• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Initiating your special interest

Is it sometimes hard for you to initiate even your special interest? Right now, I'm at a point where I'm so tired, burned out and confused that I struggle to do anything. I know it's weird cause it's supposed to be something that soothes me, but it's just so hard to start doing anything. And I know that if I start doing it, it will probably make me feel better for a while, but it's so hard to start. Do you ever feel like that?
This all started a while ago when my life, in general, started to be too much (it's mostly about university stuff) and kept me away from doing what I really love. This as well created a sense of chaos. Do you sometimes experience that too? Like, when life is so overwhelming, and there's no room for your obsessions?

I have the same exact issue right now, mostly because I am a bit burned out, I don't know will it help when time passes and I get more recovered mentally. I don't know if you have to same but I have this feeling of being kind of stuck in my thoughts so I don't get much done, not stuff that I need to or that I would actually want to do and obsess over.

I have the same exact issue right now, mostly because I am a bit burned out, I don't know will it help when time passes and I get more recovered mentally. I don't know if you have to same but I have this feeling of being kind of stuck in my thoughts so I don't get much done, not stuff that I need to or that I would actually want to do and obsess over.
Exactly.

Being mentally burned out,...you just need to recover. You can't me mentally "stimulated" in this state of mind. Nutrition, supplements, sleep,...and just "getting away" physically and mentally will do wonders. When your mind is refreshed,...then you are ready to jump into another "special interest".

I have the problem even without burnout. It is switching from one process to another that is a mental slugfest every time. The best way to win is a sneak tactic where you start before thinking about starting. This is why I'll often seek ways to empty my head through removing context so little relevant thought can be had. From there I have more chance to simply act for a few moments and then get locked into the desired activity.

I totally burned out, because l really like someone, and my limitations prevented me from being honest and l felt shamed that l couldn't be truthful which just caused me to act emotionally immature towards them. So l have slowed down and deal with the limitations handed me on my desktop. And l removed some spoons from my spoon collection, because l overestimated what l thought l could deal with. I have since apologized, and l explained my frustration. Guess maybe think what is the block you deal with, and can you break it down to manageable things to deal with? Likely you will eventually be done with the university.

Last edited:
Is it sometimes hard for you to initiate even your special interest? Right now, I'm at a point where I'm so tired, burned out and confused that I struggle to do anything. I know it's weird cause it's supposed to be something that soothes me, but it's just so hard to start doing anything. And I know that if I start doing it, it will probably make me feel better for a while, but it's so hard to start. Do you ever feel like that?
This all started a while ago when my life, in general, started to be too much (it's mostly about university stuff) and kept me away from doing what I really love. This as well created a sense of chaos. Do you sometimes experience that too? Like, when life is so overwhelming, and there's no room for your obsessions?
Yes feeling this today . I am sure it’s because all the social interaction last few days . I am in burn out mode .

Not only does that seem normal, but even taking time off (especially if your interest is a very mentally-intense activity) and just letting your mind wander instead has rejuvenating powers. You can't be at max capacity all the time!

This happens to me when I'm going through a burnout stage. There isn't ANYTHING that I can bring myself to do. Trust me though, it will pass. You have to kinda both take it easy whenever you can, but at the same time force yourself out of it.

It happens to everyone

There are seasons of life where there are things you need to take care of... University, raising a family, [fill in the blank]

I have knows lots of people who lay aside their hobby for a period of time, when going to school that is something you need to focus on... Or perhaps pursue your special interest as you have time in those seasons... If it's a true special interest you can return back to it, or you might find something else later on...

New Threads

Top Bottom