• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Information processing issues?

OnyxM

Do you guys have any specific information processing issues? Like visual, auditory, or in general? Not sure how these issues are connected with autism and ADHD or if they're a seperate condition or if they're directly caused by autism and/or adhd but I have noticed some issues I have and it's only in the past few weeks that I've realized they are in this general category. For example when people often tell me ''take this (x object) from the shelf right there'', it will take me several seconds or more to spot the object even if the shelf has only a few things or if it's very close to me, where any other person would instantly spot it. And I have this issue with many other examples too.

I've also noticed that when people speak to me, give me directions or just tell me something, I can't keep up with more than 2 information pieces at a time. Like if they tell me ''prepare this and afterwards prepare that one in this way'', I will have to repeat it many times in my head or write down the instructions (especially the last parts) so I won't forget within seconds.
I know that visual processing has a lot of problems but I don't relate to all of them. I can read and write well enough, even type really fast which is one of my few strong points..but I'm horrible with stuff like spatial skills and reasoning, navigating in new spaces without my brain feeling totally overwhelmed or lost, following simple directions and several auditory problems.

Depends how stressed and/or interested I am. I make mistakes all the time at work because I hate office jobs - they're soul destroying and after 17 years it's only getting worse.

I misread emails, forget to do things, rush my work, make frequent mistakes etc. Hasn't changed since school - if my heart isn't in it, then I tend to have patchy listening and attention capabilities.

Also, if I'm stressed then I will make a lot more mistakes, and cognitive function in general is a bit all over the place.

As you said - 2 or more bits of info at once is bad. This happens a lot at work. You're in the middle of something then the phone rings, or someone asks you to do something. Stop/start all day long. That in of itself is very stressful, and is the complete opposite of a suitable work environment with someone with ADHD and/or Autism.

I also have a tendency to miss simple things entirely. Your example of getting something from a shelf is a good example. I can stare at something for a long time and completely miss the obvious. Happens with problem solving too - often my mind goes off on a complex tangent and the simple, common sense conclusion isn't realised until much later.

Ed

I seem to be slower to process than the average person - not a lot slower, but enough to make a difference when participating in group conversations. Someone will say something, but before I have the chance to react, another person has already started speaking. It means that it's hard for me to participate in conversations.
Or someone will ask a question to which I know the answer, but someone else always get there first. I'm not good with verbal instructions or directions, I really need to have things written down. I'm also slow to pick up on what's going on around people, especially social stuff. For example, my mum says that when I was a small child, she used to have to tell me things separately that the rest of the family automatically knew or pick up on, such as when we were going out, or other things that were expected and understood. And yet, in other areas, I was quite bright and got it straight away, such as reading, scientific concepts, recalling factual information, etc.

There are such conditions as Visual Processing Disorder and Auditory Processing Disorder, conditions separate from ASD/ADHD but which may be comorbid with ASD/ADHD.

I miss stuff all the time. My husband and I socialize with two other couples about once a month or so. They are very friendly, easy going people. Sometimes though I catch little glances passing between the others and I realize, I missed "the point" or understood "the point" in a backward way.

Sometimes I miss obvious connections. For example I will ask my husband "what are you working on?" He might say "The solar system on the boat". Then later I will see him attaching wires to a car battery and think he has moved on to a new project, even though batteries are definately part of the solar system!

If I'm really interested in something, or it is familiar to me, then I'm normally fine. But if it's something I'm not interested in, or don't engage in very often, even if it's fairly simple for most people, I have to really consider what's taking place.

For example... if I ever take a bus or tube, especially a route I haven't been on before, there's a feeling of having to focus really hard on all the basic aspects, including getting on, where to sit, how to be aware of where I am in the journey, where to change, etc. I have to look at timetables many times, to hold enough about what comes immediately next so as not to overload myself with too much of the journey.

It's not a comfortable experience. I'm not at peace. I suppose I don't really want to be doing this, I just know it's necessary. Fortunately I don't do this very often, but there was a time in my life when I did it quite regularly. As long as I'm taking the same route in the same way at the same time, it has become habituated, familiar, and I don't need to think, all is good.

Of course there can be unexpected issues, cancellations, line closures, and all of these can immediately make dealing with the situation far more complicated than it really ought to be. If I can walk somewhere I always choose that instead no matter what. That's the pace I like to move at.

