• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I have a gifted baby

Bri

Does anyone else have "gifted" or "advanced" children??

I brought my little princess in to the doctors to get a rash looked at. I asked the doctor how she should be doing developmentally and what types of things should I be expecting from her. As he was saying this he saw my look of surprise and he asked if I had any concerns. I told him that the milestones he described I had noticed long time ago. I then asked how many words should she be saying and recognizing and he said that she should have none. So I told him that she was clapping and waving now as well and he looked shocked. As young parents I could tell that he didn't expect this out of us...

So my seven month old is apparently at a ten month old level.

She claps and waves and PLAYS with the cats!!

She says mama, dada, baba, yay, and hi!!!

She has no interest in toys that are meant for the 6-9 month development and all of the toys she loves are from the toddler isle and are 12-36 months.

However I have found her some "friends" that are her age and they are so interested in her but she acts like they aren't even there!!!

I have told her pediatrician my thoughts on having a family of aspies but they told me that I wouldn't be able to know or have her tested until she was three years.

I am wondering if I have passed to her my syndrome. I just want to know how to ensure her social development so she doesn't go through all of the torment and depression that I have.

I would love any feedback or links because I can not find anything!!!

Thanks everyone :)
ImageUploadedByAspiesCentral.com1411140277.513877.jpg

Wasn't it posible to test that at six weeks? Because they avoid eye contact that early. If you are autistic too I doubt you'd be staring into her eyes enough to notice whether she avoids it, but her behaviour toward other babies might be a clue. If I personally suspected that a person had SPD, I would try to be considerate of that without asking them about it first; however, do what you think is best.

Well, Bri, I'm not a parent, but I was "gifted" too. (I started reading---really reading---at age two or three.) I hope my perspective can help.

I don't think your daughter's advancements necessarily means she is Aspie. (She could just be bored by the kids who can't keep up with her!) As the doctor said, it's a bit early to tell. Try not to worry too much about it for now and just carry on the way you've been doing.

Apparently early screening tests do exist for eighteen-month-olds and two-year-olds, but I don't know what they would do for your daughter.

She has a beautiful smile, by the way. :)

Well, Bri, I'm not a parent, but I was "gifted" too. (I started reading---really reading---at age two or three.) I hope my perspective can help.

I don't think your daughter's advancements necessarily means she is Aspie. (She could just be bored by the kids who can't keep up with her!) As the doctor said, it's a bit early to tell. Try not to worry too much about it for now and just carry on the way you've been doing.

Apparently early screening tests do exist for eighteen-month-olds and two-year-olds, but I don't know what they would do for your daughter.

She has a beautiful smile, by the way. :)
Thank you! Haha in that picture we were trying to make her look like baby Einstein!

Wasn't it posible to test that at six weeks? Because they avoid eye contact that early. If you are autistic too I doubt you'd be staring into her eyes enough to notice whether she avoids it, but her behaviour toward other babies might be a clue. If I personally suspected that a person had SPD, I would try to be considerate of that without asking them about it first; however, do what you think is best.
I didn't even know I had an ASD at that time :/ but I did notice she had a lack of eye contact and an overall lack of interest in anybody. I asked her grandparents to keep an eye and they told me it was normal and nothing to worry about yet I had a feeling something was off.

Wasn't it posible to test that at six weeks?

My reading of Attwood suggests that observations at this age can certainly lead to a Dx of ASD; however, I don't think a conclusive Dx is possible until the child is older. So, I think it's a bit of both.

Not all people on the ASD spectrum avoid eye contact, and eye contact, or the lack of it, is not enough to base a diagnosis on.

My reading of Attwood suggests that observations at this age can certainly lead to a Dx of ASD; however, I don't think a conclusive Dx is possible until the child is older. So, I think it's a bit of both.
I suppose notes can be kept which could be referred to later.

I know a small child who I suspect has Aspergers, actually, I suspect his parents do too, and, as is the case with your daughter, he learnt language super early. I remember as his baby sitter talking him outside to play as a one year old, and the other people we encountered were just so amazed at his speech.

I suppose notes can be kept which could be referred to later.

Yeah, that was what I gathered from my reading. Diagnosing ASD is an involved process, and one of the elements is usually extensive clinical interviews and observations. A certain stage of development must be reached before such full observations, interviews, and general evaluation is possible, or such is my impression at least. However, observations at an early age can be diagnostically relevant later on if properly noted.

