• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I can’t talk loud... :(

I also have a weird voice, nasally and cartoon-like, so people have always made fun of it, and since I'm loud I'll occasionally hear what I said/yelled repeated by a stranger from afar LOL which I mention because it happened a few hours ago.

I sometimes don’t know the volume of my own voice and while I can talk very quiet I also at times of excitement can not realise I am talking too loud and my husband tells me to turn the volume down,I have modulation problems with my voice and so when I do talk loud it doesn’t appear that way to myself.

I’ve read on dozens of websites that aspies and autists speak very loud (evidently not everyone), but I can’t find any with ones with their voices being too quiet, like mine.

I don’t want to be not heard. I don’t want to have people lean in very close just to hear me. I don’t want to have them strain to hear me. But I can’t make my voice louder comfortably. I have to use a ton of effort to make sure I’m heard in important times and that people hear okay the first time. It’s still not that loud even if I do try to talk loudly.

I want to give up but I know that I can’t, unless I want to annoy people. How do you suppose I learn to talk louder? Do you have any tips?

Speech therapy is something i found not too long ago, so I might let my parents know.
Like many others on the spectrum I am often asked to speak up because I naturally have a soft, low voice, but when I'm irritated I am told that I am shouting when I don't feel that I am, Although there have been times when I have shouted at someone realised that they have almost jumped out of their skins. I think my voice goes from barely audible to deafening with no in-between. I can't seem to control the volume very well at all.

Same here. I've heard people joke over and over about how "loud" I am, and to "keep it down". Sarcasm of course. It confused me at first, then I just learned to laugh along with them.
But I definitely get how speaking louder feels unnatural and takes more effort.
I've gotten better at it a little bit over time. Just trying to push myself slightly more than usual every now and then, until it feels more natural and comfortable.
But I don't know of any faster ways to get better at it yet. Hope you can find something that works for you.

Your post confused me so much LOL I didn't realize the quotes meant sarcasm and got excited that someone else was also loud, but I get it now.

I’ve read on dozens of websites that aspies and autists speak very loud (evidently not everyone), but I can’t find any with ones with their voices being too quiet, like mine.

I don’t want to be not heard. I don’t want to have people lean in very close just to hear me. I don’t want to have them strain to hear me. But I can’t make my voice louder comfortably. I have to use a ton of effort to make sure I’m heard in important times and that people hear okay the first time. It’s still not that loud even if I do try to talk loudly.

I want to give up but I know that I can’t, unless I want to annoy people. How do you suppose I learn to talk louder? Do you have any tips?

Speech therapy is something i found not too long ago, so I might let my parents know.
I can definitely relate. I’m pretty quiet, to the point most people don’t even realize I’m there. This is completely unintentional. I can be furious yet silent, but I feel louder in my head than I actually am, according to other people. As for advice, I’m as stumped as you are, so I got nothing.

I'm naturally a quiet and shy person and am often asked to repeat what I said. I don't have to confidence to impose my voice on people. Having said that... I can yell due to growing up in an abusive family. These days I almost never yell, possibly due to the 100s of kilometers I've put between me and my family. I am having a lot of problems hearing my partner who also has a soft voice but his is alot deeper. I learnt while going through puberty if I kept a higher pitch people could hear me better. When I'm relaxed (with no crowds around) I have a deeper pitch. And when I'm relaxed and tipsy I have a Cockney accent???

I have trouble modulating my voice, I often end up speaking either too loud or too quiet. It's annoying. Speech therapy should help though, I had it as a child to deal with my stammer and it helped a lot.

Soft voice complicated by the fact that I sound loud to myself. Conversational loudness feels like I am shouting.

I have found that if I want to change some aspect of myself that is difficult to change, then I begin with improving on those things that are relatively easy to change. They don't have to be related. By doing this I increase my competency and, therefore, my confidence. Eventually I get to a place where I am more capable of addressing the more challenging problems.

New Threads

Top Bottom