• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If you could pick a new skill (or obsession)...

kasmanaft08

V.I.P Member
If you could chose a new skill or thing to be obsessed with/expert in, what would you pick?

I feel like I would really like to be good at making things, and if I had the time or money (or good start) it has a potential to turn into an obsession. It sounds kind of weird, but I want to do really traditional household-y things, like make clothes, bake (macarons and psychadelic cakes, for some reason), and things like that.

This thought occured to me when I realized how simple and common bread is, but regardless of how often I eat it, I have no idea how to make it for myself.

It would be learning Hokkien/Cantonese/Shanghainese dialects well. Taiwan , HK and Shanghai-area businesspeople love fellow yellow-skinned people who speak in their tounges. I speak Mandarin though.

If you could chose a new skill or thing to be obsessed with/expert in, what would you pick?

I feel like I would really like to be good at making things, and if I had the time or money (or good start) it has a potential to turn into an obsession. It sounds kind of weird, but I want to do really traditional household-y things, like make clothes, bake (macarons and psychadelic cakes, for some reason), and things like that.

This thought occured to me when I realized how simple and common bread is, but regardless of how often I eat it, I have no idea how to make it for myself.

"macarons and psychadelic cakes" View attachment 1111 View attachment 1112 Very nice choice.

Bread making is a VERY good choice.

I would like to learn to blow glass and also make stained-glass windows.

View attachment 1113

Seeing how much of my life revolves around computers, I would love to be a total computer geek and be able to really work inside a computer's internals. I would love to be able to do computer programming and learn some computer languages. Unfortunately, the only geekdom I can claim is HTML and CSS, which are fairly simple. I also used to know a smattering of Javascript, but since it's been so long, I've forgotten it all.

If I could instantly develop any new skill, one of my first choices would probably be the ability to draw or paint. Ever since becoming interested in comics (mainly newspaper comic strips at that age, like Calvin & Hobbes and a couple of others) and animated cartoons on tv at a really young age, I wanted to be able to make drawings like that, but I never felt like I could draw anything that was any good. I took a few art/drawing classes as a teenager, but that never improved my ability much. Not being able to do draw much of anything other than primitive little doodles has always been one of my lifelong frustrations. I think one of my problems there is that a lot of the detail work of doing a drawing or painting seems a little tedious to me.

The current person I'd love to be able to draw like is longtime MAD Magazine artist Sergio Aragones, but I'm not holding my breath to one day magically wake up with that ability.

View attachment 1118

I once read about an animator named Robert McKimson, a director of several Looney Tunes cartoons, who once had a concussion in a car accident that did something to his brain that somehow allowed him to draw faster and more accurately than before. I kind of wish something like that would happen to me (hopefully without any brain damage or anything else bad from a concussion).

if i had to pick 1 thing it would probably be writing. i've had phases where i'd pick it up again and write every day for a few days, but in the eend, it comes down to me not being dedicated/obsessed enough to finish some of my books.

If I could instantly develop any new skill, one of my first choices would probably be the ability to draw or paint. Ever since becoming interested in comics (mainly newspaper comic strips at that age, like Calvin & Hobbes and a couple of others) and animated cartoons on tv at a really young age, I wanted to be able to make drawings like that, but I never felt like I could draw anything that was any good. I took a few art/drawing classes as a teenager, but that never improved my ability much. Not being able to do draw much of anything other than primitive little doodles has always been one of my lifelong frustrations. I think one of my problems there is that a lot of the detail work of doing a drawing or painting seems a little tedious to me.

The current person I'd love to be able to draw like is longtime MAD Magazine artist Sergio Aragones, but I'm not holding my breath to one day magically wake up with that ability.

View attachment 1118

I once read about an animator named Robert McKimson, a director of several Looney Tunes cartoons, who once had a concussion in a car accident that did something to his brain that somehow allowed him to draw faster and more accurately than before. I kind of wish something like that would happen to me (hopefully without any brain damage or anything else bad from a concussion).

