• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I messed up my A level exams *rant*

PanPaniscus

Former Moderator
V.I.P Member
Today I have done 3 of my 4 first year exams. 2 religious studies (religious ethics and philosophy of religion) and 1 psychology (psychological investigations). My first one this morning was religious ethics and we had 1 hour 30 to choose 2 questions.
I didn't realise it was 2 questions because I didn't read it fully and thought "oh look a question I like!!!" and wrote about 3 pages on the differences between absolute and relative morality, then another page on part B where I had to give for and against arguments to some statement. So I was writing all this stuff then I had about 15 minutes left and I just sat there thinking I'd finished but after that I saw on the paper "answer two questions" so in the last 10 minutes I could just about write 2 paragraphs briefly explaining just war and pacifism.
I was really angry and was actually holding back tears because I'd messed it all up. And my first answer was worth a high C grade so if I actually did the second question I could have got high C/B, but now I've probably failed it or got an E which is just scraping through. On my philosophy of religion paper I remembered this time and answered 2 questions and I was lucky they were relevent to my out of college interests so I could write some quality stuff which I HOPE will make up for that shambles of a first paper.

I haven't told my mum though and just lied and said it all went well, I can't tell her and I don't know if I can resit without saying anything or what. I'm really worried that I'll have to take the whole year again because I really don't want to do that, I want to move on to the second year work but how can I when I only did 1 and a bit questions on the first religious studies paper.

:( I'm so angry at my self and I just want to give up on education altogether and work in Macdonald's all my life or something.

don't worry school results mean nothing nowadays just go to college because school isn't the end of your education , school for me was biiggest waste of time andwouldnt recommend people to stay on lore than they should because i stayed on a d just the results are useless in this world

Last edited:
don't worry school results mean nothing nowadays just go to college because school isn't the end of your education , school for me was biiggest waste of time andwouldnt recommend people to stay on lore than they should because i stayed on a d just the results jare useless in this world

No this isn't school exams this is college. Some serious shizz, I need good grades because I want to go to uni when I've finished everything.

No this isn't school exams this is college. Some serious shizz, I need good grades because I want to go to uni when I've finished everything.

but don't you do a levels at school? is there notacourse with no formal exam just marking throughoutora differ styled exam? just I thought a levels are niching as you get them at school like higher are up here but you can get higher at collie to get into uni here butwe have coerces where you do at college no a levels needed then you advance if you just get a pass to feet to uni , if you have failed just try again next year

Does your college allow you to resit your exam without repeating the entire year?

but don't you do a levels at school? is there notacourse with no formal exam just marking throughoutora differ styled exam? just I thought a levels are niching as you get them at school like higher are up here but you can get higher at collie to get into uni here butwe have coerces where you do at college no a levels needed then you advance if you just get a pass to feet to uni , if you have failed just try again next year

It's GSCEs at school and A levels at college, or there's btecs and diplomas which are all coursework and no exams.
I'm hoping the religious studies thing won't be too bad, because I'm also doing psychology and I'm starting biology in the second year, so after the third I want to do psychology at uni and so I'll need the biology more than the relgious studies. Especially since my 2 main career options both have biology or psychology involved (my first choice is special school teacher so the psychology is important, although I'm also keen on the idea of being a primatologist so both biology and psychology comes into play).

I disagree with some others here and I do think exams are important, however, you will probably find that as long as you get a good enough grade to continue taking that subject, it shouldn't be a problem.
I am currently doing my second year A level exams. Earlier in the year EVERY SINGLE PERSON re-sat last years exams to see if they could improve their grades. I improved one of my grades from an E to a B. Next year most of the people on your course will probably be encouraged to take re-sits. These are usually free.

Don't worry, you will get another chance to sit the paper. I have made exactly the same mistake in the past and know exactly how frustrating it can be. If like me your long term memory is better than your short term memory, you may even find that you do better in the re-sit anyway.

Good luck, and make sure you tell your tutor what happened and they should understand why you got the grade your getting.

I have just had an exam. It went horribly. I had no idea what I was writing about. Unfortunately, I wont be able to re-sit this exam as I am in my second year.

When i was doing A-levels, you only actually needed d's to get into university. Obviously if your dream is to get into Oxbridge then perhaps you could resit your exams? Either way, you need to wait until you get your results, there is no need to worry until that happens.

I fell asleep in my biology A-level if that makes you feel any better.

You should try to explain to someone in charge of the subject at your school. Tell them that you messed up, tell them HOW and WHY you did it, and tell them about your Autism.

This might sound silly and unethical, but if you have to, use your Autism as an excuse.
It's a fact that Autistic people miss stuff easily, every single one I know (including myself) does the same thing! So if you can explain this without sounding fake, along with explaining the rest, maybe they can either take it into account or get you a resit. Afterall, if it WAS because of your autism, which it may or may not have been, they have to understand and take into account that you're not like other people, and they can't just brush it off as it's regarding something really important.

That's what I'd do anyway.
Goodluck!

New Threads

Top Bottom