• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If we made contact with aliens, how would religions react?

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me. I came across this article and - although it's from 2016 - thought it was interesting to see what you guys thought. Please click the link at the bottom of the page to read the article in full).

The discovery of life on another planet might seem incompatible with faith in a deity. Yet many theologians are already open to the existence of extraterrestrials, argues the writer Brandon Ambrosino.

In 2014, Nasa awarded $1.1M to the Center for Theological Inquiry, an ecumenical research institute in New Jersey, to study “the societal implications of astrobiology”.

Some were enraged. The Freedom From Religion Foundation, which promotes the division between Church and state, asked Nasa to revoke the grant, and threatened to sue if Nasa didn’t comply. While the FFR stated that their concern was the commingling of government and religious organisations, they also made it clear that they thought the grant was a waste of money. “Science should not concern itself with how its progress will impact faith-based beliefs.”

The FFR’s argument might well be undermined, however, when the day comes that humanity has to respond to the discovery of aliens. Such a discovery would raise a series of questions that would exceed the bounds of science. For example, when we ask, “What is life?” are we asking a scientific question or a theological one? Questions about life’s origins and its future are complicated, and must be explored holistically, across disciplines. And that includes the way we respond to the discovery of aliens.

This is not just an idle fantasy: many scientists would now argue that the detection of extraterrestrial life is more a question of when, not if.

There are several reasons for this confidence, but a main one has to do with the speed at which scientists have been discovering planets outside of our own Solar System. In 2000, astronomers knew of about 50 of these ‘exoplanets’. By 2013, they had found almost 850, located in over 800 planetary systems. That number may reach one million by the year 2045, says David Weintraub, associate professor of Astronomy at Vanderbilt University, and author of Religions and Extraterrestrial Life. “We can quite reasonably expect that the number of known exoplanets will soon become, like the stars, almost uncountable,” he writes. Of those discovered so far, more than 20 are Earth-size exoplanets that occupy a “habitable” zone around their star, including the most recently discovered Proxima b, which orbits Proxima Centauri.

The upshot is that the more we’re able to peer into space, the more certain we become that our planet isn’t the only one suitable for life.

With few exceptions, most of the discussions about Seti (the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence) tend to stay in the domain of the hard sciences. But the implications of Seti extend well beyond biology and physics, reaching to the humanities and philosophy and even theology. As Carl Sagan has pointed out in (the now out-of-print book) The Cosmic Question, “space exploration leads directly to religious and philosophical questions”. We would need to consider whether our faiths could accommodate these new beings – or if it should shake our beliefs to the core.

Working out these questions might be called exotheology or astro-theology, terms defined by Ted Peters, Professor Emeritus in Theology at Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary, to refer to “speculation on the theological significance of extraterrestrial life”. As he notes, Peters isn’t the first or only one to use the term, which dates back at least 300 years, to a 1714 publication titled ‘Astro-theology, or a Demonstration of the Being and Attributes of God From a Survey of the Heavens’.

How unique are we?

So what issues might the discovery of intelligent aliens raise? Let’s start with the question of our uniqueness – an issue that has troubled both theologians and scientists. Guiding Seti are three principles, as Paul Davies explains in the book Are We Alone? First, there’s the principle of nature’s uniformity, which claims that the physical processes seen on Earth can be found throughout the Universe. This means that the same processes that produce life here produce life everywhere.

Second is the principle of plenitude, which affirms that everything that is possible will be realised. For the purposes of Seti, the second principle claims that as long as there are no impediments to life forming, then life will form; or, as Arthur Lovejoy, the American philosopher who coined the term, puts it, “no genuine possibility of being can remain unfulfilled”. That’s because, claims Sagan, “The origin of life on suitable planets seems built into the chemistry of the Universe.”

The third, the mediocrity principle, claims that there is nothing special about Earth’s status or position in the Universe. This could present the greatest challenge to the major Abrahamic religions, which teach that human beings are purposefully created by God and occupy a privileged position in relation to other creatures.

In some ways, our modern scientific world was formed by the recognition of our own mediocrity, as David Weintraub notes in the book Religion and Extraterrestrial Life: “When in 1543 C.E. Copernicus hurled the Earth into orbit around the Sun, the subsequent intellectual revolution … swept the discarded remnants of the Aristotelian, geocentric Universe into the trash bin of history.”

The Copernican revolution, as it would later come to be understood, laid the groundwork for scientists, like Davies, to eventually claim that ours is “a typical planet around a typical star in a typical galaxy”. Sagan puts it even more startlingly: “We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.”

But how could a believer reconcile this with their faith that humans are the crowning achievement of God’s creation?. How could humans believe they were the apple of their creator’s eye if their planet was just one of billions?

