• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If there were any sense to the English language...............

There's a few different accents across Australia too but they're not as pronounced as the variations you get in the US or Britain. As I travelled around the country a lot of people asked me how long I'd been in Australia, or if I was Kiwi.
LOL. So....phonetically how do you pronounce the number six? ;)
I grew up in Adelaide, which was never a penal colony. Instead it was a free settlement opened up for those that could afford it and was aimed at being a holiday destination for wealthy Brits. Beautiful beaches and a mediteranean climate but everyone still speaks English and behaves properly.
Bleedin' proppa? Or proper as in Mayfair and Belgravia as opposed to the East End ?
So there's always been a touch of upper class English in our accent, and it's also the city that's attracted the greatest number of British migrants over the years so the accent sort of stuck.

Bloody hell! Oh well. My kin have been known to give the Brits a bad time on occasion. But then "Norn Iron" isn't quite the King's English either....lol.

Last edited:
The conjugations you're looking for are Consensual and Consensualise.

English is a very extensive language, it's actually a mix of 4 different languages which is why the original spelling is important, the spelling gives hints as to the language of origin of words and helps us decipher different nuances of meaning.

Trivia:
The Italian language consists of approximately 80,000 words.
The French language consists of approximately 120,000 words.
The English language has over 500,000 words.
Very few people have a vocabulary of more than 20,000 words.
The conjugations you're looking for are Consensual and Consensualise.

English is a very extensive language, it's actually a mix of 4 different languages which is why the original spelling is important, the spelling gives hints as to the language of origin of words and helps us decipher different nuances of meaning.

Trivia:
The Italian language consists of approximately 80,000 words.
The French language consists of approximately 120,000 words.
The English language has over 500,000 words.
Very few people have a vocabulary of more than 20,000 words.
Tough call. From living here in the U.S., the British spelling 'Consensicise' is the better spelling. I rejected 'Consensicate' -- UUUGGGHHH!

Bleedin' proppa? Or proper as in Mayfair and Belgravia as opposed to the East End ?
That was old England of 200 years ago, they loved the Mediteranean but hated seeing it full of wogs and dagos.

My daughter was homeschooled, and we have an inside joke borne from her Language Arts studies.

She was in elementary school, and I was teaching her about homophones.

She was playfully airing grievances about the fact that some words sound the same even though they are spelled differently and have different meanings.

I comfortingly patted her on the back, and gently said "There, there."

But she cracked up laughing when she realized what I meant was "They're, their."

Here is an Italian word famillar with adults on the Autism Spectrum (even adults who are largely independent - as with High Functioning Autism (HFA)) who are struggling with family dynamics involving trustworthy, caring family, and friends who are ripe-for 'doing the wrong things for the right reasons' in order to "supposedly" accomodate an HFA adult . In short, misguided intentions which end-up yielding much regret for all parties involved in the end.

Here is a word which can catch-on with people concerned with the Autism Spectrum, 'Rimpianto' (Italian): This word refers to a feeling of regret or remorse, often stemming from actions taken with good intentions but that ultimately lead to undesirable outcomes. It conveys the sense of hindsight and the recognition of unintended consequences.
Speaking of family dynamics, the English language too often cannot do justice even the least of complicated family dynamics. To put to words such elusive concepts can increasingly feel like a tiresome exercise in stretching the English language to it's limits.

The Italian word 'Rimpianto' only does a fairly satisfactory job in describing the family dynamics involving regret, and hindsight stemming from unintenend consequences. I'm uncertain as to how 'Rimpianto' can help "break the ice" in my Italian Ancestry family.

Be careful using words from other languages unless you're actually fluent in that language, most people just come off looking foolish and poorly educated.

When I was still only 8 or 9 I spent a lot of time with an old Italian man after he caught his grandson beating me up. He and his wife were always in the kitchen cooking something and I get well fed and taught a few things about cooking, but being an old man he liked to have a bit of a rant about what the world's coming to today and the stupidity of mankind in general.

He was especially offended by people misusing his language. He laughed about tourists going to Italy and ordering coffee, he said they always ask for Espresso because they think speaking an Italian word makes them sound clever and educated. He said Espresso means "burnt crap". He explained that to make good coffee you need to roast the beans slowly in an oven, but if you're out of properly roasted coffee you can throw a handful of beans into a dry fry pan on a really high heat and scorch them. Really hot, really fast - Espresso.

Related to this thread:

I saw something delightful the other day, two Americans in Britain getting into an argument with an elderly British gentleman about the word "aluminium"... or was it aluminum :) It was really funny.

I had a chemistry teacher in high school who could not pronounce "molybdenum". It used to drive me crazy.

Speaking of family dynamics, the English language too often cannot do justice even the least of complicated family dynamics. To put to words such elusive concepts can increasingly feel like a tiresome exercise in stretching the English language to it's limits.

The Italian word 'Rimpianto' only does a fairly satisfactory job in describing the family dynamics involving regret, and hindsight stemming from unintenend consequences. I'm uncertain as to how 'Rimpianto' can help "break the ice" in my Italian Ancestry family.
It's also refreshing to see understandable, English language desripitions for non-English langauge words.

It can be that "ice breaker" to mention both a Non-English word, with an understandable English translation.

Nothing like encouraging that "double take" with your listener(s) by augmenting non-English words with English words to handle those challenges with the Autism Spectrum........while encouraging others to avoid "jumping to the wrong conclusions!"

The German term, 'fisselig' (pronounced 'fissel thish') means flustered to the point of incompetence stemming from (often unnecessary) nagging.

Now ask the Scots to pronounce "purple burglar alarm". :oops:

Jimeoin reminisced in one of his standup routines about tormenting his (Irish) father by asking him to buy a round in an Aussie pub, and hearing him try to order “two schooners of Tooheys new.”

I heard an old German mate talking to his sister on the phone one night, and after he hung up I told him that he could never move back to Germany because he can't speak German any more, every second or third word was in English.

He laughed, but he said that they all speak like that in Germany because some things are just much easier to say in English.

He also told me that in Germany a shifting spanner is called an Englander, because only the poms could invent a spanner that completely buggers every nut you use it on and yet you can't call your toolkit complete without one.

Any specific examples of non-English, or those English words which might be helpful in our everyday lives?

- The Italian word 'malinteso' means 'misunderstanding.'

- The German word, 'fehlstart' means 'false start' - a word which might convey a 'haste makes waste' scenario.

Such non-English words such as 'malinteso' and 'fehlstart' are easy to remember, spell, and pronounce in the often hurried 'English speaking world. Are such non-English words ripe for wide adaptation in the English speaking world?

* Discussion continues in next post.............

Any specific examples of non-English, or those English words which might be helpful in our everyday lives?

- The Italian word 'malinteso' means 'misunderstanding.'

- The German word, 'fehlstart' means 'false start' - a word which might convey a 'haste makes waste' scenario.

Such non-English words such as 'malinteso' and 'fehlstart' are easy to remember, spell, and pronounce in the often hurried 'English speaking world. Are such non-English words ripe for wide adaptation in the English speaking world?

* Discussion continues in next post.............
There are those examples in which the English language conveys volumes. Here are two examples which might just "break the ice" in some of those challenging situations in everyday life:

- The only thing you/we have to worry about is .....worry itself!

- The road to hell is paved with good intentions!

New Threads

Top Bottom