• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I look stupid when I read about my obsessions :(.

Emor

I loose all my inhibitions(well, not literally all) when I'm at the library at school and I start to read about platyhelminthes(on the computer... they don't have books).
I start to laugh and smile quite a lot over nothing really, I might rock a bit and I want to flap(tbh, if I'm at home I flap loads about obsessions).
And it's like, periods 5-6 I don't really focus, I just think about platyhelminthes.
I also have this awesome tingly sensation in my head when I read about them.
Does anyone else act more autistic as such when they're reading about their obsessions?
EMZ=]

I think if I tried I could look more normal, but then I wouldn't be comfortable sort of thing. IDK.
EMZ=]

I rock, flap, and make vocal noises when I'm by myself or with people I'm very comfortable with, but I tend to suppress these behaviors when I am in public or around people that I do not know well. Most of these correspond with strong emotions. I usually flap my hands and make vocal noises when I'm excited, and rock when I'm anxious or keeping a continuous train of thought (like telling a story).

I also have some self-aggressive behaviors that I do when I either cannot express strong emotions or choose to suppress strong emotions. Sometimes I bang my head if I'm really upset and can't find the words to talk about it, or I'm in a situation where I understand that it would be socially inappropriate to express it. More often, I scratch my upper arms instead when this happens--since I usually wear long sleeves, this tends to not be noticeable, and the scratch marks last only a few hours. I don't think people know what I'm doing when I do this, and my "head banging" tends to be more of a tap, and I can still try and be inconspicuous with such a behavior (i.e., sit up against the wall, don't hit it too hard--I wouldn't want to do that anyway, I already know it's not good for me, it's just sometimes I feel like I have to do this--like I feel like I HAVE to flap my hands sometimes--and then I can't always stop right away).

I think if I tried I could stop.
Usually when I act angry or kick a wall or something I can stop my self if I really want, but it's more to make the point that the person is really pissing me off, rather than some sort of release, because the people I'm around don't take, 'That's irritating me, please stop' seriously.
I head banged once publicly in a class but that was more to make a point about how to head bang(I was a lot more opinionated then and I'd go too far to make a point).
Sometimes I rock in public but that's more because it helps me focus, but I don't need to.
Last year I went through a period where I'd be extremely euphoric(be laughing and talking to my self a lot) and then I'd start slapping my self in the head and punching my self in the face, but I don't know. That stopped a while back.
I mean, I generally don't need to stim in public, but I enjoy doing so, and my self-awareness plummets when I'm reading about my obsessions, esp. when I'm thinking so fast.
IDK.
To conclude, there is no conclusion. I've just been rambling. Rofl.
EMZ=]

We act "more autistic" because we're happy, and flapping/rocking is our natural way of expressing that. I'm about the same as you, but on a slightly smaller level, and I'm always thinking about my obsessions anyway, not just after I've read about them. In fact, the only reason I do well in the lessons I get good grades in is because they relate to my obsessions.

I act more Aspergers or whatever when I do things I enjoy, like swimming or taking photo's. I don't know. I just become more relaxed and kind of act stupid and childish. And flap.

I've just realized today that when I get in an argument on the computer (which I enjoy doing when the occasion naturally arises), I rock.

It feels good, I don't know why people act like it's crazy.

I think arguing on computers is pretty low. A lot of the time it seems to descend into childish insults or empty threats which are oh-so-2002... well. Maybe that's just the company I keep. :lol:

I don't like arguing full stop whether it's irl or offline. Sometimes I'll drop a sarcastic comment or insult at someone if for whatever reason they're irritating me, but I rarely have the motivation to get into an argument.
I only get into a debate with someone I disagree with.
If people start insulting me personally and not my views then I start to feel sick and I have a horrible feeling in my stomach so I just leave.
In terms of debates about computers I just think they're stupid. If you look at Mac VS PC videos first it's like, 'does it matter, it's an os?' and then you find out there's ****ing death threats over that **** :|.
EMZ=/

Well, I post on debate forums so that is why I argue. :p Otherwise I don't go around looking for argument, but if one comes up I don't not enjoy it. I am good at it, why wouldn't I enjoy it?

