• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I need help.

Just think of evasion as an option, but always your last option if possible.

And come to terms that sometimes life is going to put you on the spot and there will be nothing you can except to comply. And hopefully not very often. It sucks, but it is what it is at times. That's life...

Read on in other threads and you'll learn how many of us are struggling in different ways. Sometimes we have solutions, and other times all we can do is to get through and endure difficult circumstances.

One thing for sure though, you'll quickly discover that you aren't alone.

Just think of evasion as an option, but always your last option if possible.

And come to terms that sometimes life is going to put you on the spot and there will be nothing you can except to comply. And hopefully not very often. It sucks, but it is what it is at times. That's life...

Read on in other threads and you'll learn how many of us are struggling in different ways. Sometimes we have solutions, and other times all we can do is to get through and endure difficult circumstances.

One thing for sure though, you'll quickly discover that you aren't alone.
That's the best part. That's why I decided to come here in the first place. I finally feel like I'm not alone when I read about other people with these problems.

Idk if somebody already asked this, but how okay are the teachers you have to interview on this? They have enough to do in a day without having a class full of history kids asking to interview them. Did your teacher okay the assignment idea with them first? If you have a lot of time in which to do the assignment, and have their emails, I would email the teachers and set up a time and date to do the interview. That way they know when to expect you and you don't have to feel like you are interrupting them in their primary role as a teacher. Plus I find things easier to prepare for when its set up in advance.

Idk if somebody already asked this, but how okay are the teachers you have to interview on this? They have enough to do in a day without having a class full of history kids asking to interview them. Did your teacher okay the assignment idea with them first? If you have a lot of time in which to do the assignment, and have their emails, I would email the teachers and set up a time and date to do the interview. That way they know when to expect you and you don't have to feel like you are interrupting them in their primary role as a teacher. Plus I find things easier to prepare for when its set up in advance.
I suppose I could try that. I just don't even want them to interview me, because it is a verbal test and I don't want to mess up. If it was all on paper I could do it.

Oh, also, they're interviewing ME. If I was interviewing them that would be a lot easier. It's sort of like a test, including singing to the principal and I think I may have a heart attack. o_O

One thing, Juliet. I've had time to go back to your original post and ask a simple question.

Was it made crystal-clear what your instructor was looking for in such a bizarre assignment? Or is the actual lesson to be taught later after the experience?

Just imagine if you were to stress out so much, only to find that there was no real correct answer or even a letter-grade intended from the assignment. That they just wanted to see how you reacted. Hmmmm....

One thing, Juliet. I've had time to go back to your original post and ask a simple question.

Was it made crystal-clear what your instructor was looking for in such a bizarre assignment? Or is the actual lesson to be taught later after the experience?

Just imagine if you were to stress out so much, only to find that there was no real correct answer or even a letter-grade intended from the assignment. That they just wanted to see how you reacted. Hmmmm....

Oh that's an interesting point. He hasn't taught us anything, but he gave us a packet about things the interviewer might ask us. There is definitely a letter grade.

Oh that's an interesting point. He hasn't taught us anything, but he gave us a packet about things the interviewer might ask us. There is definitely a letter grade.

I just wonder if y'all are being bamboozled in an effort to learn a lesson in a way that might not otherwise be learned. I'm just suspicious that there's more to this assignment than is being conveyed to you at the moment...

I just wonder if y'all are being bamboozled in an effort to learn a lesson in a way that might not otherwise be learned. I'm just suspicious that there's more to this assignment than is being conveyed to you at the moment...
And maybe by talking to him about not wanting to do it I'll get the correct answer? Haha.

And maybe by talking to him about not wanting to do it I'll get the correct answer? Haha.

Maybe. Maybe not. But it would be amusing as hell to me if you busted him on it..LOL.

That in fact the exercise had some sort of deliberate deception involved.:p

What in the heck has school come to? What is a person going to learn from singing to the principal? Can you get another person from class and have a duo? Or maybe a small group choir possibly? It wouldn't work with me because I can't sing. I would probably make it into something funny like semi-singing a funny poem I wrote that rhymes. Funny stuff always works well with NT people.

The other interview stuff, I would just go up to the teachers and say "I am doing this history assignment where I have to ask some teachers, such as yourself, to interview me about immigration. Are you aware of this assignment? Could you interview me now or would another time be better for you?" I would say the teachers must be aware that the students have to do this assignment or how would they know what interview questions to ask? And by giving them the choice of interviewing you now or later makes it sound like you aren't TRYING to inconvenience them. My Aspie friend had a good idea about using a voice recorder. That might help you so you are not flustered having to write down everything during these interviews, but you should ask them if you can record the conversation.

What in the heck has school come to? What is a person going to learn from singing to the principal? Can you get another person from class and have a duo? Or maybe a small group choir possibly? It wouldn't work with me because I can't sing. I would probably make it into something funny like semi-singing a funny poem I wrote that rhymes. Funny stuff always works well with NT people.

