• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I need help.

I wonder if the questions they might ask you are directly tied to citizenship test questions?

See the link: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Office of Citizenship/Citizenship Resource Center Site/Publications/100q.pdf
He has the questions on the packet, but thanks! And really, I couldn't care less about the test. It's the 5 social encounters with people I don't know for 10 minutes each I hate.

Another thing is that you may not think your classmates are thinking it's a big deal, but if I was in your class I would be. I don't think you're overreacting at all, but I don't know if it's because of possibly being Aspie or just normal anxiety over a situation that no one would look forward to.
Yes, but in high stakes situations I can be social. It's things that are for a stupid letter grade that make me very anxious that I hate and am scared to do. I'm not even enjoying life at all right now and I won't until I find an alternate solution. Even if I DID get through it, I'll still be in shock and anxious from it and the memories of me talking to them will never leave. It's weird, but if it was for a job or something more serious, it wouldn't bother me as much. I just hate how much younger I am and how much more authority they have over me. I just want to have more freedom and choose what I want to do in this case, not all cases. It's soo much work for a dumb class. I have too any things on my mind right now, especially just random things Aspies think about, to even think about this highly social project.

I wonder if the questions they might ask you are directly tied to citizenship test questions?

See the link: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Office of Citizenship/Citizenship Resource Center Site/Publications/100q.pdf
He has the questions on the packet, but thanks! And really, I couldn't care less about the test. It's the 5 social encounters with people I don't know for 10 minutes each I hate.

Another thing is that you may not think your classmates are thinking it's a big deal, but if I was in your class I would be. I don't think you're overreacting at all, but I don't know if it's because of possibly being Aspie or just normal anxiety over a situation that no one would look forward to.
Yes, but in high stakes situations I can be social. It's things that are for a stupid letter grade that make me very anxious that I hate and am scared to do. I'm not even enjoying life at all right now and I won't until I find an alternate solution. Even if I DID get through it, I'll still be in shock and anxious from it and the memories of me talking to them will never leave. It's weird, but if it was for a job or something more serious, it wouldn't bother me as much. I just hate how much younger I am and how much more authority they have over me. I just want to have more freedom and choose what I want to do in this case, not all cases. It's soo much work for a dumb class. I have too any things on my mind right now, especially just random things Aspies think about, to even think about this highly social project.

Yes, but in high stakes situations I can be social. It's things that are for a stupid letter grade that make me very anxious that I hate and am scared to do. I'm not even enjoying life at all right now and I won't until I find an alternate solution. Even if I DID get through it, I'll still be in shock and anxious from it and the memories of me talking to them will never leave. It's weird, but if it was for a job or something more serious, it wouldn't bother me as much. I just hate how much younger I am and how much more authority they have over me. I just want to have more freedom and choose what I want to do in this case, not all cases. It's soo much work for a dumb class. I have too many things on my mind right now, especially just random things Aspies think about, to even think about this highly social project.

I also had terrible social phobias, still do to some extent, so no, you're not alone in this. yes, it's an aspie thing.

when you sing or talk, just pretend you're talking to yourself, that there's no one in the room with you. I was real nervous about working in a fast food restaurant and dealing with customers, when before that I was afraid to walk into a restaurant and order a hamburger. so I just pretended they were robots, or creatures of my imagination.

hopes this helps...
Thanks, that does help. I just hope I can get an alternative altogether. :(

I think we all get your social anxiety, but I'm baffled by how they have set this up. Sounds like a waste of time for school administrators not directly associated with your school's history department. So we are to assume you have all the answers to possible questions ?

Hopefully you have those lyrics down as well...

I have to conclude what I already posted. That something else is going on here...IMO. :confused:

I understand what you're saying about having to do the class in the first place because it has to be done, but in life you won't be able to pick all of your situations and make them the way you want. I'm not understanding what makes this class different than if it were a job where a boss would have the authority. What makes this class different that you want to have more control over the situation? Is it because of the social stuff? I know another Aspie friend I have had a problem with speech class and was never able to get his degree because of it. So if it is bothering you that much, I would probably approach the teacher for another assignment. If you haven't received a diagnosis that you can show the teacher, maybe a letter written by your parents explaining the situation would help.

