• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Imitation Game + Alan Turing

Graelwyn

Anyone else see this film and notice that Turing is portrayed as quite obviously being on the autistic spectrum, starting with separating his food into colours on his plate at school? I have done some further reading around the net, and it certainly seems he may well have been.

Obviously you cannot ever know for sure, but I just found it quite interesting how strongly they emphasized his awkwardness, his lack of following social rules, not understanding jokes, one track mindedness etc in the film.

I haven't seen that movie yet. It just came out in the U.S. a couple of days ago. I'm very much looking forward to it though. I'm not surprised they emphasized Turing's unusual behaviors. He would have almost had to be on the spectrum, and his IQ must've been off the charts.

I haven't seen that movie yet. It just came out in the U.S. a couple of days ago. I'm very much looking forward to it though. I'm not surprised they emphasized Turing's unusual behaviors. He would have almost had to be on the spectrum, and his IQ must've been off the charts.

Yes, amazingly intelligent man, and so sad how his life ended.
An aspie friend who saw it the same time as me said exactly the same as me when we met afterwards regarding the autistic traits. I think the film took some artistic license in adding in a Russian spy cover-up story (that seems to have caused some annoyance among some) but I found it very well acted and engaging regardless. And obviously, the fact he was clearly(to me) on the spectrum added to it for me, I suppose, because I could relate.

I thought exactly the same thing while watching the film. I really enjoyed the film and thought it was extremely well made. Alan Turing and cryptography are one of my special interests so I enjoyed it even more. I also noticed all of the typical tendencies associated with Aspergers.

However, they did leave out some of the things he is recorded as doing, such as chaining his mug to the radiator in Hut 8 so that nobody else would use it or running with his gas mask on because he was afraid of getting hay fever. I suppose that's okay because you can't add everything but I would hate to think that those behaviours were slightly too 'quirky' to be added into the film.

I also found some parts relatable too. I don't claim to be the next Alan Turing but it was nice to see AS portrayed with honesty and respect. If you get the chance you should definitely go and see it.

Yes, amazingly intelligent man, and so sad how his life ended.

Here's a 'what-if' scenario for us all to contemplate.

Alan Turing, according to Winston Churchill, made the single biggest contribution to Allied victory in the war against Nazi Germany. However, if the authorities had been aware of his sexuality, and had chosen to act according to the rules, Turing would not have been allowed to work at Bletchley Park. What would have been the effect upon WWII and upon our modern, computer-dominated world?

New Threads

Top Bottom