• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ideas To Keep Me From Scratching Myself

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could help me with ideas for something small and cheap to invest in to keep my fingers busy.

Im constantly fiddling and fidgeting my fingers when im anxious (which is most the time), Eg, scraping and scratching my hands with my claws until it bleeds, separating my skin from under nails.

Your suggestions will be muchly appreciated, something i can take with me in public mostly. :)

You should get one of those stress balls. You can pretty much get them at any dollar store. I find they helped me way back in the day when my fidgeting/flapping was at it's worst at roughly around 9-10 years old. It's not so bad now, but I will admit, I still fidget and flap my hands occasionally when I get really excited about something, even at 22 years old. But you'll never catch me outside of my room doing it ;)

You should get one of those stress balls. You can pretty much get them at any dollar store. I find they helped me way back in the day when my fidgeting/flapping was at it's worst at roughly around 9-10 years old. It's not so bad now, but I will admit, I still fidget and flap my hands occasionally when I get really excited about something, even at 22 years old. But you'll never catch me outside of my room doing it ;)

Thanks Mr SpunkyAustin, i shall look into that :)

I always carry a worry stone for that same purpose. If I am feeling stressed, I just twirl it around in my fingers, or roll it in my palms, and it helps me tremendously. The beauty of a worry stone is they are laying around on the ground all over the place! If I lose one, I just go and find another. Try it out , maybe could be a little adventure for you to find one next to or in a river or something? Hope it helps!

I always carry a worry stone for that same purpose. If I am feeling stressed, I just twirl it around in my fingers, or roll it in my palms, and it helps me tremendously. The beauty of a worry stone is they are laying around on the ground all over the place! If I lose one, I just go and find another. Try it out , maybe could be a little adventure for you to find one next to or in a river or something? Hope it helps!

It is a great idea but id prob destroy my beautiful claws on a stone :/ I need something to sink my claws into...But thanks anyways :)

What drives you to stim?

One day while on a stressful phone call, I picked up some plastic toys and started building an object, that focus helped me absorb the stress without having the stress show up in my voice or demeaner while on the call.

Amazon.com: SHAWE Kids Toy, More than 90 Pieces Mighty Molecules Big Size,Interlocking Solid PE Plastic Building Sets,Educational Games,Sensory Fidget Toys,Safe Material for Kids,Package with Reusable Bag: Toys & Games

My bracelets I enjoy wearing while walking and driving.
Extra Wide Bike Chain Bracelet

I have an autism awareness ring I wore to a job interview.

I have a few of these laying around the house and I play with them while talking on the phone or watching movies.
Amazon.com : Rizzle Fidget - Adult Stress & Anxiety Toy for ADD/ADHD : Office Products

The more toys I have laying around and within reach, the simpler life becomes.

If it's sufficient to keep one hand busy, I actually happened upon something great for this purpose: the Isoflex stress ball. It's different from other stress balls in that instead of just being some squishy nerf-like material, its sort of like a pouch stuffed full of microbeads. That might not sound impressive, but in addition to keeping one hand busy it feels freaking amazing - I suspect it's an Aspie thing - you'll actually want to play with this thing and carry it around everywhere. It's also very much socially acceptable to carry one; people just think you're stressed.

I carry one when I have meetings or other some such where I'll be anxious and wanting to wring my hands and crack my knuckles nervously. It stops that, and the feeling of kneading it in my hand is actually very soothing (again, I'm thinking Aspie thing), so not only does it hide the "oh my God get me out of here" anxiety it actually alleviates it a bit, too.

$6 on Amazon. I never give out endorsements for products, but this one is worth my praise, and IMO worth a try at a measly $6.

Amazon.com: Isoflex for Stress Relief and Hand Exercise Marblized- - Assorted Colors: Health & Personal Care

What drives you to stim?

One day while on a stressful phone call, I picked up some plastic toys and started building an object, that focus helped me absorb the stress without having the stress show up in my voice or demeaner while on the call.

Amazon.com: SHAWE Kids Toy, More than 90 Pieces Mighty Molecules Big Size,Interlocking Solid PE Plastic Building Sets,Educational Games,Sensory Fidget Toys,Safe Material for Kids,Package with Reusable Bag: Toys & Games

My bracelets I enjoy wearing while walking and driving.
Extra Wide Bike Chain Bracelet

I have an autism awareness ring I wore to a job interview.

I have a few of these laying around the house and I play with them while talking on the phone or watching movies.
Amazon.com : Rizzle Fidget - Adult Stress & Anxiety Toy for ADD/ADHD : Office Products

The more toys I have laying around and within reach, the simpler life becomes.

I love that rizzle thingy...amazon doesnt sell to my country anymore though, but i shall see if i can find something similar... I also love that chain bracelet...thanks :)

If it's sufficient to keep one hand busy, I actually happened upon something great for this purpose: the Isoflex stress ball. It's different from other stress balls in that instead of just being some squishy nerf-like material, its sort of like a pouch stuffed full of microbeads. That might not sound impressive, but in addition to keeping one hand busy it feels freaking amazing - I suspect it's an Aspie thing - you'll actually want to play with this thing and carry it around everywhere. It's also very much socially acceptable to carry one; people just think you're stressed.

I carry one when I have meetings or other some such where I'll be anxious and wanting to wring my hands and crack my knuckles nervously. It stops that, and the feeling of kneading it in my hand is actually very soothing (again, I'm thinking Aspie thing), so not only does it hide the "oh my God get me out of here" anxiety it actually alleviates it a bit, too.

$6 on Amazon. I never give out endorsements for products, but this one is worth my praise, and IMO worth a try at a measly $6.

Amazon.com: Isoflex for Stress Relief and Hand Exercise Marblized- - Assorted Colors: Health & Personal Care

Ooooo thats interesting... would the material withstand my claws sinking in?

for the moment try just staring at whatever for a minute or so it stops you focusing inward i.would stare at the back of my hand
or the CBT technique start thinking why did i tell people im scratching till i bleed mine was you dont have to worry so much i took off the so much
i have panic disorder so i know about picking scratching

for the moment try just staring at whatever for a minute or so it stops you focusing inward i.would stare at the back of my hand
or the CBT technique start thinking why did i tell people im scratching till i bleed mine was you dont have to worry so much i took off the so much
i have panic disorder so i know about picking scratching

CBT never works for me, I have OCD that overpowers my thoughts...but thanks for the suggestion :)

Ooooo thats interesting... would the material withstand my claws sinking in?

I don't really claw mine, but I just test-clawed it for a while, and my fairly sharp nails just sink in like soft sand but with enough firmness to give the pushback that feels great at the base of the nail. mmmmmmmmmm...

Hard to say for sure if it'll hold up without extended stress testing but from the feel of the material if feels like it'll hold up fine.

My stress drives my stims and if I have to substitute or do it diferent, it is not worth it. I have to do it.

PS DBT and CBT did not really help me either. The drive is too strong and not doing it makes it way worse.

That said, can you drive your nails into clay? Or styrofoam? Or that green stuff to pot plants in? Hard clay may feel really good. DAng. I think I am going to get some.

Last edited:
My stress drives my stims and if I have to substitute or do it diferent, it is not worth it. I have to do it.

PS DBT and CBT did not really help me either. The drive is too strong and not doing it makes it way worse.

That said, can you drive your nails into clay? Or styrofoam? Or that green stuff to pot plants in? Hard clay may feel really good. DAng. I think I am going to get some.

oooo some sort of clay ball sounds nice...i cant stand touching styrofoam. You got me worried now lol...I hope a substitute other than my own skin will suffice.

New Threads

Top Bottom