• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I love myself?

lovely_darlingprettybaby

V.I.P Member
Do you?
I think even if you do not love certain aspects of yourself then you can still love yourself.
What areas of self love or self worth could you improve on?
I think of course you can look any way at all and feel any way that you want on your appearance.
Your body is your freedom especially as a women but even as a man. I believe in body autonomy. What kind of person would say body autonomy is wrong when it is the cornerstone for self love
Your body was given as a gift to you.
I think you can disown people who are not worth it
I do not think you have to be forced in toxic situations to love others that use you and spitefully abuse you.
You know what anyone in your life is that is not in your corner is not worth it.
You only want people who promote you and geniunely love you for you no matter your struggles.
The people who love you will appreciate you and all who you are.
Not pull down your dignity because it offends them.
So what do you think of self love and your own self worth and value?

1. Do I love myself? Alexithymia at work here. I don't know if I would call it "love" per se, but I do have strong self-protective mechanisms.
2. How could I improve on my self love or self worth? To me, self worth comes from helping others. "What value am I to others?" "Am I a protector?" "Am I a mentor/educator?" "Am I a provider?" My life is centered around all of these, so I think I am already operating on a rather high sense of self worth.
3. I've never given much thought to "body autonomy" per se, but I do care how I appear in terms of personal hygiene, clothing, etc. I try to project an image of someone who is well put together.
4. Yes, you can "disown" people. You can always get "new people" around you. I know there are toxic, sociopathic, narcissists out there that destroy self-esteems and abuse others for their own sick entertainment and delight. They want to hold power over others by making them feel dependent upon them. Death by a thousand cuts is their typical "modus operandi". You need to kick these people to the curb, right now. Believe me, the sense of guilt you want to feel, that goes away real quick when the relief of a huge weight has been lifted from your shoulders.

Last edited:
I like aspects about myself, more so than love. Perhaps it is because I am too modest to say the word love, in reference to myself, and as I am always trying to find new ways to be a better version of myself.

Thus, I think I have a healthy self esteem, not too high or low. I am fine with my looks and personality. I mean, I wish I was taller and thicker boned but I am not worrying about it, as I cannot change that. And I wish I could approach random others and strike up long conversations, but, no worries there either. I am not missing much.

I do ok with communications now for those who approach me, and for those I trust, and I focus on efforts and being me. That is all I need really. I do not need attention and recognition as I know I am a good person. It does not matter what the others think, as they may have different perceptions, tastes and priorities.

I don't really have any. I'll go ahead and list everything I like about myself:
- I wear glasses
- I am kind to animals

Other than that I kind of just am who I am.

Do you?
I think even if you do not love certain aspects of yourself then you can still love yourself.
What areas of self love or self worth could you improve on?
I think of course you can look any way at all and feel any way that you want on your appearance.
Your body is your freedom especially as a women but even as a man. I believe in body autonomy. What kind of person would say body autonomy is wrong when it is the cornerstone for self love
Your body was given as a gift to you.
I do not think you have to be forced in toxic situations to love others that use you and spitefully abuse you.
You know what anyone in your life is that is not in your corner is not worth it.
You only want people who promote you and geniunely love you for you no matter your struggles.
The people who love you will appreciate you and all who you are.
Not pull down your dignity because it offends them.
So what do you think of self love and your own self worth and value?

I think I'm just as valuable as all other people. No more, no less.

I'm not about to put myself on a pedestal just because I inhabit my own mind, and know it well.
I don't put others on pedestals either.
Likewise, no one is worse than I am because we all have flaws.
We can all grow and change.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Desiderata

It’s nice to hear someone else say that!

I disowned my entire family 20 years ago for that exact reason. My wife and I disowned her 2 grown children recently for the same reason (her idea). And she might be in the middle of doing it to her own parents.

People on the spectrum are great targets for narcissists and sociopaths. Changing our behavior and identifying those people in our lives is a very difficult but very necessary step.