I did used to drive, and had to drive my mum around when she was ill. I rely on the GPS entirely, because it is important that I remain as present as possible. Whatever takes place with other road users I allow. No road rage for me. Just keep it slow, take it easy, and at some point I get there, and as long as the satnav doesn't mess up, it can be an uneventful journey. No music is playing. No conversation, and definitely no phone call. I need to be silent.

Last edited:
Yes, it takes me a while to process before taking action, unfortunately that seems to come across as though I’m slow and people get frustrated.

For example... if I ever take a bus or tube, especially a route I haven't been on before, there's a feeling of having to focus really hard on all the basic aspects, including getting on, where to sit, how to be aware of where I am in the journey, where to change, etc. I have to look at timetables many times, to hold enough about what comes immediately next so as not to overload myself with too much of the journey.

I do this. I take the bus a lot to get to work as I can’t drive, and I’m not walking when it’s too far away. Even if I know the route, I look continuously at the timetable, the bus stop destinations and try to be extremely focused. I do this to the point of overloading myself but considering the last time I took the bus and missed the stop, I want to avoid this anxiety.

Yes. Difficulty with directions and instructions. Especially if they assume I know where unknown item is.

Depending on the subject, I can keep up with spoken instructions, though I will have to ask multiple clarifying questions to be sure I have it right, and will likely miss something and have to go back. But it's not a big enough issue that it affects my functioning in a notable way. (And I may overcompensate for it so successfully that I come out on top anyway lol.)

Things like road directions...forget about it.

I took some online classes and I had to keep rewinding and pausing the videos because they went so fast I couldn't keep up (though my colleagues who took the same classes had the same problem so it wasn't just me).

In general, I prefer having information in writing or having the same information spoken and in writing so that I can refer back to it. Both is ideal. If I have to choose one or the other, writing is preferred. (People who prefer speaking aggravate me because I know I'm not going to remember it later. I do a lot of "figuring out how to work around the ways others insist on doing things".)

Do you guys have any specific information processing issues? Like visual, auditory, or in general? Not sure how these issues are connected with autism and ADHD or if they're a seperate condition or if they're directly caused by autism and/or adhd but I have noticed some issues I have and it's only in the past few weeks that I've realized they are in this general category. For example when people often tell me ''take this (x object) from the shelf right there'', it will take me several seconds or more to spot the object even if the shelf has only a few things or if it's very close to me, where any other person would instantly spot it. And I have this issue with many other examples too.

I've also noticed that when people speak to me, give me directions or just tell me something, I can't keep up with more than 2 information pieces at a time. Like if they tell me ''prepare this and afterwards prepare that one in this way'', I will have to repeat it many times in my head or write down the instructions (especially the last parts) so I won't forget within seconds.
I know that visual processing has a lot of problems but I don't relate to all of them. I can read and write well enough, even type really fast which is one of my few strong points..but I'm horrible with stuff like spatial skills and reasoning, navigating in new spaces without my brain feeling totally overwhelmed or lost, following simple directions and several auditory problems.

I certainly have a mild form of prosopagnosia, a problem I share with my father. When I was a kid I've been referred for testing because of suspected dyscalculia. My father, who had received the diagnosis of dyslexia as a child, strongly opposed it and as a result I never got a diagnosis. Actually, in abilities, we're each other's polar opposite.

Also, wherever I am people remark on my scattiness. I'm not proud of it. I have set various alarm clocks on my phone telling me to get stuff done. But hey, it's working!

The other thing I do, when I'm listening to an audiobook, is I often have to slow it down. I find people speak too quickly and I'm struggling to take that all in. So if I slow it down to about 88%, that seems to make it much easier to listen to.

YES! I struggle with this all the time! Honestly I think it’s just an autism thing because I have other autistic friends who also struggle with this. It becomes a lot worse when I’m stressed out.