The other interview stuff, I would just go up to the teachers and say "I am doing this history assignment where I have to ask some teachers, such as yourself, to interview me about immigration. Are you aware of this assignment? Could you interview me now or would another time be better for you?" I would say the teachers must be aware that the students have to do this assignment or how would they know what interview questions to ask? And by giving them the choice of interviewing you now or later makes it sound like you aren't TRYING to inconvenience them. My Aspie friend had a good idea about using a voice recorder. That might help you so you are not flustered having to write down everything during these interviews, but you should ask them if you can record the conversation.
Well, it's not that I'm writing anything down. It's a verbal test. That's what scares me. And I HAVE to sing either Star Spangled Banner or America the Beautiful and if I mess them up, then I have to try it again the next today. I wish I could do it weirdly, haha.

Well, it's not that I'm writing anything down. It's a verbal test. That's what scares me. And I HAVE to sing either Star Spangled Banner or America the Beautiful and if I mess them up, then I have to try it again the next today. I wish I could do it weirdly, haha.

I think I understand now why they are doing the singing. I know lately, a lot of the celebrities that sing the "Star Spangled Banner" are not knowing the words even after rehearsing - that's bad. I would look it up and write whatever song you choose first so you don't go memorizing something that isn't right.

And if the other is a verbal test, it sure sounds to me like the teachers are expecting you to ask them. Maybe talking to another student that has went through it already can tell you what kind of questions to expect. Ewe. I don't like that myself. I would know as much about how the legal immigration stuff works - that maybe why it's surrounding immigration because of all the illegal immigration stuff in the news lately. That's about all you can do is study immigration rules, etc. and then have someone like your Ma ask you questions about it. Don't go in cold turkey. You don't want to have to say "I don't know" to a question.

I think I understand now why they are doing the singing. I know lately, a lot of the celebrities that sing the "Star Spangled Banner" are not knowing the words even after rehearsing - that's bad. I would look it up and write whatever song you choose first so you don't go memorizing something that isn't right.

And if the other is a verbal test, it sure sounds to me like the teachers are expecting you to ask them. Maybe talking to another student that has went through it already can tell you what kind of questions to expect. Ewe. I don't like that myself. I would know as much about how the legal immigration stuff works - that maybe why it's surrounding immigration because of all the illegal immigration stuff in the news lately. That's about all you can do is study immigration rules, etc. and then have someone like your Ma ask you questions about it. Don't go in cold turkey. You don't want to have to say "I don't know" to a question.
Those are all good ideas, but I'm still completely terrified of even meeting these people face to face. I don't care what they ask. I just don't want to look or hear or interact wth them. I just don't know if asking for an alternative is crazy or if I'm overreacting or not. I'm just way too terrified and all I want is work to do at home, even if it's harder. Is that crazy of me? No one else in my class is making a big deal of it and I'm over here crying...

Those are all good ideas, but I'm still completely terrified of even meeting these people face to face. I don't care what they ask. I just don't want to look or hear or interact wth them. I just don't know if asking for an alternative is crazy or if I'm overreacting or not. I'm just way too terrified and all I want is work to do at home, even if it's harder. Is that crazy of me? No one else in my class is making a big deal of it and I'm over here crying...

No it's not crazy. I'd be scared too, kinda like what I'm going to have to endure with this courtcase I'm involved in. I doubt your classmates are Aspie either. You might want to go ahead and do it instead of trying to get another assignment cause it would help you to not be as scared possibly when things like this come up in college or a future job. I hate to say to take medicine, but I'm needing anxiety medicine myself right now with what is happening to me. Maybe your primary can give you something to get you through this, but then it would be stopped afterwards. Anxiety medicine does help in these types of situations for a short term - I'd be a wreck without it right now.

What your parents think you should do is also important. If they think that getting a diagnosis so you can get another assignment would help you, then I would look into that since they know you better than I do. I think it is best to have a diagnosis anyway so you know if you're Aspie or not.

Another thing is that you may not think your classmates are thinking it's a big deal, but if I was in your class I would be. I don't think you're overreacting at all, but I don't know if it's because of possibly being Aspie or just normal anxiety over a situation that no one would look forward to.

Glad I'm not alone in this! I just don't think I can handle it. I really don't want to push myself through it. And other people in class are like "Oh it's fine. Just do it." and I feel like that one awkward kid who refuses to do work. Your assignment sounded pretty terrible, too!

I also had terrible social phobias, still do to some extent, so no, you're not alone in this. yes, it's an aspie thing.

when you sing or talk, just pretend you're talking to yourself, that there's no one in the room with you. I was real nervous about working in a fast food restaurant and dealing with customers, when before that I was afraid to walk into a restaurant and order a hamburger. so I just pretended they were robots, or creatures of my imagination.

hopes this helps...

New Threads

Top Bottom