• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I can't do this anymore, going to quit

DanPaladin

Aspie and nerd, greatest combination.
It was going well lately at my job at Aldi, but then they posted the roster for next week and I will have to work 6 days without a break starting 4:00 am some days. One day they want me to work 4:00 am to 3:00 pm (but the roster only says 9 hours).

I can't do this, they are going to kill me. I will talk with my manager today and if this is true I will quit.

That scared me! I thought you were going to talk about suicide.

Quitting won't seriously mess up your life?

If not, go for it!

That scared me! I thought you were going to talk about suicide.

Quitting won't seriously mess up your life?

If not, go for it!

Suicide is not a option for me.

I will be on pension for some time but I don't care really, better that staying in a place that will destroy my mental health.

Thanks for worrying about me.

They can't take away your breaks; a large majority of the time they MUST allow Workers breaks. Otherwise it's inhumane, Have a look at the Labour Laws for your Area and see. And if they're violating that, take it to someone higher up than the Manager.

Last edited:
They can't take away your breaks; a large majority of the time they MUST allow Workers breaks. Otherwise it's inhumane, Have a look at the Labour Laws for your Area and see. And if they're violating that, take it to someone higher up than the Manager.

I believe he meant six days in a row without a day off, unless you meant that too, in which case there are labor laws for that too so might as well ignore me and check! But I imagine six wouldn't be breaking it.

But that 11 hour shift is suspect! My only guess would be that they want you there for all that time but you'll only be "on the clock" for a legal amount of time, which would obviously be really lame.

Last edited:
Working 6 days without a break is illegal under labour laws I think.

It's not illegal in the UK or EU and I doubt it is in Australia either. You have to have a 15 minute break every 5 hours and a recommended maximum working week in terms of hours, but the maximum hours are waived in most contracts these days.
It's not unusual for doctors or care workers (for example) to work for weeks at a time without a day off.

It's not illegal in the UK or EU and I doubt it is in Australia either. You have to have a 15 minute break every 5 hours and a recommended maximum working week in terms of hours, but the maximum hours are waived in most contracts these days.
It's not unusual for doctors or care workers (for example) to work for weeks at a time without a day off.

If it isn't it bloody well should be IMO.

If it isn't it bloody well should be IMO.

We have some of the most favourable worker's rights laws in the world here in the UK, thanks in no small part to the EU. Our US compatriots don't have anywhere near the rights and protections we have, for instance.
People need to work to survive, and all sorts of compromises are made in order to get and keep jobs, including sometimes waiving rights enshrined in law.
The OP has drawn the line in this case and so faces a potentially difficult time ahead. It's up to us to be supportive to him until he's resolved the situation. I wouldn't like to work a 6 day stretch either, but I've done much worse to keep a roof over my head and food in my belly. If it comes to be too much, we have to choose to struggle through it, or (in most cases) - quit.

Long days without a day off are a bad idea not only for your mental health but for physical as well. Definitely speak to your manager and check the laws of your country. In mine you cannot work more than 45 hours per week under the law unless you sign an additional document that you are aware of the risks and willing to work more. There is also the one concerning number and length of breaks (minimum 20 minutes per 6 hour shift).
I used to work a lot last year because of my financial situation with one week where I ended up working 12 hour shifts 5 days in a row. Not recommended. Got a terrible hip and lower back pain from that that still comes back from time to time.

With that 11 hour shift,

The time you’re given for breaks and or lunch breaks, even training in some companies,
Won’t be counted as ‘working’ and so will be deducted from the pay slip.

Being pencilled in for 11 hours but only working for 9. Breaks, lunch etc.

I don’t know anyone in this day and age that gets paid for taking breaks.

In the US, there are 2 basic types of employees: those who have salaries ( a specific, set amount of compensation in exchange for doing a job) and those who are paid by the hour for their work.

Salaried employees work however many hours it takes to do their jobs in exchange for their salary. That could be one true hour of work per week or working around the clock without a day off for weeks on end, depending on the job. Hourly employees are paid by the hour, and employers are highly regulated about the number of hours, breaks, overtime payment requirements and other details.

If you are fed up with the job to the point that it is affecting your mental and physical health, then it's not worth it!

I work six days a week and used to work all the days but not at those hours and not at a job I don't like. :confused:

I know of oil workers here who work 14 days in a row but they get 7 days off after that shift is done. It's up to you what you do but not sure I'd quit my job in this instance.

I resorted to a physician's note in the past. I don't know if thst is possible in your situation or not.

Mine limited me to no more than 8 hours a day.

So many problems in society could be solved if people just cared about mental health a little more. Overworking people certainly isn't doing anything to help mental health, just causing more stress, purely because of greed.

What the law says...

As an adult worker, you are entitled to an uninterrupted rest period of not less than 24 hours in each seven-day period. However, if your employer so determines, you are entitled to either two uninterrupted rest periods (each of not less than 24 hours) in each 14-day period, or one uninterrupted rest period of not less than 48 hours in each 14-day period.
Source: What is my entitlement to a weekly rest period?

As an adult worker, you are entitled to a rest break where your daily working time is more than six hours.
Source: What is my entitlement to a rest break during the day or shift?

New Threads

Top Bottom