• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I don’t care about anyone

I care about and love my children but they are now adults with their own lives and families. I am not involved in their lives as I once was. There is distance as I give them their freedom to live their lives as they see fit. To make their own mistakes and come up with their own solutions. To make their own decisions.
Exactly, and this was how I felt towards my daughter. And yet something else must've happened, almost as if I took one step too far, so that instead of giving her space and letting her be but still caring and worrying about her and checking on her from time to time, wondering how she's doing if I haven't heard from her for a while, that period of time, that gap, increased and I found myself not thinking about her very much at all. Almost like, if I haven't heard anything then things must be fine. For some reason as that gap increased so it lent credence to the fact that I didn't care and was no longer interested.

This has happened with other people at different times in similar ways, and for me that just seems normal. If you're involved with each other interacting with each other regularly then you know that you are a part of each other's lives. whereas if a long period goes by while you may still be interested to hear from someone you haven't heard from in a while, in my experience those gaps just tend to get longer and longer and longer and at some point if you think about it they just don't exist for you any more. After all, if you want to be in someone's life you have to make an effort so if neither of us are it must indicate that we sort of let each other go.

I didn't think that could happen with my daughter. And it's probably not the whole answer of course but because I've looked at this idea of caring versus worrying for such a long time because I don't worry I feel like I don't care. And as @Neonatal RRT said, it's sort of out of sight out of mind.

I have always struggled to maintain connection with people I have known who I no longer see. Back in the day before the Internet, phoning or writing letters just never really happened. Now, it's very easy to keep in contact with someone and yet I find I struggle to hold interest in someone I don't see. I can't expect all the effort to be made by the other person, and so it probably seems as if I don't care any more. That is never really true and yet it seems that way. I get it.

Most people need to be accepted. I know what it feels like when I am. And yet if I need to be accepted it interferes with who I am. I sometimes think I am, only to discover that who they thought they were accepting wasn't me.

I've had moments in my life when I've felt accepted, and acceptance feels like a form of love. But for some reason it doesn't last. Something happens. Something changes. I do something or say something. I reveal something I haven't said before. Something...and that feeling of acceptance goes. I start to notice what was there before is not there now. Reactions, considerations, feel different; it's almost like what was there before had been a dream and only seemed real.

I can't really explain it but it has happened many times. In many ways I'm grateful that I even had the experience of acceptance at all; feeling welcomed, wanted, when so much of my experience has me recognising that yet again, I am on the outside looking in.

I've noticed that if I start to feel settled, that feeling doesn't stay long, almost like stagnation sets in and life changes things. People, relationships, friendships, disappear, sometimes in ways I cannot understand. I have to accept it. I have to carry on. I have to live in the present. I have to stay open to new experiences.

Something has changed though. I have changed in a way I wasn’t expecting. The idea that things always work out for me somehow doesn't exist now. I no longer feel it. All I can do is maintain myself as best I can. Life for me is collapsing, dissolving, and it is not happening fast it is slow.

I know this sounds a bit doom and gloom, and I honestly don't dwell on it like it seems. I'm just observing it in this moment as I look at it and express it. So it's not that I’m thinking like this all the time. It's not how I feel as I move around. But I see it and can't explain it. I'm not sure anyone will get it. Anyone who cares about what I say can only understand me based on their own experience, their own perception. I am always wanting to bridge the gap though.

As @OkRad said…”You are a philosopher and will never be understood.” This statement reminded me that I have been told this before. And I'm not sure what to do about it. I do feel some understand me at times, but only some, and only at times. If I could stop wanting to be understood it would definitely help. How does one do that?

Last edited:
If I could stop wanting to be understood it would definitely help. How does one do that?
I have given up trying to stop that part of my mind.

Instead, it is seen as another piece of furniture in my inner dwelling.
I practice mindfulness & do a short few minutes of meditation every day.
This gives my brain and my emotions a new place to live so to speak. It is a refreshment.

in fact it allowed me the flexibilty & strength to get away from an unhealthy situation. Not saying I am strong.

I practice mindfulness & do a short few minutes of meditation every day.
This gives my brain and my emotions a new place to live so to speak. It is a refreshment.
This is very good. I know how much this helps. I used to practice meditation on a daily basis. I used to listen to teachings in a similar way. I haven't been able to for a while now. I'm not sure why. But I do still practice mindfulness as it's just part of who I am. I'm not as mindful as I once was, as I seem to forget what I'm intending to do far more easily. Getting older I suppose.

