• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I’m not O.K

AspieChris

V.I.P Member
I’m not O.K.

I’m scared. I’m confused. I’m tired. I’m lonely. It’s been an eternity. Nobody understands. It’s a miracle that I have made it through so many days that have combined into being so many years.

I just want it to stop being so hard.

Anyone else?

When has life been easy? I used to think, if only x then life would be good, until realized there were always more x's. So, I got content with a woman who is my soulmate, occasional adventures, and friends who still value me after bailing me out of jail. And then there are those here who I enjoy reading and getting glimpses of their interesting lives (I wish I could meet them). What's not to like?

Last edited:
I’m good at faking smiles but honestly I’m not ok either. I often wonder how easier my life would have been if I didn’t have autism. I don’t think neurotypicals realize just how difficult it is. I feel alone.

I’m not O.K.

I’m scared. I’m confused. I’m tired. I’m lonely. It’s been an eternity. Nobody understands. It’s a miracle that I have made it through so many days that have combined into being so many years.

Anyone else?
I am sorry. You are trying so hard. You should be proud of yourself.
Me too.
I am not ok. I love being a kind person, I love who I am. But I have suffered long and hard and do not want my dreams taken
If anyone said to me, do u love being kind, I would say yes when I exist in that state I feel at peace with others.
I just get burnt out sometimes. I love being an empath for an autistic but I am tired and burnt out and need someone to be an empath to me.
You know I read somewhere about empaths that they need to have boundaries and take care of themselves too and be given back to.
I guess because their soul is very caring, they need caring back because their hearts are so tender.
I try my hardest and it is true as well empaths love being in nature so I love having wind and being with animals and going out which I have never done.
I do not know many empaths and it is hard to be both autistic and empath.because of burn out and experiencing it differently
I am sick of being used and abused and want to be treated well, I have suffered a long time for nothing
This is the worst I have ever experienced and I so badly want healing and better and nothing to ruin it or my faith

Honestly, I think I’m just so burned out on faking everything. It takes all of my energy and then demands even more.
It’s a soul crushing endeavor to fake it through the world. I’m sorry you are feeling this way at this point. I relate, I understand.

If other people’s experiences mean anything to you, there is hope for change. I once felt exactly like you described and it forced big changes. Now things are at least very very real, and there is no fakeness anymore.

Be well, friend.

I am sorry. You are trying so hard. You should be proud of yourself.
Me too.
I am not ok. I love being a kind person, I love who I am. But I have suffered long and hard and do not want my dreams taken
If anyone said to me, do u love being kind, I would say yes when I exist in that state I feel at peace with others.
I just get burnt out sometimes. I love being an empath for an autistic but I am tired and burnt out and need someone to be an empath to me.
You know I read somewhere about empaths that they need to have boundaries and take care of themselves too and be given back to.
I guess because their soul is very caring, they need caring back because their hearts are so tender.
I try my hardest and it is true as well empaths love being in nature so I love having wind and being with animals and going out which I have never done.
I do not know many empaths and it is hard to be both autistic and empath.because of burn out and experiencing it differently
I am sick of being used and abused and want to be treated well, I have suffered a long time for nothing
This is the worst I have ever experienced and I so badly want healing and better and nothing to ruin it or my faith
Give yourself a big hug, @lovely_darlingprettybaby . Your impulse is to be kind is wonderful. So many of us, experiencing loneliness, being disregarded, taken advantage of, and are isolated from life, turn to anger. I am happy to hear that you love yourself and hope that you will be able to get out and enjoy nature and our world. Take care of yourself. You deserve to be treated well. Please never internalize negative thoughts about yourself. I went down that path and harmed myself.

I just don't get it.

I have a hard enough time taking care of myself with no job and get stressed over how difficult life is.

I don't know how the majority of humans work 30+ hours a week, take care of themselves and still have time to enjoy themselves while also dealing with stress, money and bills.

People just accept this difficulties of life as normal. I don't want it to be normal.

Hey ya, Chris.

Not knowing any other details of your life, it’s hard for me to say anything that may be helpful to you.

I can tell you that I believe that in life generally and in life with autistic personality traits there is space to find courage and contentment.

I was right where you are today. I felt the same. I have been able to overcome the difficulties in my mind and center my thoughts on my worth and peace mostly.

The difficulties are still there and I find myself able to relate completely with how you have shared.

Do you have access to someone who you can talk to about these difficulties?

This would either be someone who would listen and that you would trust. This would be a councilor. This would be someone you can have a more detailed and in-depth conversation with. This would be someone that would share empathy, understanding, and compassion. This would be a person who could objectively chat thru and provide alternate coping methods.

Talking with a councilor saved my life. My difficulties were all I could see and thru counseling I was able to talk and consider an alternate understanding of my life that I just could not see at my most difficult times.

