• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"I understand you're autistic... [3 minutes later] ... now why are you ___."

I had mixed feelings about that movie. I enjoyed it, but at the same time I thought that in 'Adam' it was as if they were trying to squeeze an example of every AS characteristic into one character in the short amount of time allotted by the movie, and in doing so, the whole thing ended up less realistic..

That's one reason why I liked "Mozart and the Whale". They seemed to do a good job of showing just how varied ASD can be amongst a group of people, with even the two stars of the film sometimes at odds with each other over their own respective traits and behaviors.

I don't find it to be ignorance of autism so much as lack of empathy, ironically enough. Mundane example, Facebook. "Yeah, I'm scared too of having my information stored, tracked, shared, and sold off, for all I know they're even starting to park a truck outside and watch me directly! So why haven't you accepted my friend request yet?" Just because one person ignores their dislike or overcomes it doesn't mean everybody does, but they don't always understand that. But, when it's one of their problems, they don't see it as ever a possibility of them being able to do. Other mundane example, "Me: I used to be scared of spiders too, but I have no problem catching them and putting them outside. Them: A SPIDER! AAAAUGH! GET IT AWAY!"

Every time I try to explain a behaviour to someone who’s NT they counter with “Oh, I’m like that sometimes too.”

I hate that response. While I understand they are usually trying to be "understanding" by expressing that they share some common ground with us, the point I was trying to convey to them is that I am different. They don't mean to argue the point, but in effect they are nonetheless. Frustrating. If they do have a lot in common with me, then they should go get evaluated.

New Threads

Top Bottom