• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

if you could design a communication curriculum...

NT, oh I was intentionally trying to be obtuse to protect you a bit. I like puzzles, mysteries and clues.
NT = neuro typical
Girl= female
4276=DOB
I was just thinking, out loud. I often read into things that are simply wrong. Associations that have no correlation to anything, but sometimes I an correct. No big deal.

I took a communication class in college. I think it was required. We only had to do one speech for the class. I had a note taker so notes were not an issue. For my speech I took the whole class outside and taught them how to do something step by step and I got an A. I guess I was the first one to do it that way and the teacher said it was perfect. I don't even think I had to look at anyone because I had to focus on my props (which could be a danger if not attended to) :p I liked classes where teachers let me do things my own way and gave a bit of freedom like that.

How great!! Like your teacher, I would've loved for any of my students to do this! I feel bad for them, sometimes, because they expect a certain rigidity in their schoolwork and don't even allow themselves to think outside the box--they're afraid that taking a risk like that will have a negative effect on their grade, and they're oh so sadly focused on those grades :( but of course, i can't blame them for that. that standardized testing model has been pushed upon them for years.

given that i'm clearly entertaining lots of ideas/suggestions that defy the general education rubrics/expectations for the course, I might as well go all the way, huh? Maybe if I make it clearer to them that they are free to take control of their own presentations in a similar way that you did, someone will take the leap!

NT, oh I was intentionally trying to be obtuse to protect you a bit. I like puzzles, mysteries and clues.
NT = neuro typical
Girl= female
4276=DOB
I was just thinking, out loud. I often read into things that are simply wrong. Associations that have no correlation to anything, but sometimes I an correct. No big deal.

Oh, I get it! Silly me. Usually, I do choose usernames that include numbers that are associated with major life events--like my birthday, graduation dates, etc. But none of those dates "look" nice to me; I like the look of some digits as compared to others (which, yes, is probably strange of me) :p When I signed up for AC, I just closed my eyes and hit some keys on the keyboard :)

[QUOTE="NTgirl4276, Thank you so much for your honest replies, Maelstrom. I find them so helpful. You're right, that I can and should definitely do more to try to better understand and pay deliberate attention to each student's particular needs. It's so easy to get caught up in the higher-education machine (it really has become that, I'm afraid) and just treat all students generally the same, because it's more "efficient." Or, more "objective" and, therefore, "fair." Teachers are under a lot of pressure to be "fair" and treat all students the same "across the board," but I tend to believe that treating people equally or fairly does not equate to treating them the SAME. Equality does not mean sameness. I can do better putting that thought into practice in my teaching.

No apologies necessary for long responses. As you can see, I tend to offer long responses as well :) Your words and ideas are so very valuable to this thread and this collective brainstorming project![/QUOTE]

Hi NTgirl my Mom was a teacher so I know how hard you teachers work, sometimes it's all you can do just to survive the day, so I didn't want to waste your time. I wasn't really pushing for the one on, on one thing as that may stretch you too thin, you can only do what you are able to. But if you can get a feel for which kinds of issues you have in your class, as you may not always have the same things in a year, you can tailor your main lesson presentation style a little for the group you have. Also you could break your classes up into study groups with similar learning styles, and tailor their reading, home work, and tests a little maybe? Also don't forget what I said about stronger students helping weaker ones for extra credit. It is a win win thing, they get their 4.0 GPA, plus teaching someone else helps make the knowledge stick better, and it helps the teacher not burn out, and it frees her up to deal personally more with those who are worst off in the class. After all the goal is to reduce the drop out rate as much as possible.
Best wishes NTgirl... Mael
P.S. Epicurean Piriah was hinting at your age...but the Itailian? cuteness level is high enough a free pass on checking the horses:horseface: teeth may be in order:p...sorry! Maels humor gets him in trouble all the time.:rolleyes:
Sigh! I write too slow:confused:

thanks so much for checking in, Maelstrom! i'm not teaching right now (i get half of the summer off), so just lots of course planning in my spare time when i'm not working on my dissertation. keeping everyone's ideas in mind and trying to incorporate them into my plans! always open to more ideas as i keep working :)

thanks so much for checking in, Maelstrom! i'm not teaching right now (i get half of the summer off), so just lots of course planning in my spare time when i'm not working on my dissertation. keeping everyone's ideas in mind and trying to incorporate them into my plans! always open to more ideas as i keep working :)