Most things in life are not easy. What you feel is real.

Peace, courage, and hope to you.

Last edited:
Hey ya, Chris.

Not knowing any other details of your life, it’s hard for me to say anything that may be helpful to you.

I can tell you that I believe that in life generally and in life with autistic personality traits there is space to find courage and contentment.

I was right where you are today. I felt the same. I have been able to overcome the difficulties in my mind and center my thoughts on my worth and peace mostly.

The difficulties are still there and I find myself able to relate completely with how you have shared.

Do you have access to someone who you can talk to about these difficulties?

This would either be someone who would listen and that you would trust. This would be a councilor. This would be someone you can have a more detailed and in-depth conversation with. This would be someone that would share empathy, understanding, and compassion. This would be a person who could objectively chat thru and provide alternate coping methods.

Talking with a councilor saved my life. My difficulties were all I could see and thru counseling I was able to talk and consider an alternate understanding of my life that I just could not see at my most difficult times.

Most things in life are not easy. What you feel is real.

Peace, courage, and hope to you.
My difficulties are rooted in my responsibilities.

My job for example: 20 years ago I just showed up on time, my boss gave me a job to do, and at the end of the day I turned a simple timesheet on paper. That was my day.

Today, I carry 2 cellphones, answer e-mails, deal with city inspectors and permits, have GPS on my work van, etc. All of that is new and I’m still expected to do the same amount of work or more….. even though my job title hasn’t changed.

Gas is 6 times what it was back then. Rent is about 5 times. A gallon of milk is 3-4 times. And I’m paying $500 per month for health insurance, when it was free 20 years ago. But my paycheck has only risen about %30 in that time, and I earn too much $$ for government assistance.

I could go on and on…..

Very little has changed in my life in the last 20 years, except that everything has changed in ways that I have no control over. I feel like I’m just a mouse in a trap who’s just desperately trying to ‘not die’.

I’m in the process of finding a therapist. But unless a little conversation can stop the rain from falling, I’m just screwed.

I’m not asking for sympathy (although it’s nice to hear that I’m not alone). I just wanted to vent and make a thread for others to cry their eyes out as well.

I do appreciate the kind words from everyone :)

I have a hard enough time taking care of myself with no job and get stressed over how difficult life is
It’s because they aren’t thinking about anything but whatever is in front of them at the moment. I’m guessing you’re like me: I’m thinking about absolutely everything in my life, all of the time.

When most NT’s get a winning lottery ticket for $500, they usually think of nothing but all of the cool toys that they’ll spend it on. If I won the same $500, I immediately start stressing about what bill I’ll pay. And that sends me into the rabbit hole of thinking about how broke I am. Which leads me into wishing I had gone to college and had a better job.

Some people’s default is to ignore their problems. Mine is too think about them perpetually. I wish I could turn it off and just be ignorant and happy, but I’d also prefer not to be ignorant.

When I was in school, not being cool would get you beat up. As an adult - there could still be a fight. A lot of guys don't have the mental horsepower to imagine consequences, like going to jail. Even if they've been to jail.

It’s because they aren’t thinking about anything but whatever is in front of them at the moment. I’m guessing you’re like me: I’m thinking about absolutely everything in my life, all of the time.

When most NT’s get a winning lottery ticket for $500, they usually think of nothing but all of the cool toys that they’ll spend it on. If I won the same $500, I immediately start stressing about what bill I’ll pay. And that sends me into the rabbit hole of thinking about how broke I am. Which leads me into wishing I had gone to college and had a better job.

Some people’s default is to ignore their problems. Mine is too think about them perpetually. I wish I could turn it off and just be ignorant and happy, but I’d also prefer not to be ignorant.
Mate, I sympathise fully. But as it turns out going to college and uni didn't help much. I've got, by all accounts, a pretty senior role. Problem is we moved country, then a bunch of natural disasters happened which made the migration twice as costly, and the central bank here decided to dump money into the economy and increase house prices.

Net result, we're priced out of the housing market while people who just happened to live here 5 years earlier are now multi-millionaires. We're renting, and get kicked out of our house once a year so the landlord can rake in profits and that will be it, for the rest of our lives. No home, no permanence, no memories for the kids of growing up in the same loved house. Nomads.

It costs so much to rent that I can't see us saving anything substantial, so we're going to be terribly poor when I can no longer work. My only realistic plan for when we retire is to use up the meagre savings we have within a few months, have a lovely romantic dinner with the woman I love, then find somewhere scenic to jump off. For those who happened to buy a house a few years back, it's the life of reilly. But for us, we will never be in a position where we're not in danger of a miserable old age with no support and no money to pay for health care. I did everything right. I didn't gamble, I worked hard, I got my education. And now I'm beholden to people who blindly stumbled into being a millionaire!

