• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am marrying a male with aspergers

VioletPane

Stop talking Feelings and start talking Facts.
Hello my name is Violet
I am engaged to a male aspergers who is 19 and I am 26.
We have nearly been together for 10 months.
I am reading and watching as much as I can to further understand but I am missing alot.
Can someone explain their experiences with dating someone with aspergers.
As I have borderline bipolar and schizophrenia etc it can be extremely hard.
More then a few have told me he will never grow up and because he has aspergers he will get bored and leave me.
I know this isn't true but it still hurts.
Any advice would be great.

Thankyou in advance.

V

Welcome.
More then a few have told me he will never grow up and because he has aspergers he will get bored and leave me.
While Pervasive Development Disorder means that our maturation is inhibited in certain areas, we are not all inhibited in the same areas. Some will rise to the occasion because they value the relationship so highly. (This is seen in the role of parenting, too.)

Those of us who do, still value our own childlike features, too, and will let them out where it is appropriate to do so. (I don't see NTs having a good non-divorce rate anyway.)

Welcome to AC! I am Aspie married to an NT. Prior to my diagnosis it was a real struggle for us to remain together. My meltdowns were very violent, having gone 40 years without being diagnosed and learning how to better cope and avoid having them to some extant. We were at the point of divorce when we sought help thru a therapist, who is also licensed to dx ASD disorders. She was the one that figured out I was Aspie, and once tested, the results left no doubt in her mind, or the second Dr that I had to see to get Vocational Rehab to assist with job placement. My wife is now able to better cope, not inflame or enable meltdowns and I now know thru training with my therapist to know when I am getting near that point, and I can exit or leave the area to go to one of my "safe" areas to calm down. I highly recommend reading everything you can about Aspergers as there are so many traits and no one person is alike. Some days I am more functional than others. There are some excellent books on leaving with someone with AS. Will there be struggles, yes. Will you need to be more self sufficient than other NT girls in a marriage, my wife would say yes. There are things I just do not do well at, and never will. Knowing everytime she needs held, or hugged, being able to see things from her point of view or as she says it, be in her shoes. She might want adult time later in the evening, say after 10pm, but much after 8pm I am used up emotionaly and mentally and ready to be left alone. She likes to snuggle, I don't, espicaly when I am sleeping. I sleep under an 18lb weighted blanket that she doesn't understand how I can do that, but without it, I wake up nearly every hour and am unable to get the 7-8 hours sleep I need to be emotionaly stable for the next day. But she knows this and will tell me to get to bed if I get hyper focused into something and its getting late. She will back off when she sees I am getting frustrated in an discussion and wait till I am able to respond, which I do once I am able to process the information and form a responce. There will be lots of work on your end. Keep in mind that many on the spectrum are a bit blunt, ask me if you look fat in a pair of new jeans, and you would get a blunt answer, which might not be want you wanted to hear. I lack a "social filter" most of the time. But I do love her dearly, do I grow tired of her, sure I do and I am sure many couples go thru dry spells. But it passes, we just keep to ourselves and usually that only lasts a few days to a week. I might look to others that I am not interested in her, but I am just hyper focused on whatever my obsession is at that moment, usually my model trains or antique tractors. Good Luck and I wish you both nothing but the best. Mike and Michele T

What utter dribble. Most people with Asperger's are ones that will fall in love with their first partner and settle down with them. We are the ones who appreciate how hard it can be to find love and don't throw in away over minor quibbles, we tend to work through problems.

Congratulations! I have Asperger's and I am married to an NT. We've gotten through 15 years together and with this sudden realization (getting dxed this weekend, I hope) he declared: "I don't want this to change anything between us."

Because what we have is pretty dang good.

Hi, Violet Plane, I hope you find encouragment here. I'm an Aspie woman with an NT boyfriend and I admit that I'm the one losing patience with trying to get him to understand me and I am the mature one while he's the immature one. Good luck to you!

My NT wife married a Aspie. Since then, we have had 5 kids and many grandkids. One of our secrets is that she understands my weirdness. So do your research, it will help. Welcome to AC, you will learn a lot here.

New Threads

Top Bottom