr old son with Aspergers, as well. Marriage is a struggle, so I can understand the difficulties, youve face. What keeps me coming back to this site, are the members. They truely are unique and diverse and they look after there own. Their support has helped me thru some rough patches. In here we are not alone in the world, and we can just, be

Cheers
Turk

Welcome to the forums. Lots of good people here to help you with any questions you have.

Welcome Bookworm :)

The reason I came to this site, was to find answers; as I am self-diagnosed, and am working on making it official. What has allowed me to stay is a combination of curiosity, enjoying the rare instances where I can relate with other people, and the lovely and helpful community on this site.

In terms of recommendations, I suppose it depends on what you're looking for.

Hi Book worm, and welcome,
Im in the same boat, except for the divorce bit. In my 40 's, and a 17 yr old son with Aspergers, as well. Marriage is a struggle, so I can understand the difficulties, youve face. What keeps me coming back to this site, are the members. They truely are unique and diverse and they look after there own. Their support has helped me thru some rough patches. In here we are not alone in the world, and we can just, be

Cheers
Turk

Thank you, Turk. I appreciate the reply and the insight. I definitely need a place where I can just be.

Welcome Bookworm :)

The reason I came to this site, was to find answers; as I am self-diagnosed, and am working on making it official. What has allowed me to stay is a combination of curiosity, enjoying the rare instances where I can relate with other people, and the lovely and helpful community on this site.

In terms of recommendations, I suppose it depends on what you're looking for.

Hi Vanilla,

Thanks for replying and sharing about yourself. It sounds like there are a lot of good things here, so that makes me a bit less nervous about sharing myself.

As far as recommendations, I guess I am wondering if there are any unwritten rules about interacting here that would help me as I get started. But I'm sure I will figure those out by reading a lot of the threads and seeing how people are on the site.

Thank you again!
Bookworm

Hi Vanilla,

Thanks for replying and sharing about yourself. It sounds like there are a lot of good things here, so that makes me a bit less nervous about sharing myself.

As far as recommendations, I guess I am wondering if there are any unwritten rules about interacting here that would help me as I get started. But I'm sure I will figure those out by reading a lot of the threads and seeing how people are on the site.

Thank you again!
Bookworm

Generally speaking, you just have to make sure you post any threads you may want to post, under the correct topics; otherwise, it should be pretty straight forward. There are always moderators online anyway, so if you have any questions, they can assist you :)

Hi Bookworm! I am am a divorced woman in my 50s who was just diagnosed this summer. I know how hard it is to call friends when you need to talk, so I hope you will call on us for the support you need. I have found this site to be very accepting and and I know you will make friends here. Welcome.

Aha another book lover that's one thing we have in common:)

I'm pretty sure I have over a hundred books downstairs.....

My house is littered with book cases, 3-4 just in the hall. My mother use to read alot until she lost most of her eyesight a number of years ago. I prefer magazines I have a book self and several racks.

Hi Bookworm! I am am a divorced woman in my 50s who was just diagnosed this summer. I know how hard it is to call friends when you need to talk, so I hope you will call on us for the support you need. I have found this site to be very accepting and and I know you will make friends here. Welcome.

Thanks, MoCoffee! I'm so glad I have ended up here and appreciate the warm welcome!

Aha another book lover that's one thing we have in common:)

I'm pretty sure I have over a hundred books downstairs.....

Nice! I am a sucker for an interesting book blurb. I am down to two bookcases now and mainly stick to the library or my Kindle to save on space these days!

from where I am sitting I can see four stacks of magazines 2 foot high, then I have 5 milk delivery crate only partually full

I'm here to have a bigger community that both I and they can relate to. I'm also here to mutually share imp. stuff with one another. I'm part of many aspie/ sp. needs groups. Some are only online. But each, have there own strengths and weaknesses, and each have there differences. And therefore, I can positively learn and sometimes benefit from them.

What kind of books are you into?

Sorry to be offsite for so long!

I read a fairly wide variety of fiction, including literary fiction, Christian fiction, some science fiction and fantasy, a few gritty detective novels, and the occasional romance novel. In nonfiction, I tend to stick to autism related, self help, and Christian living/devotional books.

How about you?

I'm here to have a bigger community that both I and they can relate to. I'm also here to mutually share imp. stuff with one another. I'm part of many aspie/ sp. needs groups. Some are only online. But each, have there own strengths and weaknesses, and each have there differences. And therefore, I can positively learn and sometimes benefit from them.

I love this - thanks for posting it! I have been really pushing myself to work on face to face friendships, and that has been a great thing for me, but I sometimes miss the bigger community aspect that you describe.

New Threads

Top Bottom