• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Important info for UK Autistic drivers.

My driving record speaks for itself, and I've already passed all the mandatory testing as required by my state. That's fine though, seeing how there are plenty of people out there who have no business being behind the wheel of a vehicle period, and I doubt any of them are autistic.

If the New World Order happens to decide that I'm not fit to drive on the basis of ASD alone, there's going to be all kinds of hell breaking loose, and it's not going to be just me either.

It seems that the NAS have made enquiries and have been told that the updated advice is intentional. The old advice was an error apparently. It poses a serious question in regards to discrimination because almost every notifiable condition is conditional on it's having a demonstrable effect on driving ability, not just notifiable in it's own right.

IMG_20190303_103105.jpg

I don't think they have psychological testing to obtain a driving license in the UK, or at least, not as far as I'm aware.

There is no routine test in the UK (many would like to see one though, myself included) but it is possible to be refused a license - even a provisional one - on psychological grounds, in extreme cases.

If you look on the 2019 page. it says "You must tell DVLA that you have an autistic spectrum disorder(ASD)". I don't see any part that says that you are automatically disqualified from getting a license if you do. It may be that they just want it on record.

I already have a three year licence because my already diagnosed disability can affect my driving ability (I've had no issues driving and do required checks before driving, but society doesn't trust anyway)... I hope that the three year limited licence policy doesn't happen to autistic people too.

I'm not even assessed for autism yet... Should I wait until I'm officially diagnosed before declaring if this is how it is going to be?

It seems that the NAS have made enquiries and have been told that the updated advice is intentional. The old advice was an error apparently. It poses a serious question in regards to discrimination because almost every notifiable condition is conditional on it's having a demonstrable effect on driving ability, not just notifiable in it's own right.

View attachment 52335

There is no routine test in the UK (many would like to see one though, myself included) but it is possible to be refused a license - even a provisional one - on psychological grounds, in extreme cases.

Wow that's really concerning.

This is very ominous in terms of an attack on civil liberties in general. Forms of autism relative to legal requirements of any kind should never, ever be determined on a "one size fits all" basis.

Driving abilities should always be determined purely on a basis of individual ability and no other.

Hopefully there are those in Britain ready to contest such idiocy in the courts if necessary. One thing for sure, this isn't something you want to see fester and manifest itself further with bureaucrats limiting the lives of autistic Britons in general.

Autism may begin with the letter "a", but should never be treated as a "Scarlet Letter" in such a manner.

Last edited:
This is very ominous in terms of an attack on civil liberties in general. Forms of autism relative to legal requirements of any kind should never, ever be determined on a "one size fits all" basis.

Driving abilities should always be determined purely on a basis of individual ability and no other.

Hopefully there are those in Britain ready to contest such idiocy in the courts if necessary. One thing for sure, this isn't something you want to see fester and manifest itself further with bureaucrats limiting the lives of autistic Britons in general.

Autism may begin with the letter "a", but should never be treated as a "Scarlet Letter" in such a manner.

One wonder if the insurance industry will copy their lead in some way.

A get out clause for a pay out if they find out if you havent declared to DVLA.

Should any legal wranglings occur and proof were needed to determine whether or not one failed to disclose an Autism condition,

An assessment would need to be made, surely.
Can you imagine the waiting list then?
As if it isn’t long enough already.

How would a driving assessment differentiate between anxiety disorder, ocd, add and so on ?

What collection of symptoms/behaviours would have autism Stand alone while driving ?

I would think that any consideration of tying one's autism to their driving abilities should be determined at the outset with a drivers test.

That if their driving performance at that place and time does not reflect any such assumptions, then they shouldn't be held against them. Would it be such a surprise to examiners if someone on the spectrum passed such a test without incident?

Otherwise it strikes me as being blatantly discriminatory to assess Neurodiverse drivers any differently than Neurotypical drivers. That everyone should be initially assessed under the same objective conditions.

If one isn’t assessed, they’d have to prove someone had the condition.

Indeed. Though that's for a medical professional to decide. Not a minor bureaucrat whose only job to assess one's performance in operating a motor vehicle.

Equally I can't imagine anyone in Britain who hasn't been formally diagnosed who would claim they are on the spectrum under circumstances that would not be in their best interest to do so.

The "bottom line" in all this may simply be that DVLA bureaucrats should stick to what they know and not attempt to freelance medical studies to make new policy. Or as we say in the states, "Stay in your lane, bro!"

That said, I'm also acutely aware of the potential power of British civil servants. A political, legal and institutional dynamic very different in comparison with the US. Something a Cambridge University professor spent a great deal of time on explaining to my British Politics class in the 70s. A dynamic that apparently has never changed.

Last edited:
Equally I can't imagine anyone in Britain who hasn't been formally diagnosed who would claim they are on the spectrum under circumstances that would not be in their best interest to do so.

I was thinking of my own circumstances.

Referred but not assessed.

Should I be driving and another driver prangs me,

Denies liability. (Lying)

How deep do insurance companies and legal representatives go to determine who was at fault ?

Using medical records to shift blame?

I was thinking of my own circumstances.

Referred but not assessed.

Should I be driving and another driver prangs me,

Denies liability. (Lying)

How deep do insurance companies and legal representatives go to determine who was at fault ?

Using medical records to shift blame?

Sadly it all reflects any number of considerations in not seeking a formal and positive diagnosis of a form of autism. The possibility of it all "backfiring" on you in some way relative to law, and/or entitlements.

It's good to know, and to come to terms with. However there will always be a potential for consequences once it is a matter of medical record.

Though in this instance, I'd think the best outcome for all concerned would be for government to have rethought all of this and not make it actual policy that potentially violates civil rights. Especially if such a consideration was based only on a single medical study, apart from the absurdity of any "one size fits all" policy regarding those on the spectrum of autism.

Last edited:
One wonder if the insurance industry will copy their lead in some way.

A get out clause for a pay out if they find out if you havent declared to DVLA.

That question has been raised by a few people. If the appointed authority decides autism is potentially problematic that gives the insurance industry carte blanche to decline claims and raise premiums for autistic drivers.
There are a number of organisations already pursuing this and lawyers have been involved. I'll update this thread as I hear of developments.

That question has been raised by a few people. If the appointed authority decides autism is potentially problematic that gives the insurance industry carte blanche to decline claims and raise premiums for autistic drivers.
There are a number of organisations already pursuing this and lawyers have been involved. I'll update this thread as I hear of developments.

The proliferation and reach of ignorance in the world still manages to amaze.

Which is amazing in itself!

Just picked up this link. It's hit the national press already. This from today's Guardian:

Autistic people angry at having to disclose diagnosis to DVLA even if driving not affected

Perhaps the chair of the National autistic society should choose her words more carefully.
If she's in support her words may not help : is 'disability' help the argument fail.

Autism is a lifelong disability and if someone has passed their driving test we can’t see how an autism diagnosis would change their ability to drive.

New Threads

Top Bottom