You are welcome NTgirl4276 I ran accrossed you in a thread and wondered how you where doing and stuff. Are you okay on your lost auti boyfriend thing? My ex-girlfriend showed up on my home church turf the other day which she never does ever, missed her by a nats eyebrow, I decided at the last minute not to go. I'm not sure how it would have gone me being surprised and all. But I've thought things through and braced my mind, I think I can deal with the situation now, without being drawn in too much. Anyways best wishes to you NTgirl, Mael

as some of you know, i found AC a few months ago (I lurked for a few weeks, before finally posting) when I was attempting to navigate the early stages of a romantic situation with an Aspie. it was my first exposure to the autism spectrum. that situation ultimately didn't work out, but I am so grateful to have had the chance to get to know some members of this supportive and loving community. some of you also know that I teach classes in communication at an American university.

that being said, I am hoping to modify my lesson plans for one of the introductory-level classes that I teach. i've realized how NT-dominant our approach to communication is, and I regret conforming to traditional models without ever considering the role that neurological differences play in everyday interactions. I am also devastated that former students have likely felt alienated or marginalized in our classes.

so, i'm hoping some of you might be able to help me as I work to revise my lesson plans this summer. If you have taken communication classes in the past, what do you wish had been included? Or, differently explored/explained? What do you wish your teacher would have done differently? If you were to take a communication class, what would you hope for? What would you want to walk away with?

For reference, it's a very introductory course, with such broad topics as verbal communication, language acquisition, nonverbal communication/nonverbal "rules" of social interaction, relationship development, interpersonal conflict and conflict resolution, negotiation, group process/group work, and public speaking (both informative and persuasive).

(if you don't feel comfortable posting in the thread, or if you feel this warrants a longer one-on-one conversation, please feel free to PM me! :))

sorry to bump my own thread, but the summer is winding down and my course-planning is now picking up! as i get ready for the fall semester and start to implement your awesome ideas into my curriculum, i'd like to see if anyone has had any more thoughts on this topic. also, if any of the newer members have ideas they want to share, please do!

i'll also add this question: in a classroom environment, what can a teacher do to make you feel comfortable and safe enough to disclose your learning challenges with her?

i'm building a lot of new methods into the everyday classroom experience based on all of your suggestions (i.e. modifying some assignments, changing some activities, using different media and examples, etc.), but i'm concerned that i still won't know some of the unique, particular obstacles a student might be facing because they will not feel ready or willing to share them with me one-on-one (and, unfortunately, i cannot read minds). I've always invited students to be open with me in the past, and I just fear that the invitation isn't enough.

Those first days always got me. I am highly antisocial and reclusive, so I never liked that first day where they made you tell the whole class every last detail about yourself. I started skipping the first days because I knew they wouldn't do it in following days. It seemed a blatant disrespect of personal privacy because some of those teachers got very pushy, belittling, and condescending if anybody didn't want to do it. But, I am an antisocial hermit who got 0% on the Personal Bubble quiz. Most people are much more sociable and also tend to enjoy attention, so it probably doesn't bother them.

Those first days always got me. I am highly antisocial and reclusive, so I never liked that first day where they made you tell the whole class every last detail about yourself. I started skipping the first days because I knew they wouldn't do it in following days. It seemed a blatant disrespect of personal privacy because some of those teachers got very pushy, belittling, and condescending if anybody didn't want to do it. But, I am an antisocial hermit who got 0% on the Personal Bubble quiz. Most people are much more sociable and also tend to enjoy attention, so it probably doesn't bother them.

