• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I wanna party like I am 15 again.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
I am talking about frozen pizza, Mountain Dew, anime and video games with fellow fanboys until 4 in the morning when we all pass out around the same time.

That used to be a regular weekend occurrence for me. Now I am 44 and my body can't handle that any more.

Granted, I do not want to be 15 again literally - living with abusive parents really sucked at that time for me.

I just want the energy I had when I was 15 and apply it to my daily life today, with the knowledge that I have today. My youth was wasted on my being a child instead of being smart and figuring out how to wriggle my way out of the situations I found myself in back then.

At fifteen I was hitchhiking, hanging out by myself in graveyards, exploring abandoned buildings, mountain climbing, and mountain biking, learning how to push myself uphill and jump puddles.

Fifteen year olds are fearless. Maybe take up something that seems dangerous to you, but you think that if it doesn't kill you, it'll make you stronger. Stand up paddle boarding? Rafting?

And be glad you're not fifteen again. Fifteen year olds are miserable.

I wish I still had the same energy I did as a teenager as well.
I can’t party and dance all night like I could when I was in college. I can’t even really drink anymore.

I’m still very active physically, but my medical issues and some injuries have aged my body a lot and I don’t have as much stamina or physical energy as most people my age. I do often suffer from fatigue.

But I totally relate to the sentiment of wanting to feel like your younger self again. I’m quickly approaching 30 and I sometimes wish I was still 18.

I am talking about frozen pizza, Mountain Dew, anime and video games with fellow fanboys until 4 in the morning when we all pass out around the same time.

That used to be a regular weekend occurrence for me. Now I am 44 and my body can't handle that any more.

Granted, I do not want to be 15 again literally - living with abusive parents really sucked at that time for me.

I just want the energy I had when I was 15 and apply it to my daily life today, with the knowledge that I have today. My youth was wasted on my being a child instead of being smart and figuring out how to wriggle my way out of the situations I found myself in back then.
Sounds like a good time!

You can get away with half of that. Maybe limit the intake of pizza and soda...but anime and video games is totally fine!!

I definitely know what it's like to not have energy like a teenager. But getting older isn't so bad either. Like you said about being a bit smarter now. Try to remember what gave you those moments of energy in your youth and try to recreate them. Maybe you'll have a good time like you did back then.

Nice to meet you metalhead!

Keep in mind you've been making some changes and getting off of some unhealthy habits. Not to mention that just because you've hit X age doesnt automatically guarantee that you'll cap off at some specific energy level. It's going to vary a lot from person to person, and just because you feel a given way NOW doesnt necessarily mean you cant improve.

I'm 41 and I hold still about as well as the Energizer Bunny. If anything, I have TOO MUCH energy. Even when considering things like hiking and whatnot (during the season when that's, you know, viable) or my nonsensical 25/26 hour sleep cycle.

But, there are factors here. Hydration for instance is a huge one. If I allow myself to get dehydrated, I'll start to feel progressively more and more messed up until various problems set in. If I hydrate properly and actually keep doing that, I'll be in a good state for the doing of stuff.

Another big thing I've found though is activity VS lethargy. It's so, so easy to get stuck in a passive activity (just watching stuff) VS an active activity (anything that really gets the neurons firing in some way). If I sit and do that... just stare at a screen all day... THEN I'll eventually start dozing off. Why? Because nothing is freaking happening! Fortunately this only really occurs when I'm having too much pain (I just cant DO much when that's happening), but exercise + therapy + water has made that a million times better. That happens only very rarely now.

That's part of why I always suggest getting some additional hobbies. Active ones. So that you have multiple to choose from. I cant even describe how much of a difference that made in my life, once I actually went and did it. And I dont just mean "active" as in "sprint around a track". Something like, I dunno, making model cars or whatever, that's an active activity. Or writing, even gaming. In my case, I added board games to the mix, and cubes, and took up art (slowly, on that last one, I aint very good yet).

I'd also suggest a change of scenery (like exploring places you've not been to before).

ANYTHING to really, genuinely engage your mind in a way that isnt just watching something.

Here's an idea, which might be a bit much but I'm gonna say it anyway: You're into movies, right? All that sort of thing? Ever thought of trying to create something yourself? The tools and the means are out there now, and it gets progressively more and more accessible. Just like with game development (which even I can do on my own). Just a thought I had.

