• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Insomnia

Hi DC1346 , love the cat pic. very funny.:p

Mael is hoisting the white flag on this one...:rolleyes: :airplane: Buckle up, get out the barf bag...episodes of turbulent up drafts, and down drafts, likely ahead.

She likely wanted some sort of praise for her teaching skills...or something...do your best, but you are unlikely to meet her expectations. She may see you as a father figure and is hoping to get that fatherly affirmation she never got...my condolences, even a NT may have trouble with this one.

Mael feels for you! o_O

Hi DC1346 , love the cat pic. very funny.:p

She may see you as a father figure and is hoping to get that fatherly affirmation she never got...my condolences, even a NT may have trouble with this one.

She's a lot older than I am. She may be trying to mother me ... but I don't need a mother.

(sigh)

She's a lot older than I am. She may be trying to mother me ... but I don't need a mother.

(sigh)
It could be both, I learned the hard way with my ex-girlfriend and her crazy step mom people can have all sorts of conflicting emotional compulsions at the same time...logic has nothing to do with it on some people.

I don't have difficulty getting to sleep, but have difficulty maintianing sleep. I either wake up frequently during the night, or wake up early in the morning and can't get back to sleep again. As a result, I feel sleepy during the afternoon, or sometimes feel tired in the morning too and can't concentrate well.

Progster, I saw this post of your from 2015. Did you ever find anything that helped you to remain asleep longer than 1-2 hours? I have the same issue you described.

Progster, I saw this post of your from 2015. Did you ever find anything that helped you to remain asleep longer than 1-2 hours? I have the same issue you described.
A more comfortable matress helped, but still wake up. I don't think that I'm meant to sleep more than about 6 hours.

A more comfortable matress helped, but still wake up. I don't think that I'm meant to sleep more than about 6 hours.

I've tried getting a new mattress, but it didn't help. Also, I am like you with the 6 hrs sleep limit.

I am going to try lifting weights until I am exhausted to see if that helps.

I've tried getting a new mattress, but it didn't help. Also, I am like you with the 6 hrs sleep limit.

I am going to try lifting weights until I am exhausted to see if that helps.
Last night was a bad night for me - as usual took ages to get to sleep, then woke up about 4 times during the night. Had bad dreams too, and woke up with a migraine headache.

I once watched a documentary where people were trying various things to help them sleep. One was taking a bath/shower just before bed, another odd one was eating kiwi fruit, which had some effect, another drinking milk. Practising a kind mindfulness can help to calm the brain if I can maintain it - focus on my breathing, counting my breaths... problem is, my brain quickly loses focus and starts to wander onto other things. It can calm me down and relax me a bit, though.

Last night was a bad night for me - as usual took ages to get to sleep, then woke up about 4 times during the night. Had bad dreams too, and woke up with a migraine headache.

I once watched a documentary where people were trying various things to help them sleep. One was taking a bath/shower just before bed, another odd one was eating kiwi fruit, which had some effect, another drinking milk. Practising a kind mindfulness can help to calm the brain if I can maintain it - focus on my breathing, counting my breaths... problem is, my brain quickly loses focus and starts to wander onto other things. It can calm me down and relax me a bit, though.

You've given me some ideas. I am going to try shutting off the television an hour before bedtime, and read or work crossword puzzles to get sleepy. And then try to get some sleep.

I get these weird dreams also, sometimes solving problems in my sleep. My brain just doesn't shut off ever.

The idea I mentioned did not work, as I am writing this post at 2:24 AM. And a dream is what woke me up. So I have hot to find a way to lessen the intensity of dreams.

May be related or not, but as anyone posting here is using phones and computers the thing about cutting down blue light content after dark is good general advice IMO. That goes for LED lighting as well.

I do the bath thing, mainly because it helps me to sleep and I read somewhere that hydrating your skin in the winter makes for less itchiness. Camomile tea. It still takes two hours or more to fall asleep. Breathing and counting help but like you I lose focus and my mind begins zooming around again.

The idea I mentioned did not work, as I am writing this post at 2:24 AM. And a dream is what woke me up. So I have hot to find a way to lessen the intensity of dreams.
I don't know how to lessen the intensity of dreams, but waking up during REM sleep is never good. It always makes me feel really tired and not able to function well.

If I have a problem that needs to be solved, usually a project that is being difficult, then I just can not shut my brain off. I try to go to sleep, but I just have to many pictures and ideas in my head. After reading the other posts on this thread, it looks like I am not the only one with this problem.

I have had a contentious relationship with sleep. A recent purchase of a weighted blanket gave me the best nights sleep I have had in a long time without the need to exhaust myself beforehand. I actually had dreams that I could recall later, which hasn't happened in about 4 years. I have been prescribed Prazosin for cPTSD and it works. It often though leaves me with a "chemical hangover" like sensation so I only take it when the insomnia gets really bad.

I have had a contentious relationship with sleep. A recent purchase of a weighted blanket gave me the best nights sleep I have had in a long time without the need to exhaust myself beforehand. I actually had dreams that I could recall later, which hasn't happened in about 4 years. I have been prescribed Prazosin for cPTSD and it works. It often though leaves me with a "chemical hangover" like sensation so I only take it when the insomnia gets really bad.

