• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I was applying for a job coach today

HDLSeanWiley

Follow Uncle Gadget, Brain!
and I didn't want my mom involved because of a troubled history i have with her. She let my ABA practitioner misuse ABA by punishing me for laying down on the carpeted floor in my room while listening to a story even though I wasn't trying to go to sleep. She always calls attention to my stimming, and lets my dad do that in an extreme way, which is not to allow it. She doesn't control my little brothers attitude which is getting worse and worse. Mom never really let me hang around autistic people, other than one who believes he's all cured now, and supported his wanting to cure himself. She says she doesn't mean to do these things, and she probably doesn't, but she still did them anyway

If she, an adult, can be so out of control that she does things repeatedly without "meaning to", she does not deserve your trust.

I am sorry that you have had to endure this kind of treatment. Unfortunately there are adults who feel that Autism must be 'cured' and that if only they are strict enough you will 'learn' the right way to behave.

I hope that you were successful with your job coach. Please don't give up on the idea of coaching. There are a lot of social cues and situations in a work environment that could cause you problems. A job coach is a wonderful idea.

Good Luck.

New Threads

Top Bottom