• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm scared to start collecting things again but I really want to

The incidents you relate both happened as a small child. You're an adult now.

You may want to extrapolate on that.

Surely you're not implying that getting taller and older
automatically confers ability to resolve feelings about
past experiences.

What were you trying to say?

I have a collection of 192 action dolls (Classic Collection-era GI Joes & articulated Barbies) that I customized into lay figures (with an emphasis on varied faces).
full

Here is another drawing that was modeled by one of my couples.
Danger In The Desert!

I collect music boxes and they are not very hard to find. All you really need to do is look throughout thrift shop and antique stores. Thrift store typically have them at reasonable prices while antique stores and a few privately owned thrift shops will have them a bit higher but not to the point you’ll be needing to empty out a bank account to pay for one. I just look at the condition of the music box, listen to hear what song it plays, and if it seems to speak to me. I generally ignore extremely discolored or non working music boxes or ones that have visible cracks that could affect the entire figure or break off unless it is something that I recognize as being rare in some way. They do look nice on a shelf and there are a wide variety of themes so you can decide which ones you like the best.

You may want to extrapolate on that.

Surely you're not implying that getting taller and older
automatically confers ability to resolve feelings about
past experiences.

What were you trying to say?

Oh, no, I meant that it would be easier as an adult to keep possessions safe, presumably having more control over the environment.

Oh, no, I meant that it would be easier as an adult to keep possessions safe, presumably having more control over the environment.
It’s true. If my dad is coming over to my apartment, I can hide all of my dolls and playsets in the closet because that is the last place he’ll ever look in my place. He has no reason to look into my closet anyway.

I want to start collecting things again but I'm really scared to. I used to collect things but every time that I did, those things would end up being taken from me. A few examples: when I was 6 I started collecting Porcelain dolls. They meant everything to me, but then two family members got into a drunken argument and one of them smashed them all. When I was 9 I started collecting ornaments of swans but most of them were broken when I moved house.

I would collect teddy bears and barbie dolls but because they just sat on a shelf and I didn't "play" with them they were thrown away by my parents. Since these incidences I've mostly avoided collecting specific things. I am a bit of a hoarder of random objects though.

I've been wanting to collect again for years but I'm so scared that something bad will happen and I'll be so upset all over again. Can anybody else relate to this? Did you get over it?
I'm 53 and having to deal with collections left behind by aging relatives. It's horrible. It has caused me to reconsider my own possessions. I need to pare down what I own so I don't put my daughter in the same situation I'm currently caught in. I suggest collecting for quality, not quantity. Those you leave behind will thank you.

20220818_115320.jpg
20220818_115352.jpg

These are my sad house plants. Many were free, inherited, or rescued from grocery store clearance, (we're talking less than $7.00 for any plant).

Growing up, I didn't think I could keep a plant alive. Found out different after I got my first plant during college. The Christmas Cactus and one of the pothos are both at least couple decades older than I am.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom