• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I want to have a bird as a therapy pet

UberScout

Please Don't Be Mad At Me 02/09/1996
V.I.P Member
Specifically, a parakeet, like a budgerigar, or a cockatiel.

I used to own a parakeet when I was younger, his name was Sparky, and as a prank my dad taught him to cuss at people, but that's not why I want a bird.

Sparky only lived for a month because my mother didnt know that birds have to drink bottled water from the pet store, not tap water. I didnt take his death very well.

I never got the chance to prove myself with Sparky and I hope to redeem myself with a "successor" to him. I read that birds are beginner level pets for owners, and relatively easy to take care of. I would get another 'keet, but i've seen from the internet they're smaller and more hyper, and that might get one stuck in the corner somewhere. Cockatiels aren't as hyper, they still let people know they're there, but they dont do things as crazily as parakeets.

Here's what I know about bird keeping:

Advantages

1. Beginner level pets
2. Cockatiels live for about 15 years or more
3. They are intelligent enough to learn commands and can mimic sounds
4. They are easy to feed and if you can't afford seed you can feed them some types of fruit and vegetables as well as treats like honey sticks

Disadvantages

1. They hate mirrors as they think their reflection could be another bird
2. Many video descriptions say they are like little toddlers and need to be trained to be quiet, draping a towel over their cage makes them think its night time.
3. If they get sick, you have to be quick about getting them treated and can't take chances because they are small and more vulnerable, and if left sick for too long, it's over for them.

Hopefully Maddog and my mother let's me test my responsibility with this and hopefully its therapeutic somehow.

I know a guy who used to have a Parrot called Jake.

He taught it to swear, and it used to swear at his Mum lol.

4f6ac5e4_Fat-Chocobo.jpg

You can't buy 1 bird. You need at least 2, in the case of parakeets probably 4 or 6 (half male half female). It's better to adopt a pair rather than buy a bunch in the pet store.

Either way I think it's a bad choice of pets. These birds easily live up to like 20-30 years if you take good care of them. That's pretty much a bigger responsibility than a kid, since a kid can take care of himself at 18.

They also require a diet similar to a kid. They need a mix of fresh fruit, vegetables and seeds while keeping an eye on protein levels, vitamin A levels and such. You don't just feed them bird kibble and be done with it.

Dogs are a zillion times easier to care for. No cleaning a cage, fresh frozen meat products or dried flake food are pretty much in every store and are much cheaper. Finding a vet skilled with a dog or cat is also easier, whereas most vets have bare bone knowledge when it comes to birds.

Don't kill another bird within 1 month when it should be living for 20-30 years. These birds are pets for adults with a lot of time, money and the willingness to learn anything and everything pertaining to the birds' needs.

Last edited:
"These birds are pets for adults with a lot of time, money and
the willingness to learn anything and everything pertaining to the birds' needs."

I agree with that statement.
A bird such as a cockatiel is a big responsibility.

How to Buy a Pet Cockatiel

The idea that parakeets have to have special water bought from the pet store is nothing but a scam. I kept keets for years, and their water came straight from the tap. If you aren't sure about the quality of your water, filter it. Filters and their pitchers are fairly cheap.

Also, they need seeds as part of their diet. If you can't afford them, you can't afford to keep a bird. And you certainly don't need to have two of them.

I have no idea what kind of therapy you think you're going to get from birds, but they're probably the least likely pet to be effective for that service.

My uncle tried to teach their parrot to say "here kitty kitty."
We had a cockatiel and I loved that bird (it was my daughters). I'd be on the computer while it sat on my shoulder so I'd pull up bird calls and he seemed to enjoy that. But he would also pick any stones out of earrings I was wearing and I wouldn't even notice it (and I'm sensitive to touch, so he was pretty good lol). Birds do tend to live a long time, sometimes longer than their humans - so, at 22, that's not a problem. I have a friend that always had birds, but once she turned 50 they wouldn't let her buy the large parrots any more because of her age.
The thing I didn't like about having birds is they can be messy (seeds and feathers everywhere) and cleaning the cage.
As far as easy pets - smaller fish aquariums and cats are probably the easiest - still have to clean, but don't require as much attention as dogs. And cats and fish, you can actually leave them for a couple days with enough food and water and they're fine. I don't know about leaving birds. But with dogs, you have to get a babysitter.
Anyway, we all have our own preferences, Keep me posted on if you get a bird - you'll have to take a picture and post it.