I ordered a weighted blanket today, but am skeptical. However, I am running out of ideas.

If I have a problem that needs to be solved, usually a project that is being difficult, then I just can not shut my brain off. I try to go to sleep, but I just have to many pictures and ideas in my head. After reading the other posts on this thread, it looks like I am not the only one with this problem.

No, you are not alone. If I find something that helps, I will post about it.

I ordered a weighted blanket today, but am skeptical. However, I am running out of ideas.
I whole-heartedly understand. I've tried just about everything minus Ambien. I suffered the "first dose effect" syncope on Prazosin and that was a very HARD fall. I hit my head on the stove, oven handle and the oven drawer handle on the way down. I have fainted many times and that pass out was like someone literally knocked my out cold in my tracks. I woke up beaded in sweat and with several hard goose eggs on my head. It was scary but I have not experienced it again using it intermittently. It reduces the waking dreams pretty effectively in my experience. Others that I have spoke to that have used Prazosin, share the same complaint of the hungover feeling. It does get better with extended use. It may be worth while to try.

For the most part, I still use physical exhaustion by default to force myself to sleep. Is it unhealthy? Maybe, but not as unhealthy as staying up for 4 days straight. I have noticed I do definitely NEED quality sleep to stay regulated. I get overstimulated so easily when fatigued, it leads to meltdown after meltdown. I've learned that hard with my last job. I just can't do any amount of sleep deprivation when tasked with long hours, loud situations, positions that require a lot of "camouflaging and masking" and multitasking with social interaction. I lost 30lbs in 3 months and was near complete burnout. It was entirely too taxing and the lack of quality sleep exacerbated anxiety, depression and meltdowns.

I whole-heartedly understand. I've tried just about everything minus Ambien. I suffered the "first dose effect" syncope on Prazosin and that was a very HARD fall. I hit my head on the stove, oven handle and the oven drawer handle on the way down. I have fainted many times and that pass out was like someone literally knocked my out cold in my tracks. I woke up beaded in sweat and with several hard goose eggs on my head. It was scary but I have not experienced it again using it intermittently. It reduces the waking dreams pretty effectively in my experience. Others that I have spoke to that have used Prazosin, share the same complaint of the hungover feeling. It does get better with extended use. It may be worth while to try.

For the most part, I still use physical exhaustion by default to force myself to sleep. Is it unhealthy? Maybe, but not as unhealthy as staying up for 4 days straight. I have noticed I do definitely NEED quality sleep to stay regulated. I get overstimulated so easily when fatigued, it leads to meltdown after meltdown. I've learned that hard with my last job. I just can't do any amount of sleep deprivation when tasked with long hours, loud situations, positions that require a lot of "camouflaging and masking" and multitasking with social interaction. I lost 30lbs in 3 months and was near complete burnout. It was entirely too taxing and the lack of quality sleep exacerbated anxiety, depression and meltdowns.

Thanks for sharing. I have tried Ambien, and found myself sleepwalking and cooking breakfast in my sleep. It's a wonder I didn't burn my house down. I will try the weighted blanket and ask my doctor about Prazosin.

I hope you have continued success sleeping.

Part of the insomnia problem has been solved. I have sensitivity to light and sound. After waking up twice last night I disconnected all electronic gadgets with lights, turned on a ceiling fan to drown out noises, and shut the doors to my bedroom. By doing this I was able to sleep four hours without waking up. I still woke up at 5:30 AM as the sun was coming up as my bedroom blinds do not block all light.

Then I realized my wife is always complaining about me turning off lights and shutting the blinds in our house. I just thought it was a weird habit, but in reality the light bothers me.

Now I wonder if I will benefit from the weighted blanket at all, or if it is just a waste of money?

Part of the insomnia problem has been solved. I have sensitivity to light and sound. After waking up twice last night I disconnected all electronic gadgets with lights, turned on a ceiling fan to drown out noises, and shut the doors to my bedroom. By doing this I was able to sleep four hours without waking up. I still woke up at 5:30 AM as the sun was coming up as my bedroom blinds do not block all light.

Then I realized my wife is always complaining about me turning off lights and shutting the blinds in our house. I just thought it was a weird habit, but in reality the light bothers me.

Now I wonder if I will benefit from the weighted blanket at all, or if it is just a waste of money?

I am the same. I can't have any type of bright lights other than an ambient low, light, night light and have a fan running all the time. I have issues in sleep environments that do have lights (hotel rooms with little LED button lights for example) and not enough white noise. There are actually multiple fans going for me at home, one in the room and one outside of the door. Marpac's "Dohm" white noise machine was great while I had one. You can adjust the tone and pitch of the white noise to what is comforting.
I would give the weighted blanket a try. It has been helpful for me and I have slept better than ever. It doesn't necessarily negate negative dreams and waking completely but seems to keep me in a more relaxed mode to sleep. I also toss and move around quite a bit and the weight seems to help me stay more still. I am sleeping on my back more, which is needed due to shoulder issues, and I am waking up less in the curled up fetal position.

New Threads

Top Bottom