The discovery of intelligent aliens could have a similar Copernican effect on human’s self-understanding. Would the discovery make believers feel insignificant, and as a consequence, cause people to question their faith?

I would argue that this concern is misguided. The claim that God is involved with and moved by humans has never required an Earth-centric theology. The Psalms, sacred to both Jews and Christians, claim that God has given names to all the stars. According to the Talmud, God spends his night flying throughout 18,000 worlds. And Islam insists that “all things in the heavens and on the Earth” are Allah’s, as the Koran says, implying that his rule extends well beyond one tiny planet. The same texts are unequivocally clear that human beings are special to God, who seems fairly able to multitask.

Second, we don’t reserve the word “special” only for unrepeatable, unique, isolated phenomena. As Peters says, the discovery of life elsewhere in the Universe would not compromise God’s love for Earth life, “just as a parent’s love for a child is not compromised because that child has a brother or sister”. If you believe in a God, why assume he is only able to love a few of his starchildren?

Full Article: If we made contact with aliens, how would religions react?

There are no aliens, and even if there were, they wouldn't come within 50 light years of this place. Can't say I blame them at all.

And no, I haven't been flashed:

I totally remember not being flashed at all. No such thing happened.

Are aliens the same with fallen angels or perhaps nephilim in the bible?

“The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.

Now it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born to them, that the sons of God saw the daughters of men, that they were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves of all whom they chose.”

probably they will all fall under the sway

the bible states according to the prince of the power of the air and many other similar things but most will miss that

I'm kind of in 2 minds as to whether intelligent life exists on other worlds, I mean come on, intelligent life doesn't always exist on Earth in some cases :D

Sort of like this:

I think religions will adopt the same mindset to extraterrestrial life as they did to the newly discovered civilizations of the past: They must be converted or "saved" because that is God's will. Meanwhile, political interests creep in and try to destabilize and assimilate the new civilization into their own.

Last edited:
Religions can't react. Religious people, I suppose how literalist and what religion they are would impact their reaction. Christianity, as far as I know, doesn't rule out beings from other worlds. Islam appears to assume that they exist. Those are the only two religions I know well enough to comment.

Last edited:
How would religions react?

Probably badly after the aliens landed their spacecraft on the White House lawn only to see the children be immediately separated from their parents.

How would religions react?

Probably badly after the aliens landed their spacecraft on the White House lawn only to see the children be immediately separated from their parents.

That's assuming they're peaceful. High technology doesn't have to suggest a civilization is nonviolent.

That's assuming they're peaceful. High technology doesn't have to suggest a civilization is nonviolent.

Actually I'd think that any technologically advanced civilization with interstellar flight capabilities would likely avoid Earth like the plague, for good reason. :eek:

Unless of course they wanted to add us to their menu. :cool:

MomentCam_20180621141820.gif

Actually I'd think that any technologically advanced civilization with interstellar flight capabilities would likely avoid Earth like the plague, for good reason. :eek:

Or devastate Earth because we keep filling space with our trash and radio signals. We're like that obnoxious neighbor that plays loud music non-stop.

until you can prove what happened before the big bang and why it happened i the first place, they will always be able to invoke a grand creator

I'm still fascinated by those who claim that in the afterlife, we are segregated by species and planet. That only those souls most evolved have the capability of transcending such "cosmic boundaries".

George Wallace would feel right at home, standing at a heavenly water fountain marked, "Earthlings Only".

until you can prove what happened before the big bang and why it happened i the first place, they will always be able to invoke a grand creator

They can income all they want.

My money is she won't appear.

But how do I collect on my bet?

I'm still fascinated by those who claim that in the afterlife, we are segregated by species and planet. That only those souls most evolved have the capability of transcending such "cosmic boundaries".

One animal heaven.

Dogs plus alien pets.

One surprising Scooby Doo impression as each dog arrives in the after life...

i always used to ask my grandmother:
- can i eat my favourite food in heaven
- can i have sex in heaven
- will i be able to do my hobbies
- how will apple get the latest iPhone up there
- if i die before my wife, how am i supposed to keep busy till she gets to heaven, will we be 'age adjusted' to remain 'compatible'
- how do you keep busy for eternity
- how does heaven deal with sewage
- my favourite: what is the temperature in heaven, i like it cool my wife likes it warmer, how do they sort that, if i have to listen to her complain that its too cold for eternity, that really doesn't sound like heaven to me

basically, i would really piss her off...

Reading some of these answers, I got reminded of this:

A bit beforehand (not shown on this video), Father Matthew thinks no real attempt has been made to communicate with the aliens and that if they're more advanced than us then they 'should be nearer the creator for that reason'.
His hypothesis didn't really hold water, as you see.

New Threads

Top Bottom