I have learned that anyone who is willing to let me go quietly is ironically someone that I should hold onto. Anybody who fights to keep me, even a family member, is probably someone who is afraid of losing the control that I didn’t even know they have on my life.

....You guys would cry waterfalls if I explained my own feelings toward myself.

Me too. The stuff I bury inside myself would make most people cry. I even had a therapist when I was about 22 years old ask me during our FIRST session together if I felt like I should be hospitalized to protect myself or other people. I lied and he let me walk away.

He admitted in our next session that he had never asked that question to a patient before.

I feel your pain.

Better at it than I used to be. Still working on behavioral improvements. View it as a transitional form.
It’s tough though. Survive several days at plus 106 degrees temperature.

I think I'm just as valuable as all other people. No more, no less.

I'm not about to put myself on a pedestal just because I inhabit my own mind, and know it well.
I don't put others on pedestals either.
Likewise, no one is worse than I am because we all have flaws.
We can all grow and change.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Desiderata
Yes it frustrates me when people compare even when I get frustrated with others I prefer to keep my peace with people.
Sometimes it is hard for me as an autistic not to get frustrated in frustrating situations.
I do not believe in being on a pedestal but I believe you can be confident and celebrate who you are and flaunt your beauty if that is your personality.
I do not believe humbleness is hiding away, you can be humble and still be proud of your beauty and self.

It is ok
Self love takes time for some and you are a work in progress.
It is ok if you hate yourself well it is not really but maybe that is where you have to be right now and it is ok if you feel that way..
And hope you one day find the self love you need. You are worth it and loved

It’s nice to hear someone else say that!

I disowned my entire family 20 years ago for that exact reason. My wife and I disowned her 2 grown children recently for the same reason (her idea). And she might be in the middle of doing it to her own parents.

People on the spectrum are great targets for narcissists and sociopaths. Changing our behavior and identifying those people in our lives is a very difficult but very necessary step.

I have learned that anyone who is willing to let me go quietly is ironically someone that I should hold onto. Anybody who fights to keep me, even a family member, is probably someone who is afraid of losing the control that I didn’t even know they have on my life.
You are so right people can take advantage of us when we are vulnerable and naive.
And it is hard to get away from that, you need at least one person who sees your pain and can protect you from the same old narcissists that hurt you

1. Do I love myself? Alexithymia at work here. I don't know if I would call it "love" per se, but I do have strong self-protective mechanisms.
2. How could I improve on my self love or self worth? To me, self worth comes from helping others. "What value am I to others?" "Am I a protector?" "Am I a mentor/educator?" "Am I a provider?" My life is centered around all of these, so I think I am already operating on a rather high sense of self worth.
3. I've never given much thought to "body autonomy" per se, but I do care how I appear in terms of personal hygiene, clothing, etc. I try to project an image of someone who is well put together.
4. Yes, you can "disown" people. You can always get "new people" around you. I know there are toxic, sociopathic, narcissists out there that destroy self-esteems and abuse others for their own sick entertainment and delight. They want to hold power over others by making them feel dependent upon them. Death by a thousand cuts is their typical "modus operandi". You need to kick these people to the curb, right now. Believe me, the sense of guilt you want to feel, that goes away real quick when the relief of a huge weight has been lifted from your shoulders.
I am trying to get away ..
I am sick of these people and only want those with good intentions now who want to see me happy.
I care about my appearance and like to look beautiful.
I do not think anyone should make you feel less on your appearance if you are beautiful or otherwise.
I do believe being a good person is right and a kind person and I do put value on that on myself and wonder why othrs do not feel the same heart of love or compassion for others then somehow manage to blame myself like I am wrong

Survive several days at plus 106 degrees temperature.
I lived in Phoenix Arizona until I was 6. I remember it being so hot that sometimes my shoes would stick to the asphalt. We were broke too, so we cooled off by filling our old metal trash cans with water and using them as a swimming pool.

Looking back, it’s pretty disgusting.

I like myself although find myself lacking in so many ways. I feel like i still deserve happiness. Sadly a lot of people don't feel that way

New Threads

Top Bottom