@SimonSays
We get to claim, to validate our ground. Not entitled, that’s not what I mean; but have a right and a responsibility for our selves to create closure.
Other people do that differently but you know instinctively that you have to move on from a stage, an interlude, an adventure, and go on around the corner.

Sorry anout all the typos.

Last edited:
I don’t mean I can’t care or wouldn't care, I just mean there’s nobody around me I care about. It’s been such a long time since I’ve actively cared in a continuous sense, it feels like I have lost the ability to do so, so used to not doing it have I become.

Recently, I was on my way back from the shop, ear plugs in as usual, not expecting anyone to even try communicating with me, when a woman starts talking to me. It turns out she was concerned about where she’d parked her car and needed me to reassure her that it was ok. I did so, as there was nothing wrong with her decision; she was just a little confused by the street sign. I was glad I could remove her confusion. It felt like I cared. I felt empathy/caring towards her. I didn’t need anything from her; I just got to help her and I liked that. I’ve always liked helping strangers. It feels like getting to temporarily care for a random human being. A few moments of unexpected interaction which feels like real human contact. Nothing else was said between us. I wouldn't even recognise her if I saw her again. I just spontaneously cared because she needed something from me, which did not make me feel reluctant or resistant, just friendly.

Last week I saw an old man trip over and spill his shopping. Almost instantly a few people near to him started helping him and picking up his groceries. I didn’t help; I'm sure I would’ve had there been nobody else around, but these people had him covered, and I liked seeing it. It wasn’t all that surprising they came to his aid; people help people, people are kind, but it was still nice to see. I actually felt moved by how much care was shown. I'm sure most people would have done exactly what they did. I didn’t. I didn’t have to. I didn’t need to. I do feel something if I do. It’s a nice feeling, like I'm doing something real, and it connects me, when I don’t usually feel part of anything.

Here’s the thing: If I care about you, you might care about me. If you care about me, what I do or say might upset you or hurt you at some point, not intentionally, but it probably will, if I'm being myself and not masking.

It is my experience that if I care about you, at some point I will upset you. I may not understand what I did exactly, but you will always believe I do.

If you care about me, it is my experience that at some point you will do or say something that feels controlling or judgmental. You may not realise that you are.

Because you care about me, caring means wanting to protect me from doing/saying something you would not do, primarily because you don’t want to be affected by the way this makes you feel. You care about me and would prefer I act like you do; and definitely not embarrass you or make you feel uncomfortable. It seems that to be cared about means I must care about how you feel about what I do.

Obviously I'm not set in stone. I certainly can and do change. But I cannot change according to someone else’s idea of what I should change to, or at their idea of the pace that change should take. So it therefore seems to make sense that if you do not care about me you won’t expect me to have to do so.

The other thing is: if I don’t show you something you ‘recognise’ as caring, then it may seem like I don’t or can’t care, because how you do it is different to me, so it can look like this important component that you need to see is missing.

I loved and cared about my daughter very much, yet I noticed as she got older, I would worry about her when she went out, even though there was no evidence there was anything to worry about, as well as knowing philosophically that ‘worrying’ made no difference. Most parents go through this. It made me feel conflicted. It seemed like worry was a sign of caring, or caring meant I was supposed to worry, and yet this did not seem right.

I looked at this for ages, and eventually found a way out of worrying, which had the unexpected effect of making it seem like I’d stopped caring. And within a short time, it was believed I no longer did. What I might then do no longer ‘looked like’ caring, and so it further seemed like I no longer cared. I lost my right to care because I no longer needed to worry.

I have lost, or had to let go of, so many people I have loved and cared about, that I’ve had to look at what is going on that makes this occur, and I’ve come to the conclusion that it is better in the long run if I don’t care. I can’t help caring sometimes of course, but I can stop myself going further. It is not the way I want to be, but it seems to make the most sense in the long run.

Does this make sense to you? Can you relate? I'm not saying I don’t want to care or be cared about, only I seem to have become more and more like this as time has gone on, since the life I knew and was familiar with, blew up.

I understand where you are coming from. There are only a few people that I can say that I really care about. Likewise, there are few people who really care about me. Recently two friends asked me if they could list me as an emergency contact, and I told them they could. Also they provided me with a contact in case something bad happened to them. It felt good to know that I was viewed as trustworthy and reliable.

I care about my ex-girlfriend. We didn't break up because we didn't like each other, it was because she, along with her siblings, were dragging me into their family drama and I ended up getting destroyed by it. Part of the reason I'm having to go a 2nd year of my Senior year of HS...

