• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Im so upset

S0093679

Im so upset. Im doing a course at uni and Im in level 6 (dissertation year). I sruggle so much with getting work done and going into lectures just wears me out.

I get special allowances to help me work like having access to an empty lecture room at uni so I dont have to deal with the other people. Ive been working so hard on my presentation for the last few days and spent the whole day today in uni. Im exhausted.

I missed the deadline by 1 minute. Its soul destroying to try so hard just to do what my peer group do and then I miss my deadline anyway. I just want to give it all up. But Ive never finished anything before and if I give up I'll be so ashamed.

Just sat here crying.

*hugs*

Is there a counselor at your university? You sound like you could use someone to talk to.

You missed it by one minute? That really sucks! I hope that, in light of how close you were & your other challenges that they can make an exception. The ombuds office at your uni might be able to assist you with this in conjunction with the Access Centre for Students With Disabilities. Please keep us posted on how it goes & please do not give up.

I can get mitigating circumstances, but I already did that. This deadline was an extended one. I don't know if they would extend it again just because I missed it through poor time judgment.

I can get mitigating circumstances, but I already did that. This deadline was an extended one. I don't know if they would extend it again just because I missed it through poor time judgment.
But one minute is so close...if they have any sense or judgement, they will help.

One minute? Was it an online submission? I'm absolutely sure they will understand if you talk to them. Nobody is that cruel. But, it sounds like you are under a lot of pressure, which can make things seem very black and white. I hope you get to talk to them soon and get it sorted out. You are working harder than the other students by far, and that is a great credit to your determation. That alone makes you a more worthy student. I wonder how many other students would have the grit to put in the extra effort that you do. I bet not many!

Sending big hugs your way.

I believe you can still pass if you hand in a little late, & I think even the tutors supervising the hand-in are supposed to be leniant if it's only 1-2 minutes late. A guy on my old uni course handed in half an hour late because he got the hand-in time confused and although he didn't get the ~64 grade he deserved, his mark was capped at 40 (the pass mark) which is apparently standard for anyone who hands in late, and so he still passed. So don't despair - I know that situation must be terrifying right now but I'm sure you will still be given the opportunity to pass if your tutors are any kind of help.

Once internet connection started playing with me, just when I was trying to submit the presentation. When it finally started working again, I've already missed the deadline. I just e-mailed the paper to my professor and explained what happened. They accepted it.

Once internet connection started playing with me, just when I was trying to submit the presentation. When it finally started working again, I've already missed the deadline. I just e-mailed the paper to my professor and explained what happened. They accepted it.

I am so glad this worked out for you! Do you have any crisis numbers to call if you need someone to talk to in the middle of the night? I have used this kind of help when my anxiety was so high I felt I couldn't handle it any more, and they really were good about talking me down.

I cried for a couple of hours and went to bed. I submitted the next afternoon, after I had calmed down a bit. I will probably get a penalty of 5%, I think it is 5% per day overdue. My grades are usually very high so it won't matter, as long as it passes. I just felt so disappointed and ashamed for not doing what my peers do, and just getting things in when they are supposed to be in.

Thank you all for your kind words :) I didn't call a counsellor, but I do have a psychology therapy session this afternoon, which Im equally anxious about!

New Threads

Top Bottom