AsheSkyler, I am no social maven myself. I have don't quite well for myself by not joining the fray and chaos but controlling or soaring above the madness. It seems to me that those of us that master ourselves first, than we can master our situations, each in our own way, eventually we gain control over our place in the bigger scheme of things.
There may be an inverse ratio
of us who are striving to identify and be accepted by the majority and self worth. That is to say the more we revel in our condition the happier we become. The more we grow towards self acceptance the less we need any others approval.
That is my slant on us , hermits. Then the questions becomes; are you happy, or at least not unhappy.
I might be as "cave bat" crap crazy, with delusions of joy.

[QUOTE="NTgirl4276, i'd like to see if anyone has had any more thoughts on this topic. also, if any of the newer members have ideas they want to share, please do!

i'll also add this question: in a classroom environment, what can a teacher do to make you feel comfortable and safe enough to disclose your learning challenges with her?[/QUOTE]

I will try to help you some more NTgirl, you have likely studied all the conditions more than me NTgirl. I'm assuming you are after more directly appliable suggestions. I will start with the last classroom thing first AsheSkyler and others have given lots of nice suggestions, I can only think of one more thing on shy students. If when asking a shy student you moved over next to them so you are standing side by side, and you bent down a little when you ask, and they answer, so they felt like they were speaking just to you, they may say more in class. And you can repeat the answer louder for the class to hear if needed, without using their name so they aren't embarrassed so much. Does this help?

On general teaching methods for learning differences, I don't know if you will like this but I'm trying to make this as simple and easy for you to apply to get the best results while covering all the learning types as much as possible, Visual picturing, audio, written verbal language, and kinetic.

So step:
1: (written verbal learning), written assignments on zeroxed papers with written instructions on the assignment, if it is a math assignment the formulas should be on the sheet with one problem worked out next to each one with all steps and marks and arrows showing the numbers movements.

2: (visual leaning) this will sound strange but thinking on how Egyption hieroglyphics work may help, I am very visual and I love emojies to death.:) Any little picture symbols or symbol strings to anchor in memory a math formula or story concept even a grammer rule, could help cement the learned memory.

3: (audio) In the tradition of the old Irish Bards poetic song is very strong in cementing long term memories. So if you can make little catchy word poems to be sung or recited, for important formulas in math or rules in grammer and spelling this would help allot...I believe some of these already exist if you can find them, my mother a grade school teacher used to recite some of them.

4: (kinetic memory), This may be already somewhat dealt with by having things written and your poem things recited out loud, but you could add some of those song hand symbol things done when rule poems are recited out loud or sung.

5: If you you are really clever you can smoosh together (1:,2:,3:,and 4:,) into a cute little singable word poems with little picture symbols sprinkled in them, and you can turn reciting the rule poems into a fun silly hand sign game the class does...no age limit allowed on the silliness.:D

:) I hope I have helped you some NTgirl I tried to make it as simple as possible for you, you can add examples, and reasons, and autistic conditions that apply to each of these learning areas along with your lists of social methods of making autistic students more comfortable and slowly stretching their comfort zones in class. There are quite a few mentioned by previous posts here. And you likely can get more in the Thread Catagories: General Autism Discussion, and PDD-nos, and Social Anxieties.

Best wishes to you on the autistic Teaching and paper writing thing NTgirl, I hope I helped you some. Mael :)

AsheSkyler, I am no social maven myself. I have don't quite well for myself by not joining the fray and chaos but controlling or soaring above the madness. It seems to me that those of us that master ourselves first, than we can master our situations, each in our own way, eventually we gain control over our place in the bigger scheme of things.
There may be an inverse ratio
of us who are striving to identify and be accepted by the majority and self worth. That is to say the more we revel in our condition the happier we become. The more we grow towards self acceptance the less we need any others approval.
That is my slant on us , hermits. Then the questions becomes; are you happy, or at least not unhappy.
I might be as "cave bat" crap crazy, with delusions of joy.
...Huh?