I think we all get your social anxiety, but I'm baffled by how they have set this up. Sounds like a waste of time for school administrators not directly associated with your school's history department. So we are to assume you have all the answers to possible questions ?

Hopefully you have those lyrics down as well...

I have to conclude what I already posted. That something else is going on here...IMO. :confused:
Haha, yeah. It's all just a bunch of busy work that I won't benefit from. :p

I understand what you're saying about having to do the class in the first place because it has to be done, but in life you won't be able to pick all of your situations and make them the way you want. I'm not understanding what makes this class different than if it were a job where a boss would have the authority. What makes this class different that you want to have more control over the situation? Is it because of the social stuff? I know another Aspie friend I have had a problem with speech class and was never able to get his degree because of it. So if it is bothering you that much, I would probably approach the teacher for another assignment. If you haven't received a diagnosis that you can show the teacher, maybe a letter written by your parents explaining the situation would help.
True, thanks. The thing is, in a job, it's all for work and money and it's all necessary. In school, it's just a bunch of busy work, and in this case, this one is busy work AND it makes me anxious. Plus, I already started my job which is independent, and I'm working for my brother who is also doing something independtly. I would like to not get a social job for my Aspie brain. And a letter is a good idea.

Haha, yeah. It's all just a bunch of busy work that I won't benefit from. :p

True, thanks. The thing is, in a job, it's all for work and money and it's all necessary. In school, it's just a bunch of busy work, and in this case, this one is busy work AND it makes me anxious. Plus, I already started my job which is independent, and I'm working for my brother who is also doing something independtly. I would like to not get a social job for my Aspie brain. And a letter is a good idea.

Do you have plans for college?

Probably. It might just be community college and it's going to be very lowkey. At least there, I'll be doing things that involve what I want to do for a living. Not some dumb history assignment.

In any community college, you had better take a very close look at their General Education Core Requirements assuming you're looking for some kind of degree. I have a feeling you're not going to be a happy camper. Not everything is an elective...

In any community college, you had better take a very close look at their General Education Core Requirements. I have a feeling you're not going to be a happy camper.
I'm sure I won't, but I need to build up to college slowly, and this project is WAY too fast for me. I'll be taking a humongous step just by talking to my teacher about an alternative assignment.

In any community college, you had better take a very close look at their General Education Core Requirements assuming you're looking for some kind of degree. I have a feeling you're not going to be a happy camper.
Also, I have nine classes to think about.

Probably. It might just be community college and it's going to be very lowkey. At least there, I'll be doing things that involve what I want to do for a living. Not some dumb history assignment.

I thought that too. I went to a community college for my nursing degree and I've been a nurse now for 12 years. Now I'm having to go back to college because all the hospitals are wanting Bachelors degrees. None of the classes I'm taking are going to help me (College algebra, Statistics, etc.) except for getting me into more debt. Oh, I forgot. I have one more class that is sure to help me with the patients - "Non Western Civilization". Knowing that will definitely help save a person's life. :p Most of the classes in college are totally unnecessary I believe. Trade schools are more geared for a real job, but it seems for any job these days one needs a bachelor's degree at least. My Aspie friend is having to get a Master's for the job he wants. There's just too much competition out there these days for good jobs.

Have you looked online at the community college you're pondering as to what their required classes involve? I see stuff now that I never had to deal with...

That reminds me - Community Colleges have a lot of online classes you could do.

Good point...possibly one way to circumvent social anxiety issues in general. But all these "communications" classes...do you recall taking them as requirements? Geez..I had bonehead English and that's about all in that category. Clearly a lot has changed...lol. Duh.

I was thinking about doing it online.

You have my curiosity. What's the school? The CC's that I'm looking at online have some pretty rigid freshman requirements...

Portland Community College. I'm even getting my math requirements done right now in high school. I might even do Portland State University...

New Threads

Top Bottom