• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If NO friends, what r the alternatives?

The alternative to no friends?

Betrayal, drama, duplicitousness, insincerity, aggression, lies, manipulation, theft, ingratitude...

I could go on but you get the picture.

I'll look coarse angling up - if I don't have to hurt the catch, it may work for me in the summer.

Here in uk carp / coarse is huge. If your lucky enough to find a lake, and you get hooked, go winter fishing.

It's only for the hardcore in a good hard UK winter, but it's a challenge, catching a fish is amazing.

Taking a pic and putting them back is even better. Loads of nature to surround yourself in.

I have been so still I've blended into the surrounding, birds have landed on my fishing rod tips, a mink dived in and caught a fish right in front of me once.

I remember once I was blended in, I saw a herron (like a stoke) it was far away and didn't move for hour's. I thought it was a fake in the end. Got the binoculars out and studied for ages. Until it flinched... amazing. All that time standing in one spot, still.
Just like I was. . .
Sold my kit ages ago. Biggest regret for me. I love fishing

Gosh, this thread resonates! I could've written the initial post word for word many times! Love seeing the replies, as I am often looking for ways to feel a connection with others.
I do sometimes push myself to invite an acquaintance I've met along the way for coffee. Maybe a workmate when I worked, or another parent I've had a few conversations with around kids. I find it easier to connect one-on-one, as I find groups and crowds makes my anxiety worse and I feel over-stimulated. But if I suggest a quick coffee with someone, I often find they have been looking for friends too. Sometimes I enjoy the chat and want to have another coffee, and sometimes I don't. I've managed to make a few friends this way (they don't have to be amazing-best-friend types), then when I'm feeling isolated and lonely I can get in touch with someone and say I'd love to catch up for coffee sometime this week - gives me something to look forward to.
I've taken the dog to the beach or a park a few times just to say hello to a passing human (if they initiate chat, I can ask them about their dog - easy way to start a conversation for the socially awkward!) or parked a long way from where I need to go in town and walked among people - some will make eye contact and smile, which is a connection of sorts (I usually reply with a 'good morning' or 'good afternoon' as I pass if they do)
I do find the chat room on here can be a great source of chit-chat if I'm wanting connection but can't go out. If people are talking on a topic you don't relate to, just observe and join in when the conversation invariably changes.
When you are feeling a little lighter and have found ways to connect with the world, write down a list of things that have helped for next time you're feeling down. :)

I've had friends and relationships on and off throughout my life, but for some reason, right now I'm in a particularly ISOLATED mode, and I'm just wondering what other people do to combat their isolation/loneliness.

FYI, I have a beautiful dog and wildlife that visits my yard, but I'm finding myself excessively day-dreaming too much again (gotta stop that cuz it takes over my life too often), and even though I'm on Match and Meet-up, I find myself isolating more and more after bad experiences.

Honestly, I think I'm getting tired of trying to connect! everyone just disappoints me, so now I've consciously decided to go solo b/c I find it strangely comforting right now...except I'm getting too much into my head, self-absorbed & self-critical - do you know what I mean?

So I'm wondering what others do to fill the "social" gap. I've got my pets/animals, and of course my hobbies, but I'm missing something else...perhaps I should go out to museums or something, just to be around people but NOT really. LOL

What do others do to feel socially okay when they are feeling too isolated?

Hello,
We all are isolated to some degree because of COVID. I have the same situation about friendships not working out. I am also in my head a lot. I do food delivery and this gets me out with the public. It's task oriented so my mind is occupied. This past summer I volunteered at a wildlife rehab center feeding baby birds and such.
I would also recommend joining a bird club, they are a kooky bunch and there is a task involved..spotting birds! Usually after there is going to a restaurant for lunch etc. You may or may not find a friend, but you do get to socialize. There may be other types of volunteering in your area that you might be interested. I'm sure you can find a bird club in your area. Usually they have monthly meetings too!

New Threads

Top Bottom