Yes. In fact, it was assessed as part of my autism testing and diagnosis. My reaction times to visual stimuli are definitely delayed. One of the tests,...click the computer mouse every time the color black shows on the screen,...the colors were flashing at a rapid pace,...but by the time my brain recognized the color black and I clicked the mouse, it was on another color. I literally could not do the test. FAIL. But other things like playing a fast-paced card game,...NO. Playing Solitaire,...I am constantly back and forth with the cards,...I saw the card, but my brain didn't recognize it until I had flipped to the next card,...then, I am like "Wait,...flip it back" and then make the correct move. Driving,...the traffic light turns from green to yellow,...and there's that moment when you decide "Do I have time to make it before it turns red, or do I slow down in anticipation of stopping on the red?" Terrible,...I just slow down now,...I don't know how many red lights I have blown through,...could have killed myself or someone else too many times,...scary to think of. I am a big strong guy,...thank the Lord I never got into a fist fight,...I swear an 8 year old girl could hit me 3 times before I would flinch,...an angry man,...I'd be on the floor before I realized I got hit. Some people think I am too relaxed at work,..."Slow hands make quick work" I would often say,..."Be slow and deliberate with your dexterity." I now know, it's my adaptation to my visual processing speed.

Auditory processing is generally in the form of sensory issues,...certain frequencies and decibel levels.

Writing skills FAR exceed my verbal skills.

I am not sure if remembering lists of information is part of the processing issues associated with autism per se, as I often find this common with neurotypicals, as well.

I think I relate to most if not all traits described above. Definitely those concerning directions, listening to people and visual processing of even basic info. Boss told me to look under my til today to find something and for some unknown reason it did NOT occur to me to look in all the space but I focussed only in a certain spot despite the object being literally in front of me. It took me several seconds to find it while boss AND the customer were waiting. I don't know how much longer I will last in this job (supermarket) because this amount of anxiety on a daily basis is not really something I can stand. There comes a point in life that you actually start worrying more about your health instead of just ignoring it all the time and putting it behind as if it's not even a priority.

For technical issues or those I intentionally hyperfocus on, like driving a racecourse or negotiating a Class III or higher rapid, I do not miss much or delay processing. In fact I am sometimes faster than average and my reflexes are slower than my processing.

Processing social interactions is another matter entirely. I have explained in other threads my significant blindness to social cues, and while my mind may tuck it away for analysis, I rarely understand what has happened until a significant time later.

I think I relate to most if not all traits described above. Definitely those concerning directions, listening to people and visual processing of even basic info. Boss told me to look under my til today to find something and for some unknown reason it did NOT occur to me to look in all the space but I focussed only in a certain spot despite the object being literally in front of me. It took me several seconds to find it while boss AND the customer were waiting. I don't know how much longer I will last in this job (supermarket) because this amount of anxiety on a daily basis is not really something I can stand. There comes a point in life that you actually start worrying more about your health instead of just ignoring it all the time and putting it behind as if it's not even a priority.

I might be able to help you. When looking for things where there is a lot of visual clutter, stores, desks, bed rooms etc, step about 18 inches to 3 feet away from the place you are looking, and just look at the area like it is a big post card. Your mind will seperate the right object out of the clutter when you don't look too closely.

I might be able to help you. When looking for things where there is a lot of visual clutter, stores, desks, bed rooms etc, step about 18 inches to 3 feet away from the place you are looking, and just look at the area like it is a big post card. Your mind will seperate the right object out of the clutter when you don't look too closely.
I do something similar in finding the rare specimens in a visual field swarming with other, common, fossils.

Thank you Suzette, that does sound very helpful actually. I will try it next time :) Happy holidays!

I seem to be slower to process than the average person - not a lot slower, but enough to make a difference when participating in group conversations. Someone will say something, but before I have the chance to react, another person has already started speaking. It means that it's hard for me to participate in conversations.
Or someone will ask a question to which I know the answer, but someone else always get there first. I'm not good with verbal instructions or directions, I really need to have things written down. I'm also slow to pick up on what's going on around people, especially social stuff. For example, my mum says that when I was a small child, she used to have to tell me things separately that the rest of the family automatically knew or pick up on, such as when we were going out, or other things that were expected and understood. And yet, in other areas, I was quite bright and got it straight away, such as reading, scientific concepts, recalling factual information, etc.

There are such conditions as Visual Processing Disorder and Auditory Processing Disorder, conditions separate from ASD/ADHD but which may be comorbid with ASD/ADHD.
Is this because they talk too fast and when you read you can read in your own pace?
Or is it another issue?
I have always wondered why many of us like to read instructions.
Do many of us need to have the info written down rather than being read even if the words are the same in both cases?

New Threads

Top Bottom