• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Intro

TaylorG

Trying to figure this out while trying to get a referral for testing from my school disability resource center. I get this is a long process but I am willing to wait as long as it takes. Just really discouraged because I’ve been waiting on a referral and the person I was supposed to see for that cancelled on me today.

Heads up my story is going to seem fragmented but it’s just my train of thought. So I managed to make it past undergrad and I now find myself in graduate school. I am guessing that I noticed symptoms more after moving into a new environment. I live with my boyfriend who agrees that I do display symptoms. Saw a counselor who is helping with the referral process after evaluating me and my concerns. She agrees.

My brother has severe cerebral palsy but possesses many autistic traits, has specific stims and interest in cell phones. I on the other hand played a huge role in helping to raise my brother, I can relate to him in some ways, we have always been each other’s best friend. My father has been an alcoholic since my brother’s diagnosis, about 20 years now. Drove my mom crazy. I was the scapegoat for all their problems so I have some trauma (verbal abuse) in my background, and a lot of anxiety problems that I’ve never been to a doctor for but I just deal with it day after day.

I don’t make eye contact with people I don’t trust or don’t know well, I have always felt different and out of place in this world, I am a super visual learner and grad school has put a damper on the speed of my learning, I have felt slower than all my classmates each passing year since elementary school when I was considered advanced for my age. I do a lot of repetitive movements with my fingers mostly, cracking them, pulling them, moving my jaw side to side or biting the inside of my mouth. Idk if these are nervous ticks or stims but I’ve always done them.

Communication is a toughie for me. I cannot express my thoughts verbally without writing down a rehearsed, concise script to make sure I am understood correctly. It sucks. Always been sort of a loner, never kept the same friends or more than 1 or 2. Some fields of study I simply cannot comprehend like math. I cannot comprehend abstract ideas nor verbal instructions, everything has to be written down. Always thought I was just lazy or not self-disciplined enough.

As far as interests...I’m in the mapping industry which is a cool field to be in right now. However, I feel I am limiting myself with constant distraction since I tend to let my thoughts direct me elsewhere, I research one thing and it leads to another, then hours of precious time are lost and I’m absolutely killing my available study time due to this. It’s not that I don’t care I just lack motivation and find other things more interesting. Is there a way to maintain focus? ADD is genetic in my family too. My family has always perceived me to be an outsider as well, which is frustrating. I cannot relate to them.

In general, I feel as though I have no opinion of my own about anything, which is so embarrassing in graduate school class discussions and makes me look hella awkward, lazy and dumb. I just go blank. Maybe it’s because of anxiety or maybe because I’m not comprehending my studies like the other kids seem to be. I am letting my boss down at work because I can’t seem to produce results that are worthwhile, I get too focused on the details and I don’t understand what is expected.

All areas of my life are being affected by whatever is wrong with me. This is such a weird time in my life right now I’m not sure how to stay calm lol. Thanks for reading, not expecting responses just had to put this out there. Maybe it will help someone else.

Welcome Taylor. I hope being here will help you understand yourself better and make you realise you are definitely not alone.:)

Welcome to AF.jpg

in my opinion all of it is autism (sorry aspie thing and panic thing) welcome :):):).
is their an area of employment that would keep you 100% focused on what the employer expected, what interest do you always fall back on =rely on!.
people will definitely read your post, keep talking not talking about whatever really worries you is toxic, i should know thirty years of not talking about panic/anxiety has wrecked me .

Anyone have any suggestions of signs I could be missing or other symptoms I may identify with but I can’t remember at the moment? Thank you all for being so welcoming and responsive.

Anyone have any suggestions of signs I could be missing or other symptoms I may identify with but I can’t remember at the moment? Thank you all for being so welcoming and responsive.

Welcome to AF.

You might also consider any comorbid conditions you might have apart from the possibility of being on the spectrum, such as OCD, social anxiety, depression, etc..

So many conditions that might compound ASD.

Last edited:
the only thing that worked for me is to be what I call robotic!!! for instance if you start to think about an interest stop and go back, try to do exactly what they said, make sure you know exactly what you're expected to do and don't do anymore, they will feed on you being vulnerable.
do they know you are on the autism spectrum ?if so they will have to accommodate you , do you know how they comply with disability law ?for instance do they lie and get rid of people.

the only thing that worked for me is to be what I call robotic!!! for instance if you start to think about an interest stop and go back, try to do exactly what they said, make sure you know exactly what you're expected to do and don't do anymore, they will feed on you being vulnerable.
do they know you are on the autism spectrum ?if so they will have to accommodate you , do you know how they comply with disability law ?for instance do they lie and get rid of people.[/QUOTE

My job is at the university I am attending so I think they will be very understanding. I have not been formally diagnosed, my school says that in order to get accommodations I have to pay for the test which is a 6 month wait at the center they’d refer me to. However, I can be diagnosed by the school psychiatrist I just won’t get accommodations because apparently you have to have actual testing done. It’s so stupid.

My job is at the university I am attending so I think they will be very understanding. I have not been formally diagnosed, my school says that in order to get accommodations I have to pay for the test which is a 6 month wait at the center they’d refer me to. However, I can be diagnosed by the school psychiatrist I just won’t get accommodations because apparently you have to have actual testing done. It’s so stupid.
be careful if they decide you are not convenient you may encounter the bitter clique who have no empathy for autism

educational professions can be very clicky

be careful if they decide you are not convenient you may encounter the bitter clique who have no empathy for autism

correction - educational professions can be prone to forming cliques, as do medical and law.

I can agree with the clicky-ness and I’m scared of it and having to look out for it. To be honest some people notice I’m different and others don’t. It all depends on how close I am to them. For example, friends I have made since I arrived in grad school are more understanding even though they don’t know. I am able to socialize around them more easily but in my mind it’s still all very awkward

Welcome @TaylorG!
I agree with @Judge about the comorbid conditions.

Furthermore, I recommend research. You know yourself and so you are the one who can identify symptoms you have once you know about them.
To find missing signs it is useful to read more about others' experiences, so you can find relatable traits you have missed before. Also, you might find out completely new things you haven't thought of before.

This whole forum is a great place to start. Many people share their various experiences. There is also a resources section, so you can find further information material, such as books.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom