• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Instant Pot cooking device, anyone?

Warmheart

Something nerdy this way comes
V.I.P Member
These appliances can make meals very quickly. They can be a rice cooker, and a pressure cooker too, with consumer-friendly safety features (No ka--boom.) Some even make Yogurt, also. People are making roasts, rice, chili, chicken, all in a fraction of the time. They come in several brands with various features.

My autism makes paying attention an extremely brief, fractured experience. I tend to "lose the plot" because I often can't connect the dots of what I'm doing. (I forget about what I am doing as I'm doing it, as my attention drifts.) Working around a hot stove for very long is risky. But, I'd sometimes like something which is cooked. Frozen prepared meals are often expensive and full of chemicals. I'm exploring the idea of an instant pot for rice, roasts, etc. It would take me a long time to save up for one.

Have you tried an instant pot yet? If so, what has your experience been like? Thank you in advance for anything you care to share.

In a tenth of a second, every way in which pot could possibly be instant flashed through my mind all at once, and my every sense was titillated. But this sounds even better. My short attention span is exactly why I don't cook. Might have to look this up, maybe buy one and see how it goes. Would definitely help me eat healthier.

This is not the first time I see "Instant pot" written somewhere, and go "huh?" thinking it's some kind of ramen meets weed product, yet here I am again, adding to the chorus (& I don't even smoke).

I had never considered the aspect of the stove and the attention span, but this alone makes me inclined to try it when I can save enough money for one. I love cooking, but I do have issues focusing, and my kitchen isn't really the type where you can hang around until things are cooked (which is what I need to do if I don't want to forget stuff on the stove).

Has anybody tried one yet?

Hahahaha! :D @tree

IMG_0640.JPG

My autism makes paying attention an extremely brief, fractured experience. I tend to "lose the plot" because I often can't connect the dots of what I'm doing. (I forget about what I am doing as I'm doing it, as my attention drifts.) Working around a hot stove for very long is risky. But, I'd sometimes like something which is cooked. Frozen prepared meals are often expensive and full of chemicals. I'm exploring the idea of an instant pot for rice, roasts, etc. It would take me a long time to save up for one.

Have you tried an instant pot yet? If so, what has your experience been like? Thank you in advance for anything you care to share.

I can relate very much to your drifting attention, I experience the same thing.....so many pots destroyed, so many boiled over messes (a few of which shorted out circuits on portable electric cooktops), meals turned to black cement, a few small fires.....the first pot I've owned for a year without rendering it unsafe to cook with, man that was a serious triumph for me :)

I have not used the cookers you speak of, but I do have a toaster oven that has both a "stay on" setting and a timer setting that will automatically turn off the toaster oven when it runs down to zero. I never use the "stay on" setting, only the timer, which has prevented many kitchen screw ups that used to be regular occurances. A lot of regular stove/range ovens have them now, too. If only they had similar auto-shutoff timers for each stovetop burner, I'd be set.

These appliances can make meals very quickly. They can be a rice cooker, and a pressure cooker too, with consumer-friendly safety features (No ka--boom.) Some even make Yogurt, also. People are making roasts, rice, chili, chicken, all in a fraction of the time. They come in several brands with various features.

Someone online told me they absolutely love this instant pot - I would like to try it! We have a slow cooker - but I need to check to see if it contains any lead. It is awesome to have a near fool-proof way of getting a tasty, cooked meal. The slow cooker was soo easy :)

Last edited:
The attention issue is why I hardly cook, too. Almost everything I eat is already made, like bananas or tuna or rice cakes, apples, ....I do cook green beans. But people in my house laugh because on several occasions I have burnt tea. I boil tea so if I am not paying attention, it burns!

Tefal actifry -next door neighbour swears by it as people in the north of England eat a lot of chips(French fries but thicker).The Tefal actifry uses a tiny amount of oil to make French fries ,you can also cook other meals in it , it may be more expensive than The instant pot.

I'm leery of those kind of basically cheap cooking devices shown on late night TV "info-mercials" in the US, especially if they consist of a plastic cooking surface or plastic container. Plastic (PVC or polyvinyl chloride) is a carcinogen made from refining petroleum. Ugh. No thanks for cooking our food.

A crockpot (slow cooker) is great for cooking because you set the timer so it will turn off at the right time. For stove top and oven cooking which don't have built-in timers, I suggest you invest in a kitchen timer and carry it around with you in your pocket until it rings.

I have a Thermomix.
It's a HUGE investment but it has recipes on it and you just do what it says and press next. I've never screwed up a recipe in it (although my NT husband has burnt something in it!)
I don't use it as often as I should (seeing as it's costing me £30/month for the next 3 years!!!)

I've heard of the 'Instant Pot' but I wasn't entirely sure what it was. We have a slow cooker which I love.

Once I open the door on my kitchen cabinet, I have the ability to "instantly" draw my skillet out and place it on my stove's burner in one fluid, movemen. Voila! Well...sort of. o_O

Does that count? :p

there is an instant cooker called a remoska, its made of i presume aluminium and has a large and xl size, its over a 100 pounds in the uk, people love it as it saves using an oven for one person meals .

New Threads

Top Bottom