Oh, and I think there are certain birds that need bottled water, but it doesn't have to be from a pet store.

Think about getting a cat. They are easy to take care of but they do need annual vaccinations and check-ups. If you keep it indoors (which is recommended by vets), it is much less likely to get injured in fights or hit by cars and it won't kill the wild birds but you will have to maintain a litter box. They can live to at least age 20 so it could be a long term commitment.

"These birds are pets for adults with a lot of time, money and
the willingness to learn anything and everything pertaining to the birds' needs."

I agree with that statement.
A bird such as a cockatiel is a big responsibility.

How to Buy a Pet Cockatiel

Cockatiels need a LOT of looking after though, also, if you have one and live on the second floor or above, keep your windows closed!

I remember an episode of Kenan and Kel where Kenan was looking after his Dad's bird, and Kel let it fly out the window.

It came back eventually, but right after Kenan spent $95 on a replacement bird so he wouldn't get in trouble with his Dad.

I don't see cockatiels or parakeets as 'beginner level', honestly, not like mice or hamsters which are quite a bit easier to take care of. We used to have a cockatiel and a parakeet that got lost around the neighbourhood and got into our house through a window, probably getting away from a predator, so I got to take care of them for w few years. They were both sweet little things, especially the parakeet, but the cockatiel was also simply demanding. It was a darling when playing with but if you didn't spend enough time with it every day, it would start making these offended schreeching noises. It was simply a loud little brat, heh, that cockatiel.

What I mean is:
1. Be ready to take responsibility and spend great chunks of time every day on taking care of them and yes, them, because a lonely bird is a sad bird(kind of like with rats or mice, or hamsters but on a different level). Our guys were highly sociable and even in two and with us around they could grow lonely enough that we decided to let them go to a bigger family.
2. Be ready to accept a new loud source of noise in your household. Some people can't stand the noises they make, especially if they make them every hour of a day. Birds, overall, are the more noisy of pet animals.
3. Be ready to pay. They can be quite expensive to take care of, what with the vet, good quality food and water, toys, mirrors etc. Btw, dunno where you read the thing about the mirror but our cockatiel simply loved them.
4. Read on them. Before taking the responsibility of having a pet, make sure you know what you're getting into.
5. Allergies. Make sure people in your household or you don't have an allergy.

Honestly, I'm not sure if a bird would be good for a therapeutic pet, especially a cockatiel... They are kinda like kids and can be really overhelming/annoying at times. But to each their own, I suppose.

If you're sure you know everything you are able to and you still want the pet - take care, have fun and love it!

Last edited:
long-haired-guinea-pig-4.jpg

perfect. I'd love to have another one of these little guys. The hardest thing about them is losing them amongst stuffed animals. lol I had a guinea pig that if I set him on a washrag he would not get off the washrag.

If you're looking for a domesticated Pet that doesn't take much looking after, try a Hamster or a Guinea Pig.

I'd do my research if I were you. If you still feel confident you can look after a bird as a pet then go ahead and get 1.

While I messed up before, I am familiar with owning a bird, and I learn from mistakes. Things like major purchases (we buy games like hotcakes), noise management (I could just put a towel over a birds cage and he won't make any noise) are second nature to me and my family. I'm not saying any of you are wrong but once I'm determined to do something I do it.

Dude I'm 33 and drowning in money. I would like a pet Cockatiel but I know it's a bad idea to drag a highly intelligent bird into my life that I'm stuck with until I'm 60+. You are a child living with your parents, and your parents clearly have no clue how to take care of such a bird. If anything happens, the bird ends up the victim because there is no backup plan.

If you learned from your mistakes then 1 dead bird would be enough. The idea of just putting a towel over the birds cage to keep it quiet already sounds like you are on the path to animal abuse. Would you lock a child in a dark room for making "too much noise"? 1 bird is 2 full time jobs, 2 birds are 1 full time job. The most mature thing to do would be to realize that and wait until you are actually capable of having your life revolve around a bird.

I'm curious as to how you think a bird would function as a therapy animal. They don't strike me as being even remotely therapeutic, and I am doubtful as to whether you would be able to train one to function as such.

While I messed up before, I am familiar with owning a bird, and I learn from mistakes. Things like major purchases (we buy games like hotcakes), noise management (I could just put a towel over a birds cage and he won't make any noise) are second nature to me and my family. I'm not saying any of you are wrong but once I'm determined to do something I do it.
Please do not let an innocent animal be the victim of your stubbornness.

New Threads

Top Bottom