My oldest daughter hit most of those kinds of milestones early, but some were right on time, and some were a little behind. She never had a problem with eye contact, but was very sensitive to rejection...even as a tiny baby, if someone in the room laughed, even if it wasn't at her, she started bawling because she thought they were laughing at her.

It looks different in girls, and it's really hard to firmly differentiate aspies at that early of an age anyway. I think with small kids, unless there's something seriously wrong, just enjoy them for who they are and walk out the discovery process with them.

She's adorable!!

If you are autistic too I doubt you'd be staring into her eyes enough to notice whether she avoids it,

I don't agree. I'm diagnosed and I love looking at my daughters eyes. They're a beautiful blue and extremely cute. When it's your own child it's not creepy or discomforting. For me anyway. Could be for the OP too. I'm not sure of other people, but no. I look at my daughter in the eyes. It's other people I feel uncomfortable with the eyes thing.

I also think that, if a parent is on the spectrum, then there is going to be a perhaps a tendency to nitpick the child's behavior and actions apart looking for autism at an age when the child's mind is still rapidly developing. I think writing down observations might be helpful, but it would be easy to read too much into infantile behavior/actions/manners.

i mean, if a kid doesn't look you in the eye, remember that their eyesight is still developing, or s/he might be looking at that mural you put in his/her room. Social awkwardness/developmental delays are hard to notice in one incapable of speech as well.

Data is good, but I think there is a point where you have to take it with a grain of salt at a certain age.

I am wondering if I have passed to her my syndrome. I just want to know how to ensure her social development so she doesn't go through all of the torment and depression that I have.
View attachment 12707

Well, autism is known to be genetic, but it is thought to be caused by certain clusters of genes rather than any one specific gene, so usually it is not something that you can peg to one parent or the other. Of course, that is my limited understanding of the current medical understanding.

Also, "syndrome" is itself a work describing an array of conditions/issues. It might be that she gets some from you but not enough to really meet the diagnostic criteria of the syndrome. Some people have some of the issues associated with autism but are otherwise NT.

I wouldn't worry about it, though, as it really is just about how your child's brain is wired. There is nothing wrong with being on the spectrum.

D'aaaaaw, sudsy baby!!

She may be simply intelligent and advanced for her age, she may be an Aspie in the making. I was an early walker and late crawler (mostly due to bad proportions that come with long legs), and had a vocabulary of 60+ at the age I should have known about 20 words. I was 14 when the lack of eye contact and more serious of my symptoms kicked in.

Well, autism is known to be genetic, but it is thought to be caused by certain clusters of genes rather than any one specific gene, so usually it is not something that you can peg to one parent or the other. Of course, that is my limited understanding of the current medical understanding.

I wonder if anyone has considered that we might be missing a few. If there are sensory filter genes, I reasonably sure I missed out on them.

Does anyone else have "gifted" or "advanced" children??

I brought my little princess in to the doctors to get a rash looked at. I asked the doctor how she should be doing developmentally and what types of things should I be expecting from her. As he was saying this he saw my look of surprise and he asked if I had any concerns. I told him that the milestones he described I had noticed long time ago. I then asked how many words should she be saying and recognizing and he said that she should have none. So I told him that she was clapping and waving now as well and he looked shocked. As young parents I could tell that he didn't expect this out of us...

So my seven month old is apparently at a ten month old level.

She claps and waves and PLAYS with the cats!!

She says mama, dada, baba, yay, and hi!!!

She has no interest in toys that are meant for the 6-9 month development and all of the toys she loves are from the toddler isle and are 12-36 months.

However I have found her some "friends" that are her age and they are so interested in her but she acts like they aren't even there!!!

I have told her pediatrician my thoughts on having a family of aspies but they told me that I wouldn't be able to know or have her tested until she was three years.

I would love any feedback or links because I can not find anything!!!

Thanks everyone :)View attachment 12707

That baby is so cute. I would love on her so much XD Now I want to go hug my baby! She's 2 but they're always a baby to you when you're their mother.

I don't know if it's a shadow, but if that's a picture of you as your avatar, I think she has your eyebrows.

New Threads

Top Bottom