• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ideas To Keep Me From Scratching Myself

@Jennacide

If you use tobacco, you may be deficient in B-vitamins.
If you lived across the road from me, I'd say try B-vitamins
and calcium & magnesium.

Because you live so far from me and there isn't much
chance of building a relationship based on frequent observation
(you, to know that I am a rational person & have background
in subject of this type), I don't expect you to pay attention,
really.

Plus, the urge to claw is deep seated and has its built in
satisfactions. I suppose you've already tried wearing
gloves.

@Jennacide

If you use tobacco, you may be deficient in B-vitamins.
If you lived across the road from me, I'd say try B-vitamins
and calcium & magnesium.

Because you live so far from me and there isn't much
chance of building a relationship based on frequent observation
(you, to know that I am a rational person & have background
in subject of this type), I don't expect you to pay attention,
really.

Plus, the urge to claw is deep seated and has its built in
satisfactions. I suppose you've already tried wearing
gloves.

Too hot here to wear gloves, I eat lots of Vegemite and Promite which is packed with vitamin B...and im a dairy queen...love my milk and cheese... and for magnesium i eat lots of dark choc and fish.
Sooo not sure if its a vitamin deficiency thingy...but more of a habit now and my progressive agoraphobia is accelerating, so when i leave my house now its pretty much unbearable. Just trying to save my skin lol :)

Yeah, see that's exactly the sort of thing I'd expect
a person who doesn't know me to say.

That they are getting super dooper excellent amounts
of everything and that supplementation won't make
a difference. Not the first time I've heard that.

Sometimes I don't know why I bother.
Once in awhile, though, a person profits by a direction
I can point them toward. Takes many presentations,
though.

One person is very happy to be reaping the benefits of
not smoking now. She said "Thanks for being a
broken record."

Maybe that's why.

Yeah, see that's exactly the sort of thing I'd expect
a person who doesn't know me to say.

That they are getting super dooper excellent amounts
of everything and that supplementation won't make
a difference. Not the first time I've heard that.

I didnt say that at all... just mentioning the foods i eat have those things in them. Id take supplements if they werent so expensive. But anyways, thanks for the suggestions :) but i just want to try some sort of finger distraction thingy first and see how that goes.

Are the cigarettes you smoke free? :)

Maybe your scratching isn't so advanced as one person I know.
She goes to the doctor and has the holes flushed and packed.
Her face, arms, legs.....where ever she can reach.

Are the cigarettes you smoke free? :)

Maybe your scratching isn't so advanced as one person I know.
She goes to the doctor and has the holes flushed and packed.
Her face, arms, legs.....where ever she can reach.

yeah no its not that bad.. i just scratch lil bits of skin on my fingers and pull the skin back from under my nails

i try putting something greasy oily on my skin so i dont get to command my fingers to pick
put lip balm on yesterday it would cost me a fortune to use the amount id like to
i always think im not dependent on things

next part( hate my phone) so i dont have a panic attack.i have my mother in my head saying dont pick your lip
or pain from trying to make my lip exactly how i want it
but its shattering ,yet still i doggedly have insomnia

I had problems with cutting myself recently. It feels good to cut yourself, but you have to stop. My psychologist told me to practice something you like that you're good at and maybe do some exercise when you feel like cutting yourself. That helped me and I don't cut myself anymore.

images
Mesh squishy ball

images

images
usadaruma squishy

images

upload_2017-4-19_18-54-12.jpeg
Keychains

images
DIY bracelet

images
DIY necklaces and keychains with stim toys

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-19_18-58-41.jpeg
    upload_2017-4-19_18-58-41.jpeg
    2.6 KB · Views: 133
This one is so difficult. When am in a situation where I am trying to "pass"(I think that is the term for trying to pretend to appear as normal as possible) and I stop doing stims, I can feel myself becoming unnerved. You have a good idea about substituting. I used to flip a coin in my palm rapidly or even slowly--just from heads to tails. I also would twirl/move a coin between my fingers-back and forth(not exactly like a magician;). It seems like you need to replace your current stim with something that specifically keeps your fingers in the action. Oh another one I do all the time. I tap each finger to my thumb from my index finger to my little one-rapidly back and forth. Then I alternate between right and left fingers. Then I do it in different rhythms. You can get very complex and it will involve your fingers It can be virtually undetectable(although I'm not sure what NT people notice about me anymore). But the best advice I can think of is to experiment with lots of stuff. Something great may surprise you. Give it time. You know how long and hard it is for autism-spectrum people to change behaviors!!

separating my skin from under nails
Oh I do this most often! I also become obsessed with removing anything under them and damage them since there is a film under your nails that's supposed to be there that keeps them strong and healthy. If I don't have acrylics I straight eat my hands... =/

Scratch my legs and constantly mess with my dreads, I'm always tying and untying knots in them. I try to pinch myself discreetly instead so the stimming isn't quite so evident. Apparently stimming can be seen by nts body language and dishonesty and maliciousness... no good for sales. Stupid 'body language'

Sometimes I try clenching and unclenching different muscles but this is a bit more tiring and involved, so not too good if you're trying to focus on someone talking.

I have just ordered 3 items from ebay for under $20.. I got a fidget cube, a hand spinner and a squishy baby seal stress ball... Hope they help...and thanks for all your suggestions :) I want to collect them all now lol I had no idea all these cool lil gadgets were out there

Last edited:
After you experiment with them, I would love to hear your thoughts on each of them strengths/weaknesses etc. Maybe a 2nd featured follow-up post!

After you experiment with them, I would love to hear your thoughts on each of them strengths/weaknesses etc. Maybe a 2nd featured follow-up post!

Sure ill let know how i go, not sure how to make a 2nd featured follow up thread, but i can always post on here... my items should be here next week

If you want to keep your fingers busy, you could just wear a beaded stretch bracelet. Slip it off and pass over the beads one by one the way one would for saying a rosary. Get whatever size/texture you like best - you can do this under the table or even in a loose pocket.

Sure ill let know how i go, not sure how to make a 2nd featured follow up thread, but i can always post on here... my items should be here next week
you dont have to go back to the message you replied to touch reply again and leave your follow up message
i do this im a sort of technophobe

theres an advert on British tv an office walks to work with his mattress attached to the back of him and his quilt on the front its for a flu remedy i thought of it because i could permanently move about on my memory foam mattress and pillow
I have just ordered 3 items from ebay for under $20.. I got a fidget cube, a hand spinner and a squishy baby seal stress ball... Hope they help...and thanks for all your suggestions :) I want to collect them all now lol I had no idea all these cool lil gadgets were out there

New Threads

Top Bottom