Remember though, that even if you were to consider all of that, you are still coming off of the alcohol thing, and working on other habits. Nobody gets through that easily. But if you keep going and break through, you might find you feel better than you expected. For right now though, take it slow, try new things, and stay positive.

Keep in mind you've been making some changes and getting off of some unhealthy habits. Not to mention that just because you've hit X age doesnt automatically guarantee that you'll cap off at some specific energy level. It's going to vary a lot from person to person, and just because you feel a given way NOW doesnt necessarily mean you cant improve.

I'm 41 and I hold still about as well as the Energizer Bunny. If anything, I have TOO MUCH energy. Even when considering things like hiking and whatnot (during the season when that's, you know, viable) or my nonsensical 25/26 hour sleep cycle.

But, there are factors here. Hydration for instance is a huge one. If I allow myself to get dehydrated, I'll start to feel progressively more and more messed up until various problems set in. If I hydrate properly and actually keep doing that, I'll be in a good state for the doing of stuff.

Another big thing I've found though is activity VS lethargy. It's so, so easy to get stuck in a passive activity (just watching stuff) VS an active activity (anything that really gets the neurons firing in some way). If I sit and do that... just stare at a screen all day... THEN I'll eventually start dozing off. Why? Because nothing is freaking happening! Fortunately this only really occurs when I'm having too much pain (I just cant DO much when that's happening), but exercise + therapy + water has made that a million times better. That happens only very rarely now.

That's part of why I always suggest getting some additional hobbies. Active ones. So that you have multiple to choose from. I cant even describe how much of a difference that made in my life, once I actually went and did it. And I dont just mean "active" as in "sprint around a track". Something like, I dunno, making model cars or whatever, that's an active activity. Or writing, even gaming. In my case, I added board games to the mix, and cubes, and took up art (slowly, on that last one, I aint very good yet).

I'd also suggest a change of scenery (like exploring places you've not been to before).

ANYTHING to really, genuinely engage your mind in a way that isnt just watching something.

Here's an idea, which might be a bit much but I'm gonna say it anyway: You're into movies, right? All that sort of thing? Ever thought of trying to create something yourself? The tools and the means are out there now, and it gets progressively more and more accessible. Just like with game development (which even I can do on my own). Just a thought I had.

Remember though, that even if you were to consider all of that, you are still coming off of the alcohol thing, and working on other habits. Nobody gets through that easily. But if you keep going and break through, you might find you feel better than you expected. For right now though, take it slow, try new things, and stay positive.
I have not thought of making any movies. I doubt Hollywood would want to find my big budget 3-D IMAX modernized remake of Andy Warhol’s Empire.

I have started to go to a couple of movie going meetups locally, though. I budgeted for the Uber rides, I made it happen.

And the Internet just went down at my house and many of the surrounding houses as well. Guess I will have to go to the gym and burn off my lunch.

I miss being a teenager also at times. I was able to have so much energy, would stay up until 4am gaming or reading without feeling tired after. I was even able to write essays in the night. Now, if I get passed 10pm, I am extremely tired.

I liked life in my 20's.
It was the most fun and energetic decade of my life.
Wait until you are in your 60's. Then you will REALLY want that energy and abilities back. Especially if you develop health problems that get in the way of being active.

I still stay up all night and sleep a lot through the day. That's just my circadian cycle. :sleeping:zzz

I've been pretty contented with my energy for most of my decades, although it is slowing down on some days. I mainly need to manage it well. (-:

Do I miss the scary level of endurance I had as a teenager? Not really. I like what I traded it for in terms of intellect and other interests. I like being an adult, who still knows how to be goofy and enjoys whimsy.

Do I miss the scary level of endurance I had as a teenager? Not really. I like what I traded it for in terms of intellect and other interests. I like being an adult, who still knows how to be goofy and enjoys whimsy.
I want the energy of a teenager with the wisdom I have today. The only way I would want that energy again is if I was able to keep the hard earned wisdom I have now along with it. Maybe I could write an isekai series about this, seeing as most isekai is little more than fluffy wish fulfilment fiction anyway.

New Threads

Top Bottom