I can doodle things decently, and draw moderately well when I have the focus, but I do agree that patience is a huge factor in drawing well that is overlooked. I think that's my problem with painting, I don't like spending weeks or months on a single piece of work...that seems like it would be dull and frustrating after a while. I think I have potential for it, but not the passion.

As for drawing, I wish I could do comic book/graphic novel style drawings easily.

I do however find things like sculpting and buildings things horribly difficult, but I think that's a lot to do with my clumsiness. :S

If I could live for 400 years without getting old, after I was finished with my current interests (achieved something meaningful in that area) I would go to medical school and become a doctor (1st neurology, then maybe I would get psychiatry degree as well) :) after I worked for several years in the field I would join the police and become 1st a regular cop and then a detective :D yeah, that should be lots of fun!

I can doodle things decently, and draw moderately well when I have the focus, but I do agree that patience is a huge factor in drawing well that is overlooked. I think that's my problem with painting, I don't like spending weeks or months on a single piece of work...that seems like it would be dull and frustrating after a while. I think I have potential for it, but not the passion.

As for drawing, I wish I could do comic book/graphic novel style drawings easily.

I do however find things like sculpting and buildings things horribly difficult, but I think that's a lot to do with my clumsiness. :S

Art stems from the heart or, rather, the mind/spirit. It simply needs to be prodded a bit to pour forth. Technique is non-essential in true art, that is, the essence of what you are will filter into the medium, drawing, painting, sculpture and, in that case, no matter the results is it will be pure. Pure you.

Note: Van Gogh attended an art school in Paris and was sickened by the experience. He returned to Holland and created masterpieces, self-taught, no rules needed.

View attachment 1119

Last edited:
Art stems from the heart or, rather, the mind/spirit. It simply needs to be prodded a bit to pour forth. Technique is non-essential in true art, that is, the essence of what you are will filter into the medium, drawing, painting, sculpture and, in that case, no matter the results is it will be pure. Pure you.

View attachment 1119

I think that's the different between a good drawer/painter and an artist. Technique is nice and is certainly something I appreciate, but perfect technique is an irrelevant factor in what makes good art. I think it's about the message and feel of it, and that dedication something like that requires.

I'd like to have better skill, but that's not what's separating me from being an artist (not that it was ever a real dream of mine), I just don't have that passion or desire to convey anything through it. But I do like the idea of making a surrealist comic book...maybe someday I'll find a good idea and get inspired for a project. Projects I like.
But until then, I'll be happy enough going to art museums.

:p

I'd like to have better skill, but that's not what's separating me from being an artist (not that it was ever a real dream of mine), I just don't have that passion or desire to convey anything through it. But I do like the idea of making a surrealist comic book...maybe someday I'll find a good idea and get inspired for a project. Projects I like.
But until then, I'll be happy enough going to art museums.

:p

A real artiste has more than his art techniques, the ideas behind are key

I think it would be useful if I had a passion for learning Spanish since there are so many Spanish-speaking people who live in the US. I also wish I had a passion for studying my religion (Roman Catholicism), because I hate the fact that I've been a Christian for so many years yet know so little about it, and lack the desire to learn more.

I'd love to be able to draw/paint or write stories. I have no imagination :rolleyes2:

Now if I got a new skill to learn, it should be repairing cars and water pipes.

Repairing looks interesting. But I have to start from zero

If I was going to try to learn a new skill or start a new osession I would do something outlandish and unexpected of course, I have always thought being a "Blacksmith" would be awesome, I actually also would be happy to learn "Ballet" like Bart Simpson did.

Neither is going to happen though ; ]

I'd like to be better with computers.

I know that's extremely broad, but I'm not quite sure which direction I want to go with it yet. Currently looking at university courses in programming and different job possibilities. I've decided if I were to go back to school, which might be a realistic possibility this year, that's what I think I'll study.

I'd like to be better with computers.

I know that's extremely broad, but I'm not quite sure which direction I want to go with it yet. Currently looking at university courses in programming and different job possibilities. I've decided if I were to go back to school, which might be a realistic possibility this year, that's what I think I'll study.

View attachment 2250 courses in programming

New Threads

Top Bottom