1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Featured I'm an aspie; Please help me help my aspie friend!

Discussion in 'Friends, Family & Social Skills' started by TheGuyWithTheTacoma, Nov 2, 2019.

1. TheGuyWithTheTacoma

TheGuyWithTheTacoma Well-Known Member

He really is a nice guy, and he doesn't care if I share stuff about him as long I don't share his name. I will always accept him no matter what, but I can't bring him many places because other people aren't as accepting as me and my other friends. All I ever do with him anymore is go to see movies, and invite him to various parties and functions.

2. TheGuyWithTheTacoma

It doesn't upset me that he loves his cat; I have an almost childlike affection for dogs. It annoys me that he took it personally when I stopped coming over to his house, after he knew full well I had an allergy to cats.

On other note, he continually says "My cat is gonna be a lion when she grows up!" That really gets on my nerves.

3. TheGuyWithTheTacoma

I am very rigid in my behaviors as well, being autistic, but I don't act anything like him.

Also, I am not sharing my friend's name and there is a lot of stuff I am not sharing about my friend because it is nobody's business.

4. paloftoon

paloftoon Well-Known Member

This friend you're having trouble with, does he have a job?

5. TheGuyWithTheTacoma

Yes and no...

Right now he’s in school, and he volunteers at the local public school special ed department. He works at the culinary problem at the same county community college where takes classes, but only during the summer; Mom and dad still largely support him 100%.

6. paloftoon

paloftoon Well-Known Member

What might help your friend is to continue progressing toward getting enough credentials to get a (paid) job. Also, it looks like you guys are near-ish the Philly area. There are some social groups and even a center. If he can afford therapy (through his parents) and is willing, this may be a good route to consider as well.

You're welcome to PM me to meet in-person if you would like.