• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I just did some heavy pruning on my video game collection.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
I basically became honest with myself and I removed every game that I had zero desire to finish. I also removed a few games that I knew I would never have the time to get into because I already am deeply involved in a few different time sink games. All in all, I removed around 300 games, and will be making a trip to a game shop to drop off the physical ones while biting the bullet and taking the loss on the digital ones.

My collection looks a lot more manageable now. I do not plan on adding to it anytime soon. I will enjoy what I already have, which is a treasure trove of entertainment. So there will be quite a few games on my Xbox and PlayStation tags that will eternally be incomplete. I need to be less OCD about that.

Even I've had to do that, sort of.

At some point over the last few months I just abruptly went "wait a minute, why do I keep buying these games that promise like 50 hours of awesomeness if I'm only going to play them for 2 hours before getting distracted by whatever Steam throws at me next?" and.... yeah. There was no good reason for it.

So now, it's like, buy a game and then keep at it till completion. THEN buy whatever (or, better yet, look through my backlog and pick one there). Well, sort of. Plenty of games I have dont have traditional endings. But plenty still do.

Even I've had to do that, sort of.

At some point over the last few months I just abruptly went "wait a minute, why do I keep buying these games that promise like 50 hours of awesomeness if I'm only going to play them for 2 hours before getting distracted by whatever Steam throws at me next?" and.... yeah. There was no good reason for it.

So now, it's like, buy a game and then keep at it till completion. THEN buy whatever (or, better yet, look through my backlog and pick one there). Well, sort of. Plenty of games I have dont have traditional endings. But plenty still do.
I should take a page out of your book. Especially because I keep going back to familiar comfort games rather than trying out new content. I'm currently installing a game from my backlog, fingers crossed I'll be able to see this one through to the end :eek:

It's definitely rewarding to master like 5 games that you can play forever instead of being semi-decent at 500 of them, and then having another 500 chilling in your collection that you're never going to touch. Also, it turns gaming into a relatively cheap hobby because you don't have to keep spending money over and over again.

With that said, I've definitely been one to chase the high of a new game and hardly ever play it (hundreds of times over). I think it's pretty common and way too easy in this day and age to hoard and collect things we're never really going to use in a practical sense, and that's something I really try to do less and less in my life.

I'm trying to curate a handful of those 'forever' games. All I have so far is Minecraft and Factorio, lol

It's definitely rewarding to master like 5 games that you can play forever

This is one of the reasons I'm so into roguelikes of all sorts. They're designed for exactly this. Endless content, seemingly limitless skill ceiling, and no end of challenging situations they'll throw at you.

Even after what must be 800+ hours (600 on Steam, 200 elsewhere) Binding of Isaac *still* continues to surprise me on a regular basis. As do others.

And of course Minecraft. Always Minecraft.

With that said, I've definitely been one to chase the high of a new game and hardly ever play it (hundreds of times over). I think it's pretty common and way too easy in this day and age to hoard and collect things we're never really going to use in a practical sense, and that's something I really try to do less and less in my life.
Steam sales for me are the time of year where I throw everything on my wishlist that’s on sale into my shopping cart and buy games in bulk. And then I play Rimworld again.

I need to do this for my digital music collection. Besides my physical collection, I have about 14,000 digital albums, many of which just sit there and I don't listen to, many that I haven't listened to yet, and many that I listened to and didn't like much.

At the moment I'm going through all of them, listening to and giving them a rating on RYM (the ones that are listed there - most of them). This is going to take years. I started this project one and a half years ago, and I'm only on F, and have made about 7000 ratings. Not all of the ratings are of albums in my collection, some were streamed, or listened to and then deleted. When I finish, I'll delete the ones I gave less than 2.5 stars to, maybe even less than 3 stars. That would mean some radical pruning, as a lot of what I listen to is mediocre or average.

I want to keep the collection meaningful, meaning that the albums in my collection are ones that I enjoy and am going to listen to, rather than just taking up valuable disk space.

I have only one video game, and I rarely play it - kind of forget it's even there lol.

Steam sales for me are the time of year where I throw everything on my wishlist that’s on sale into my shopping cart and buy games in bulk. And then I play Rimworld again.

Would you believe, I actually managed to stop doing this?

I know, sounds far-fetched, right? But I managed it!

Last few sales... didnt buy anything. Browsed a bit, but I made sure to compare them to the group of games that I've most recently been into and my usual standbys... looking to see, would I *really* play this new thing considering those? Usually, the answer was no.

I'm quite pleased about this. Beating the Steam sale allure aint easy, is it?

Shopping can be an addiction. The pursuit of a new shiny at a low cost, the brief dopamine hit once the transaction has been completed, then the banality of adding it to the shelf with the thousand other games I got the same way. This is some kind of mental illness going on here.

Shopping can be an addiction. The pursuit of a new shiny at a low cost, the brief dopamine hit once the transaction has been completed, then the banality of adding it to the shelf with the thousand other games I got the same way. This is some kind of mental illness going on here.
This kind of behavior is often associated with personality disorders, according to Wikipedia.

On a side note I would also recommend looking up and doing research on the related phenomena known as "commodity fetishism". Commodity fetishism and shopping addiction tend to go hand-in-hand, and even if you haven't personally dealt with that particular pitfall yourself you can still become self aware about the concept and learn how to avoid it.

If it's a mental illness of some sort, then it's like some sort of psychic pandemic, considering the sheer number of people that have it.

Seriously, dont beat yourself up over it. In PC gaming land, I dont know even a single person who doesnt have this issue. It's what the Steam sales are about. Heck the autumn sale just finished like a week ago, and I watched people on my friends list buy like 30 things at once. They aint gonna play most of those 30 things, just like they didnt play most of the 50 things from the last stupid sale, or the 40 things they will buy during the inevitable Christmas/winter sale. But they'll buy anyway.

Also remember that companies are literally doing everything they can to manipulate you into doing exactly this sort of thing. It's what things like Black Friday are about. They pour BILLIONS into finding out how to best manipulate you.

New Threads

Top Bottom