I seek the minds of others that might be interested in giving time to others, under the premise that intellect and friendships seeks it own level.
So, that is my agenda. I live in a real risk and reward type world. How can I help you with your aspirations, what is your agenda, by the way?
I'm perfectly fine with being an introverted little hermit, it's those extroverted stalkers that have the problem with it! :p

oh, this makes TOTAL sense. I hate those "icebreaker" games myself.

follow-up question. would you be more or less inclined to speak to your new teacher one-on-one? I'm considering a possibility: for the first week of class, we'd meet on Monday as usual, and I would explain the course and the syllabus. But for the other class days of that first week (Wednesday and Friday), formal class wouldn't be held. instead, students would make an appointment to come see me in my office for about 15 minutes and just introduce themselves to me. so, we could skip the forced group socializing but I could still get to know them a little bit early on. they might also be more comfortable asking questions, sharing their strengths and weaknesses, telling me about any concerns they have in a private setting?

for myself, i know i preferred talking to my highschool counselor more than any type of group setting, whether it was a group therapy or something in class. we didn't really do the "icebreaker" stuff in later grades, maybe earlier ones.. i remember after each summer we had to make a report about what we did over the summer but i don't remember needing to do it outloud thankfully. moreso since it was usually "i did nothing" that i had to stretch out into a 3-5 paragraph writing. but i think for me it would have been a lot easier talking directly to the teacher than the whole class in cases like that. there's still always your typical nervousness and such but overall it's a hell of a lot easier.

especially direct questions if i'm at a loss for words. so "what did you do during the summer" is just far too wide of a question. but "did you go on vacation?" lets me narrow it down

oh, this makes TOTAL sense. I hate those "icebreaker" games myself.

follow-up question. would you be more or less inclined to speak to your new teacher one-on-one? I'm considering a possibility: for the first week of class, we'd meet on Monday as usual, and I would explain the course and the syllabus. But for the other class days of that first week (Wednesday and Friday), formal class wouldn't be held. instead, students would make an appointment to come see me in my office for about 15 minutes and just introduce themselves to me. so, we could skip the forced group socializing but I could still get to know them a little bit early on. they might also be more comfortable asking questions, sharing their strengths and weaknesses, telling me about any concerns they have in a private setting?
That would probably work well with the shy ones. Especially if they have something private they need you aware of, like incontinence or something, and don't want it shouted out across the room. Two birds, one stone, as they say.
Normal schools probably don't have incontinent students, but I had a fair bit of middle-aged and elderly class mates. Some of them had no shame and blurted all their concerns out in the middle of class. :oops:

Although if you sit at a big desk and they sit in a little chair, they'll likely feel like they're in time out. ;)

I've never taken a communication class but it sounds like something that would pique my interest now.

I think your suggestion of setting the first week aside to meet students one on one is excellent. Perhaps you could even issue questionnaires to try to pick up on those who don't even feel comfortable discussing issues verbally? Although I have to say that back when I was at uni, I probably would've lied through my teeth rather than admit to a stranger that I wasn't normal! :D I still do!

I was never one to volunteer information in classes even when I knew answers, and always resented being called upon. When I had to speak in front of others my mouth would go on autopilot and my brain would shut down... As I'm a visual thinker this is scary, like being blinded and having to walk a busy road, so I avoid public speaking. Finding out early from students whether they are visual or verbal thinkers is important, I think. It's only in the last year I've understood how different my thinking style is and I'm 39... Think how much better my learning in younger years might have been if my thinking style had been recognised early on...

Also, I lived in Japan for 8 years and never took classes to learn Japanese. I learnt it by osmosis... I don't really understand how I did it but I read a lot, and watched a lot of videos of favourite TV shows and movies so I could listen to the Japanese version and read the Japanese subtitles. It was interesting to me that others didn't seem to benefit as much as I did from this method of learning. I often recommended it to my own students (I was teaching English while I was there) but I'm not sure whether it helped them or not. I sometimes wonder if it's because I'm a visual thinker and watching TV/movies allowed me to connect the words with the images I saw, creating meaning for me. This could be interesting to discuss in your class?

i think for me it would have been a lot easier talking directly to the teacher than the whole class in cases like that. there's still always your typical nervousness and such but overall it's a hell of a lot easier.