That isn't to say I enjoy all arguments, but in general principle I am okay with it when I get into a debate with someone.

I enjoy debates but I usually can't tell the difference between arguments and debates so I feel bad when I notice it was an argument, or when someone throws a personal insult when I seriously thought we were fine.
EMZ=]

Breaking down an argument, someone elses or one of my own, finding the flaws, and constructing a new argument is pretty much my favorite thing in the world to do. It's a giant verbal puzzle, I am good at it and I love it. That is half of why I am going into law. The other half is that I love public service.

I don't try to make people upset, but argument is a game to me, and if you let yourself get upset you are losing and it's your fault. Part of the game is knowing not to get upset. And I'll reiterate, I don't go around looking for fights outside my debate forums, the only time I argue outside those is when I have legitimate reason and even then I generally only debate. And if someone is really getting upset I can tell when things are out of hand and will stop there, when I was a kid I was a bit of an internet bully and have learned my lesson, I learned when I was like 13 that it's not nice to push people who obviously aren't in a position to defend themselves. But I do enjoy the challenge of a new argument. I just prefer to stick to friendly debate among friends. :)

When I'm reading about my obsessions or talking about them or thinking about them I get all excited and stuff as well. I do stim quite a bit because I enjoy it especially when listening to music or daydreaming. I don't rock though but I do a lot of tactile things with my hands.
When I think about obsessions I get carried away and just can't stop thinking about them and if someone mentions them I get this weird feeling that I can't describe, but it's like an adrenaline type thing, if I'm involved in the conversation I will generally take it over or atleast be a lot more active than I was before.

I'd be talking and rocking about my obsessions, but I don't do the rocking when I'm reading in front of people. :lol:

I enjoy debates but I usually can't tell the difference between arguments and debates
Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I honestly thought an argument and a debate were the same thing. What is the difference?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I honestly thought an argument and a debate were the same thing. What is the difference?
Well, afaik, arguments are generally less civilised and the person gets mad at you and starts throwing insults.
In a debate I think both parties should enjoy it tbh, unless they're megalomanic and can't stand the idea of loosing.
EMZ=]

The two terms can probably be used interchangeably, but typically a debate has a more positive connotation. In a debate it is understood by both parties that there are no hard feelings and it is (theoretically) completely impersonal, whereas in an argument that CAN be the case but it isnt necessarily, an argument can also be very personal. I think in an argument the point is for it to get as ugly as possible, whereas in a debate the point is to keep it clean and civil for the sake of positive intellectual stimulation.

I don't stim as much as many Aspies, but I do rock when I'm finding out about something and I did used to flap when I was little. When I'm excited I jump up and down and run all over the house.

I like getting into arguments online because I'm much more relaxed and I can think in the 'heat of the moment', there's not as much pressure because I don't have body language, facial expressions etc to contend with, I just get what they're saying and I can think twice about whether I take it literally or not. Face to face I rarely engage in arguments, I'm usually the one trying to smooth things over, maybe because I think I'll lose- there's just a natural disadvantage when you have to translate every movement and sarcastic comment or whatever. When I am in an argument, I'll suddenly just stop talking and start saying things like 'okay then', 'never mind', when before I was getting furious and so was the other person, which usually really annoys the other person. Sometimes if I'm really really irritated I will start hitting my other arm and what I'm trying to say won't make it into words, I'll sound like a disgruntled horse. It usually gets people to leave me alone...

I rarely ever stim. I actually stim more when I am uncomfortable but don't know how to express it or how to communicate (because my mind is running in circles), or I can't change the situation and it's my way of coping with it. And then it's usually rubbing my nose, face and hands.

I think I used to flap as a kid, though I'm not sure. But I don't anymore. Possibly stopped when I started to compose my movements more, out of my interest for acting and dancing and body movement in general, method of self control in a way. And it's not limited to public environments.

I do sort of rock still, but that also might be stemming from my ADD, to help me concentrate. And then it's not back and forth, but more up and down with my legs or opening and closing them while crossed. I'm rarely exited. When I am, I often start dancing or singing.

Oh yeah, does anyone else mumble as well? Incoherent mumbling, that doesn't really say anything, but in a way feels comforting to do?

New Threads

Top Bottom