• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Interacting with family members from third world countries who think that ASD is fake

It's complicated, but besides culture, being a third world country means the country doesn't have as many resources to work with. Anything that is mentally related is easier to not fund because it's harder for people in general to see the potential value in doing so, sadly. Also, emotional things are a process and not like physical injuries that need more immediate attention. Physical injuries can be seen and it's easier to understand the pain as opposed to mental where it's more internal inside one's head.

I do not classify Russia as "third world". Maybe "second world" as an in-between first and third world, similar to Argentina and Uruguay, but not third world.

A few years ago I once saw a documentary about mental patients in Indonesia. From what I saw, it did not look like they were treated like in first world countries.

I also read a news article several years ago about how some guy in his early 20s from a rich family in Indonesia kept committing involuntary manslaughter by drink driving in his sports cars and inadvertently hitting pedestrians. He got charged with DWI, but after his parents bribed the judges, his charged got dropped. This happened not once, not twice, but several times. He kept running people over by mistake due to drink driving and speeding, but never spent a day in jail. This is what I would call a definite third world country.

I also read a news article several years ago about how some guy in his early 20s from a rich family in Indonesia kept committing involuntary manslaughter by drink driving in his sports cars and inadvertently hitting pedestrians. He got charged with DWI, but after his parents bribed the judges, his charged got dropped. This happened not once, not twice, but several times. He kept running people over by mistake due to drink driving and speeding, but never spent a day in jail.
I'm surprised that it didn't inspire vigilantism in the relatives of his victims. Do citizens have guns there?

Why does it matter what extended family believes? Do you see them a lot for some reason?

My family doesn't believe in mental illness or any illness. So I don't talk to them about it. The end. :)
So do they think schizophrenics living on the streets are just having fun?

What I really seemed to feel from interacting with relatives is that one's behaviour is based on the person deciding to act that way. In other words, people with ASD (or OCD or anxiety or schizophrenia or whatever) are choosing to act that way, and are fully capable of acting normal by changing their behaviours. It seems like they believe that the motive is to piss people off on purpose, or gain sympathy whilst deliberately acting weird in public.

New Threads

Top Bottom