Although if you sit at a big desk and they sit in a little chair, they'll likely feel like they're in time out. ;)

thank you, so much, the both of you! the more i think about it, the more i want to try the one-on-one introductions during that first week. and, luckily, I share my office with a bunch of other doctoral candidates, so when students come to see me, they just grab a chair from one the neighboring desks. we're all on an equal playing field, so to speak, and i never sit behind my desk when i talk with them. :)

I am fine with a group of perhaps 4 people. I can speak or listen quite comfortably in that setting. In larger groups the dynamics change, the BS increases, manipulation, prevarication and duplicity increase as well as superficiality and ego aggrandizement.

i agree that group dynamics really do play a huge role in communication. i wouldn't necessarily say that the changes are always negative (i.e. BS, manipulation, duplicity, egotism, as you mention), but the more people involved, the greater complexity the communication interaction takes on. one of the most obvious influences i've observed in my teaching is gendered performance. particularly in classes in which there is a significantly higher number of men than women, we get a lot of what we call "peacocking." It's a reference to the bird, of course, and the manner in which people will compete with one another for attention and praise in the classroom. Showing off their "feathers," in a way. It's definitely a more competitive atmosphere, and one that is more acutely felt in groups dominated by male voices. And, especially when the teacher or authority figure is a young woman, as I am.

The reason is NT children accept guile as the way to get over. I think the Aspers are to direct and forthright to get the nuance, and thus become socially inept.

I've been thinking a lot about this lately. Recently, I was talking about ASD with my friend who is likely on the spectrum, and he said that my RAADS-R test score must mean that I'm "really good at communication." I actually disagreed with him; I think NTs are good at a particular type of communication. And, while I wouldn't use the term "guile" (because it ascribes a level of intent I'm not necessarily comfortable inferring), I would agree that NT-dominant communication is often vague, ambiguous, and circumscribing. And, quite frankly, I don't think that is good.

In many ways, I think Aspies and Auties have it right. Being direct, clear, and forthright is GOOD. It is what we preach, but very rarely is it what we teach. If Aspies and Auties are "socially inept," it is only because they are expected to play a game that is poorly designed. The game has been designed by NTs, for NTs, but just because we know how to play it, doesn't mean that we should.

Also, I lived in Japan for 8 years and never took classes to learn Japanese. I learnt it by osmosis... I don't really understand how I did it but I read a lot, and watched a lot of videos of favourite TV shows and movies so I could listen to the Japanese version and read the Japanese subtitles. It was interesting to me that others didn't seem to benefit as much as I did from this method of learning. I often recommended it to my own students (I was teaching English while I was there) but I'm not sure whether it helped them or not. I sometimes wonder if it's because I'm a visual thinker and watching TV/movies allowed me to connect the words with the images I saw, creating meaning for me. This could be interesting to discuss in your class?

This is very interesting! Thanks for chiming in, Cosmophylla! :) In attempting to redesign this curriculum, I think "learning styles" might be a very productive entry point. For many teachers and students alike, "different learning styles" is a familiar concept. It might even be a way for Aspies and Auties to not feel singled out in the classroom, if I am able to more clearly emphasize that everyone learns in different ways, and that it's beneficial to figure out which way works best for you. I think there are some tests that I could find online that some students might want to take, to help them figure it out!

I'll also gladly take up your suggestion to issue a brief questionnaire ahead of time. I think it will definitely help anyone who is nervous about coming to see me individually, and is anxious about what to say or what to share. Thank you!

Last edited:
"NTgirl4276, post: 245121,

I've been thinking a lot about this lately. Recently, I was talking about ASD with my friend who is likely on the spectrum, and he said that my RAADS-R test score must mean that I'm "really good at communication." I actually disagreed with him; I think NTs are good at a particular type of communication. And, while I wouldn't use the term "guile" (because it ascribes a level of intent I'm not necessarily comfortable inferring), I would agree that NT-dominant communication is often vague, ambiguous, and circumscribing. And, quite frankly, I don't think that is good.