It keeps me awake at night. I refuse to even talk about it or I'll not be able to sleep. My wife mentioned pensions the other evening, and that was it, zero sleep that night. I just try to focus on tomorrow, on providing for my family, paying the bills. Like you I'm beyond tired, because, like you, I know there is no off-ramp.

ETA: Also worth mentioning, I don't handle the next day after alcohol as well as you do. So although it makes the evening before go pleasantly and I can fall asleep feeling things are cool, I'll wake at 5am with my heart racing and that feeling of dread. So I've decided to give it my absolute everything for one last try to get out of this damn hole this country and society has created for us. If it fails, I'm going to the doc for some strong anti-depressants and will mentally turn the lights off.

Last edited:
I’m not asking for sympathy (although it’s nice to hear that I’m not alone). I just wanted to vent and make a thread for others to cry their eyes out as well.

I do appreciate the kind words from everyone :)

I feel the same as you. I read your posts and this is my life. The lying is the hardest part for me. I cannot even remember which person I am pretending to be with different people. I have to keep track. The lying breaks my heart, it takes all my hope away. Lying about who I am makes me think I am bad person who has to hide who I really am.

If I keep lying, the people around me feel better. They do not get upset like they do if I am myself. If I am honest and do not force myself to talk, if I pretend I am comfortable and not actually flying in panic inside, if I ask questions because I tell them I do not understand, they get upset. They always get mad. I see it and give up and lie.

I tried to find counselors who knew about autism but not one I spoke to said they knew about autism. None of them in all the agencies or systems I contacted.

Regular people cannot understand me and I cannot understand them. I try to explain I am literal, do not look for subtext when I am speaking. They do not listen. They also talk to me with subtext and expressions and generalizations even when I tell them over and over I am literal. I cannot understand. If they say the number seven or nine or whatever, that is what I will go by. They say they meant around that. I do not know "around that number" I know exact words as told to me.

They will not listen, they get mad. I go silent or I lie.

An autistic person understands me and I them. They can say "Go away now." And I will leave them alone. No subtext, no me wondering what they meant or why. My feelings are not hurt. They want or need me to go away. I do. I know they have their reasons, which are not my business.

Existing in their world I have to lie every day. But when I am me, really me, my depression gets better and I feel happy and honest and my stress goes down and I start thinking about the future instead of only the moment I am in.

For a while in-person autism support groups really helped me. Now I just talk online to other autistic people and live all alone all the time.

This is exactly how I put it to my shrink last year. It's been very slow but I feel like I'm making progress. I have a little bit more hope now.

I’m in the process of finding a therapist. But unless a little conversation can stop the rain from falling, I’m just screwed.

It can't stop the rain falling. But it might help you find ways to stay dry or be less stressed out about being wet.

I’m guessing you’re like me: I’m thinking about absolutely everything in my life, all of the time.

So much of what you're saying sounds like my life. I've been receiving therapy for about a year. It has helped - a little. But even that little has given me a bit more hope - something I didn't have before.

"Faking it" is a big topic in itself. After a year of therapy and a lot of self-reflection, and a lot of effort trying things out, I have come to realise, as others have mentioned, that not faking it is quite liberating. The difficulty I have, which I suspect you do to, is that I have responsibilities and I can't just stop faking it - because if I did then it would affect my income. So I felt trapped in that regard.

What I'm doing at the moment is focusing on making changes with my financial situation so that I can be myself more often, not have to put on a fake smile or worry so much about my autism showing through. A year ago I'd have said that would be impossible. Maybe it is - maybe I'm kidding myself. But I'm trying. It's slow work, but it's looking promising.

Perhaps if you find someone you can talk this through with in detail, and you start experimenting with changes, you'll start to be a little more hopeful.

Last edited:
I have a hypothesis. I'm a guy, so I'm talking from my own experience and not excluding women, just not pretending to speak for them. I have a feeling that there's a massive swathe of blokes out there, undiagnosed, depressed and stressed who are being told by the current zeitgeist that they are in the wrong, that they need to change to be "emotionally available". I would hazard that if we could say "you know what, I understand why you have your 'shed', your trainset, your motors to fiddle with. Why you don't want to be round at family events or chat with my friends. Why you can't explain how you feel. Why you problem solve when I just want to vent. It's because you're on the spectrum, and that's OK." we'd see a drop in male sadness, suicides even, and paradoxically an improvement in all the above. Because right now these guys are isolated.

ETA: I think a lot of men (and perhaps women???) who are undiagnosed play to their strengths of being the hard working problem solver, and get isolated there. Life's hard at the moment for everyone, but if you're the provider, who takes that role literally and doesn't like uncertainty. Someone who has a condition which makes you prone to stress, and who is basically convinced their inability to communicate in the world is a fault. Well, that's incredibly negative.

For all my frustrated, problem-solving brothers and sisters out there, for you

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom