• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I feel jealous that I’ll never achieve my dreams

I'm doing that very thing, regardless of whether it will remain reliable income for the rest of my life :)
I appreciate your attitude no matter what, and even if it wasn’t a reliable income for the rest of your life, everything that you are putting into it and gaining from it now is still immensely valuable. Achieving a dream can be more of a work in progress than a single moment.

Just further evidence that it seems like you have achieved one of your dreams. Correct me if I’m wrong, but you seem to definitely fall into the category of someone who had a dream, went after it, and even if it wasn’t perfect, made it happen. You are the Dream Catcher!

Inspiration for you, @mysterionz
1671296907924.jpeg

I appreciate your attitude no matter what, and even if it wasn’t a reliable income for the rest of your life, everything that you are putting into it and gaining from it now is still immensely valuable. Achieving a dream can be more of a work in progress than a single moment.

Just further evidence that it seems like you have achieved one of your dreams. Correct me if I’m wrong, but you seem to definitely fall into the category of someone who had a dream, went after it, and even if it wasn’t perfect, made it happen. You are the Dream Catcher!

Inspiration for you, @mysterionz
View attachment 91782
Omg, thank you, you've brought me to tears <3
I can't give myself all the credit. Without my dogs, I wouldn't even be half the person I am now. They are the true inspiration here.

Especially Enzo. He is truly a one in a million dog. I have only had him for a year, and he went from a terrified, aggressive, reactive rescue dog into a multi-title holding champion. He has taught me that nothing is impossible with any dog, with the right amount of passion and positivity (and patience!)

One thing about this internet fame I think is terrible, I saw a young girl some time ago, she had made something and was hoping for likes on some site, I don't know exactly what it was about. But she didn't get likes and at the same time she saw many others getting lots of likes. And she was so sad and felt so bad about it.

I'm so happy internet wasn't a big thing when I grew up, I never thought about or worried about things like that. It must devastating to be young and see others being liked so much when you are just ignored. It's bad enough to stand on the outside without the internet amplifying it.

One thing about this internet fame I think is terrible, I saw a young girl some time ago, she had made something and was hoping for likes on some site, I don't know exactly what it was about. But she didn't get likes and at the same time she saw many others getting lots of likes. And she was so sad and felt so bad about it.

I'm so happy internet wasn't a big thing when I grew up, I never thought about or worried about things like that. It must devastating to be young and see others being liked so much when you are just ignored. It's bad enough to stand on the outside without the iternet amplifying it.
Reminds me somewhat of YouTube's "Natasha's Adventures". A young Eastern-Russia woman who talked about life in Russia. Now living as an indefinite political exile in Georgia. Most of the feedback she gets is favorable, but then on occasion she's got those who amount to being stalkers which understandably alarms her.

Risky business...potentially at least. Not to mention that if she prematurely goes back to Russia, she may face prison under the existing government.

Did you mean this in a constructive way? Like be aware of your dreams and adapt them as much as possible into achievable goals?

Dreams are achievable. Not everyone can turn dreams into reality, but I would argue that many people achieve their dreams.

But I don’t think either one of us have any solid data on this. So just surmising here.
People shouldn't feel bad for not achieving their dreams. What people should feel bad about is continuing to act in a way that wastes their realistic potential.

People shouldn't feel bad for not achieving their dreams. What people should feel bad about is continuing to act in a way that wastes their realistic potential.
Fair enough.
For my part, I don’t know what people should and shouldn’t feel.
I see your point, though.

For my part, I don’t know what people should and shouldn’t feel.
There are certain negative emotions that people need to feel to regulate their behavior.

People feel positive emotions when they make incremental progress towards meaningful realistically achievable goals, hanging on to things that are not achievable and beating yourself over the head for "failing" is a recipe for feeling bad all the time. But people can still have dreams in fantasy, i think anyone does, and for a lot of people it's the best possible life outcome that doesn't defy the laws of nature, having actually achieved your best possible life would be a disaster because your reward system would just stop working. I mean what would the purpose of positive emotions actually be if there is nothing left to do that you need be motivated for.

There are certain negative emotions that people need to feel to regulate their behavior.

People feel positive emotions when they make incremental progress towards meaningful realistically achievable goals, hanging on to things that are not achievable and beating yourself over the head for "failing" is a recipe for feeling bad all the time. But people can still have dreams in fantasy, i think anyone does, and for a lot of people it's the best possible life outcome that doesn't defy the laws of nature, having actually achieved your best possible life would be a disaster because your reward system would just stop working. I mean what would the purpose of positive emotions actually be if there is nothing left to do that you need be motivated for.
I find your perspective interesting. Thank you for elaborating.

I’m 18 years old and I’m stuck at the same part time job I’ve had since I was sixteen, where I haven’t been promoted.
You’re only 18? Thank God you’re learning this when you’re 18 and not 48, looking back on your life and saying, “I’ve been stuck at the same job for the past twenty-five years...” Hey, I’m just saying, a little bit of a reality check can go a long way. You can’t change anything if you don’t know it needs to be changed. The question now is, now that you know it needs to be changed, what are you going to do about it?

In just skimming through the thread, it sounds like things that are important to you are your art and finding a way to make money with your art. I have a cousin in a similar boat. She is 26, lives at home, and likes working with animals. She works part time retail and is earning her certificate to be a veterinary technician. Out of her earnings she buys her art supplies when they go on sale. (She gets some really good deals that way, too.) Last year she opened her own Etsy store where she sells her art. You don’t need a lot of money to open an Etsy store. No, she doesn’t make a lot of money at it, but she sells some. Sure, it might be a hobby at this point—she, like you, would like to make a living at it—but maybe someday she’ll have enough of her better work assembled to show at a gallery.

Working towards a dream takes time. Don’t give up your dream, but do take little steps to help it become a reality.

Is this mildly infuriating?
somebody posts a tweet on Twitter, it gets popular, then they promote their paid services (Commissions, some crappy go fund me).

I hate Twitter. I hate that ppl will blow up if you are disrespectful to DID systems (Most of the time it’s just ppl pretending to be fictional characters/actual people, the condition irl is very controversial), ppl going by pronouns like mew/mewself (you’re safe @Luca i would never use a pronoun like that on you), and ppl believing your gender identity can be influenced by you liking something/feeling a connection to it (pupgender, NOT actual gender identities under the non binary umbrella like Demi boy/Demi girl). Ppl I’ve seen on the forums here that are non-cisgender don’t go out of their way to use some term like Babygender to describe their gender identity.

this is not me being disrespectful to actual LGBTQ identities that exist (gay, trans, bi, pan, Demi, demigender, non binary, etc) just the ones that make no sense like pupgender

Last edited:
The world has changed so much in such a short time, believe it or not but when I grew up we didn't have any of those things you mention here. Not one of them, never heard anyone talk about it. A while ago someone called me cisgender, I had to google it, I thought they were swearing at me or something.
Cisgender isn’t a swear word. It’s an alternate way of saying somebody identifies as the sex they were assigned at birth (assigned male/female at birth).

A while ago someone called me cisgender, I had to google it, I thought they were swearing at me or something. It's just amazing how much it has changed.
But look how far we've come. We are battle buddies now :smilingimp:

Words are fluid and change over time and even from one person to another... their true meaning has eluded me for a long time as we all seem to understand the same words differently. Language is overated. I think action is more important than words.

I love words, but they cause trouble, too.

I feel sad when anybody is hurt. Absolutely everyone included.

1671424142131.jpeg

New Threads

Top Bottom