In many ways, I think Aspies and Auties have it right. Being direct, clear, and forthright is GOOD. It is what we preach, but very rarely is it what we teach. If Aspies and Auties are "socially inept," it is only because they are expected to play a game that is poorly designed. The game has been designed by NTs, for NTs, but just because we know how to play it, doesn't mean that we should.

Hi NTgirl I like what you wrote very much, and as a auspie I have suffered a fair amount over the years on the hidden empathic sentiments conversational rules. I have struggled greatly with the competing needs of honesty and and social grace. I do not like hurting peoples feelings and I try to avoid it if I can, but I also feel like throwing up when I have sit there quietly and listen to the moon is made of green cheese arguments that are stupider than dirt...it offends the core of my soul. And yes I can and do listen to the opposing side for merit, there is nothing I value more than learning something new of merit, that I missed...I don't find very many people who share this view.
So the great paradox is how to be kind and polite and still fight for truth, correctness, and honesty. I have found being sweet as Mother Teriesa when challanging and stupid or evil belief that is held dear doesn't buy much more mercy than all out Holy war. How one charts the best course on this is still a mystery I'm working on.

On the social side I'm getting tagged for NT empathic sentiment violations etcetera... here in aspie land just as much as in NT land. Apparently the street on I don't value NT empathic social graces rules only goes one way...much of the time.:rolleyes: My view is don't dish it out if you can't take it, aparently that is incorrect as well.:rolleyes:

So I'm going back to NT rules...which are charm them if you can...and always watch your back, even with friends...and listen for steel being sharpened on stone, you never know who is are real friend until a sacred cow is in danger.

So call me fake for the charming and whatever stuff...I don't care, it's not like anyone is really giving me a choice...it seems to me that to survive you have to pile on the sugar, or learn to be the biggest Rooster real fast.

I prefer mutual benifit and cooperation and truth in life...I have found that position to be a very lonely one.

thank you, so much, the both of you! the more i think about it, the more i want to try the one-on-one introductions during that first week. and, luckily, I share my office with a bunch of other doctoral candidates, so when students come to see me, they just grab a chair from one the neighboring desks. we're all on an equal playing field, so to speak, and i never sit behind my desk when i talk with them. :)
Any time. And on the bright side, it's just one semester and doesn't effect the purpose of the class. If it goes terribly, you can go back to traditional means next semester. If it goes great, it could be implemented either semester. And either way, classes still get taught and (hopefully) students learn. No guarantees on the students learning. Teaching students and raising kids are both like trying to herd cats in a rain shower. :p

Particularly in classes in which there is a significantly higher number of men than women, we get a lot of what we call "peacocking." It's a reference to the bird, of course, and the manner in which people will compete with one another for attention and praise in the classroom. Showing off their "feathers," in a way. It's definitely a more competitive atmosphere, and one that is more acutely felt in groups dominated by male voices. And, especially when the teacher or authority figure is a young woman, as I am.

Change "classes" to "places" and you've accurately described a lot of other situations.

Do you think it is universally good? As in, all situations? I don't. While directness is helpful in the "norm" situation, that same directness can be a Blunt Object, and one aspies are well-equipped to wield.

This is very interesting! Thanks for chiming in, Cosmophylla! :) In attempting to redesign this curriculum, I think "learning styles" might be a very productive entry point. For many teachers and students alike, "different learning styles" is a familiar concept. It might even be a way for Aspies and Auties to not feel singled out in the classroom, if I am able to more clearly emphasize that everyone learns in different ways, and that it's beneficial to figure out which way works best for you. I think there are some tests that I could find online that some students might want to take, to help them figure it out!

I'll also gladly take up your suggestion to issue a brief questionnaire ahead of time. I think it will definitely help anyone who is nervous about coming to see me individually, and is anxious about what to say or what to share. Thank you!

You might want to know about a technique that effectively makes the Learning Style Inventory and its siblings almost obsolete, not because they're useless, but because the level of customization they require is expensive. Before you jump into that pool, have a look at Trautman's Teach What You Know. I've taken his class. Now I teach it to my corporate clients. It works. Happy to PM about it if you like.

New Threads

Top Bottom