But I had to let her go because of that, as I did the relationships with her siblings (they all equally share the blame in that, didn't want to make one feel favorited or left out).

I have always struggled to maintain connection with people I have known who I no longer see. Back in the day before the Internet, phoning or writing letters just never really happened. Now, it's very easy to keep in contact with someone and yet I find I struggle to hold interest in someone I don't see. I can't expect all the effort to be made by the other person, and so it probably seems as if I don't care any more. That is never really true and yet it seems that way. I get it.
Same difficulty with me with those I don't see often or maybe never again.
Two people I knew for many years, that now I don't get to see due to distance, I think of them
and I wonder how they are and say to myself I should call or e-mail, but, it seems the days go
by and I just never get around to it.
It's always been that way.

Most people need to be accepted. I know what it feels like when I am. And yet if I need to be accepted it interferes with who I am. I sometimes think I am, only to discover that who they thought they were accepting wasn't me.

I've had moments in my life when I've felt accepted, and acceptance feels like a form of love. But for some reason it doesn't last. Something happens. Something changes. I do something or say something. I reveal something I haven't said before. Something...and that feeling of acceptance goes. I start to notice what was there before is not there now. Reactions, considerations, feel different; it's almost like what was there before had been a dream and only seemed real.

I can't really explain it but it has happened many times. In many ways I'm grateful that I even had the experience of acceptance at all; feeling welcomed, wanted, when so much of my experience has me recognising that yet again, I am on the outside looking in.

I've noticed that if I start to feel settled, that feeling doesn't stay long, almost like stagnation sets in and life changes things. People, relationships, friendships, disappear, sometimes in ways I cannot understand. I have to accept it. I have to carry on. I have to live in the present. I have to stay open to new experiences.

Something has changed though. I have changed in a way I wasn’t expecting. The idea that things always work out for me somehow doesn't exist now. I no longer feel it. All I can do is maintain myself as best I can. Life for me is collapsing, dissolving, and it is not happening fast it is slow.

I know this sounds a bit doom and gloom, and I honestly don't dwell on it like it seems. I'm just observing it in this moment as I look at it and express it. So it's not that I’m thinking like this all the time. It's not how I feel as I move around. But I see it and can't explain it. I'm not sure anyone will get it. Anyone who cares about what I say can only understand me based on their own experience, their own perception. I am always wanting to bridge the gap though.

As @OkRad said…”You are a philosopher and will never be understood.” This statement reminded me that I have been told this before. And I'm not sure what to do about it. I do feel some understand me at times, but only some, and only at times. If I could stop wanting to be understood it would definitely help. How does one do that?

You sure are on a path. Have you tried Transcendental Meditation? QiGong? I know you meditated a lot, but mindfulness is one thing. Pointed meditation is another. Scattershoot at anything till you find something because there are people on an obvious path. You are one. If you happen always to click with other off the Normal Path, that is a sign. I am , too, and I have not found it yet. But I am working on it. Your spirit is one of those big ones......

You sure are on a path. If you happen always to click with other off the Normal Path, that is a sign. I am , too, and I have not found it yet. But I am working on it. Your spirit is one of those big ones......

The path of no path.

I do tend to click with those outside of 'normal' paths, but not where I currently am.

There is a tendency, as has been said earlier, when discovering those who are unexpected, to become somewhat focussed on them. Something opens in me, perhaps a kind of obsessive 'special interest' action, where I seem to recognise and learn about them as much as possible, almost like I'm making up for lost time. I see and can say things they recognise and feel as valuable. I may receive something similar in return. It's like this is no coincidence and it matters more than anything else. The circumstances are usually appropriate for such intensity to occur, but it will not last or even necessarily be repeated. I have to be careful not to get too attached. As I spend my time alone this can easily happen.

I had one such experience in the hostel last year when I was homeless. For 3 days, an unexpected roommate turned out to be such an encounter. We talked from morning to night...for hours without break, about things rarely spoken about with anyone, never mind strangers. And then he left, and it took a while to let go of having been this 'me'.

There was no exchange of phone or email details. An experience of intense connection, almost outside of time, and then back to solitude as if it never was.

Last edited:
The path of no path.

I do tend to click with those outside of 'normal' paths, but not where I currently am.

