• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

(Ignorning) Doctor's Orders

Riley

Upon going back to check on my recovery process after dental surgery, I discovered I was not supposed to be drinking carbonated liquids such as soda. However...The twist is nothing seemed affected. I was healing just fine. But after hearing this news, I became wary of drinking the sugary sweets.

Is it alright to go against doc's order ONLY if you haven't been harmed by doing so? Have any of YOU done it?

Thing is with that is that usually by the time you've noticed anything is wrong, it's already too late.

In truth, sugar is EVIL. That is, refined ones. Sugar turns to acid and erodes teeth.

My husband is a test testonmy to this. Despite brushing his teeth etc, has not done him any favours, because loving sweets. He has stopped now, but teeth naturally need help in healing.

Stay weary of sugar laden drinks and you will find that dentist visits will just be check ups and not dental work.

We talk of remind sugar here, which all fizzy drinks have.

I've had teeth out and smoked the same day and ended up with dry socket... Never felt pain like it.

Drinking soda isn't going to kill you, just don't over do it and make sure you keep your teeth clean.

My children don't drink soda at all and their sweet foods are limited and they clean their teeth twice a day. But both have had cavities, one had to had a tooth extracted - and that was down to damage done by fruit. So, in short... even to good food can damage teeth so all in moderation.

Technically you should always listen to what you've been told by a doctor. Ultimately, the decision is yours and I can't tell you you're wrong because I discharged myself from hospital a couple of weeks ago against medical advice. Like @ksheehan88 said, maybe just drink in moderation and brush your teeth well.

You're not supposed to drink and drive either, but just because you haven't crashed your car that time you got behind the wheel drunk, doesn't mean the rule is bogus.
Doctors base their advice on statistics and chances. They tell you not to do x because it increases the chance of y happening. If you want to ignore the advice, just wonder how badly you want x and how bad y happening is for you.
I smoked for four years while on birth control pills, increasing my risks of deep vein thrombosis. I was fully aware of the risk but chose to ignore it because I wanted to smoke.

New Threads

Top Bottom