There is a tendency, as has been said earlier, when discovering those who are unexpected, to become somewhat focussed on them. Something opens in me, perhaps a kind of obsessive 'special interest' action, where I seem to recognise and learn about them as much as possible, almost like I'm making up for lost time. I see and can say things they recognise and feel as valuable. I may receive something similar in return. It's like this is no coincidence and it matters more than anything else. The circumstances are usually appropriate for such intensity to occur, but it will not last or even necessarily be repeated. I have to be careful not to get too attached. As I spend my time alone this can easily happen.

I had one such experience in the hostel last year when I was homeless. For 3 days, an unexpected roommate turned out to be such an encounter. We talked from morning to night...for hours without break, about things rarely spoken about with anyone, never mind strangers. And then he left, and it took a while to let go of having been this 'me'.

There was no exchange of phone or email details. An experience of intense connection, almost outside of time, and then back to solitude as if it never was.
I wish for you that you were in an area where there were only people like that so it would not be novel. There are so so many people who are off the illusory path. Sometimes they are homeless other times they are in universities, up at the top, like chair of philosophy departments. But sometimes chairs of departments are as narrow and shallow as anyone else. But there are more people than you know off the regular old path. When you refuse to play along and don't give cues to suggest you are on the regular path then you will keep meeting those who are not.

It is a tradeoff. I actually like to meet normies. I love their stability and perspective and i marvel how they can do it. There are so many different folks faking and it tears them down. But there are true normies who have jobs, families, hobbies, 401K's, grandkids, dogs, cats and even fish while also climbing mountains now and again in between their lush and productive prayer lives. Maybe it's luck, white priv, good brain chemistry, whatever, but they are as interesting as the guy who went into Buddhism 20 years ago and isolates.

But there are true normies who have jobs, families, hobbies, 401K's, grandkids, dogs, cats and even fish while also climbing mountains now and again in between their lush and productive prayer lives.
Yes, so true. True normies are wonderfully interesting. I come across some from time to time. They make it work in a way that almost seems alien. I too am in awe. They show it is possible to make things work while being real and that is wonderful to see.

When you refuse to play along and don't give cues to suggest you are on the regular path then you will keep meeting those who are not.
That's a good point. Some people choose to look a certain way, cover themselves in tats or piercings...they have an image that says...individual and different. Makes it more obvious. My friend had the word 'OTHER' tattooed on his neck. He certainly was. These are real people feeling it. I've never expressed myself this way. I'm sure it helps. Like I said...path of no path.

I realised that worrying gets mistaken for, or accepted as, caring. I didn't stop caring about things that were clear and obvious, I just stopped worrying about things that didn't exist. That were just fears that were all in my head. But because there had been a period of worrying before this, when I figured out how to let go of doing so, the contrast was so different that the conclusion had to be that I no longer cared.

Even with other people, where I never worried about them from the beginning, so it seemed I didn't care about them at all. Here I was, accepting them as they were. Allowing them to be and do what they felt. Knowing that mistakes are a big part of how we learn so in many ways there are no mistakes. It was not for me to judge. It seemed important for me to do. I felt so much better within myself not having to deal with this irrational worrying feeling.

For me, rejection by people i cared about & whom said they cared about me, including a 30yr long friendship, as well as my own mother in her 90's (yup, i think she kept hoping i'd reach my potential!!! Until she finally realized what you see is what you get) ultimately made me very untrusting of so called friends or loved ones. I care from a distance and dial back the intimacy if it gets too much. I keep it superficial. I used to not be that way but it started to seem like nobody really understood or truly could accept me and my weird spectrum stuff. The more i was "my real authentic self" the less likely i was to keep the friendship going. Masking! So exhausting, besides eventually i will slip up and say or do something thats interpreted as selfish, uncaring, rude, or shocking. Good thing I like my own company! I have one real friend at this time, so far for about 13 yrs. Still not sure that will last. Once burned, twice shy. Knowing, late in life, that Im on the spectrum and most of us struggle so bad with all of this has helped me tons. We are doing our best in a strange and alien world, guys.

I’m probably repeating things that’ve already been stated.
If we look for advice as to how to feel better, one of the pieces is to find a group of like-minded people. But as @Running Girl said, when I relax my guard I often find they no longer consider me like-minded. And on it goes. In addition it seems I’m naive about avoiding narcissists. Learning about autism and being diagnosed with hfa wss great. It is honestly good to know what’s with my inability to finesse &/or even tolerate certain social interactions. Even here I tend to say the wrong thing. Occasional runs/hikes with a couple acquainances and going to the shops is about all the social interaction I have. I’m used to this level but not pleased with it. Hence the meditation, study of the sroics, Pyrrho, Bohm, and always the painting.

New Threads

Top Bottom