• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am getting my first fish tank

your aquarium is looking great and peaceful! The tank should color up naturally as time progresses and the tannins leech into the water more.

I enjoy small low maintenance tanks. I once kept over a dozen tanks and bread fish, coral, and various algae,

but now I keep a 14 gallon saltwater tank with a clown fish, live rock and 2”-3” of live sand. Natural micro fauna help keep Nemo fed along with occasional dry food. I almost never do water changes anymore, just top it off for evaporation and add some buffers.

The mini benthic creatures that appear in saltwater systems are fascinating to me. .

I agree let nature have its course with the darkning of the water it will come as time goes by (same as in nature ) you can also add whats known as special moonnligt or black light (often found in the reptile department in youre zoo store) to further darken the desired dark water effect. And of course in general dimm the light

NICE i never got to breading im afraid i was happy just geting it to work and enjoy them

Its possible to manage and suceed with Micro tanks (incl salt) BUT i do belive we should add its takes a bit more experince before just get on that one and its togher to maintain the balance in said system with smaller tanks (and most defenetly in sallt )

Last edited:
I now have a youtube channel called The axelrodi mansion where I film my aquarium for the purpose of entertainment and to see it grow.

I recently got myself Filmora installed and I started to edit my videos that I shot with with my samsung galaxy smartpone using a chair to make it more stable.

In total the editing process took me 2 days approximately with certain parts of the editing process taking as long as 4-5 hours sometimes forcing me to stay up at night to continue editing and to finish the video.

I am only getting started as a youtuber but so far it has gotten around 50 views and I am happy about that because I did not expect it to get that many views and in my mind 50 people viewing my video is a lot.

Looks VERY great (high 5 ) and reg the video youre born filmer (my former now sadly departed step dad (RIP dad ) was heavy in filmning and he and my mom sat HOURS / DAYS ediditing there films and put in the exact Music etc... ) needles to say you made it VERY good and relaxing :)

I see you went with the RIGHT choice of hardy good bottom feeders as well ;) just remember those are school fish so prefably a group (maybe 5 + ) other than that TOP marks one of the BEST smaller tanks i have seen (not lying )

Now you know why i love tanks and have since i was very little girl :p

Last edited:
Looks VERY great (high 5 ) and reg the video youre born filmer (my former now sadly departed step dad (RIP dad ) was heavy in filmning and he and my mom sat HOURS / DAYS ediditing there films and put in the exact Music etc... ) needles to say you made it VERY good and relaxing :)

I see you went with the RIGHT choice of hardy good bottom feeders as well ;) just remember those are school fish so prefably a group (maybe 5 + ) other than that TOP marks one of the BEST smaller tanks i have seen (not lying )

Now you know why i love tanks and have since i was very little girl :p

Incredibly my first and only video has gotten 180+ views and at this point I am at 200 views which I was certain would not happen in the beginning atleast not this quickly because it hasn't even been a week since I uploaded it and I am already at 200 views.

I will upload a new video once every two weeks but in my next video I will try using a script to make producing the video easier and to make the video feel professional.

TOP marks i see you gotten some good Lightning as well as some more fishes. The plants looks to be thriving as do the fishes. Also see you gotten the water to become the dark water you wanted

All in all im DEEPLY impressed:)

I am an 18 year old boy diagnosed with aspergers since a young age.

I have some big special interests mainly computers and technology in general which is why I am highly skilled with computers having 9+ years of experience since childhood.

When I am not doing computer and technology related things I am mostly interested in nature and biology mainly parrots and now more recently the fish hobby.

I have been researching for over a month what I need to know about keeping fish and it's mostly all I have been talking about when around my family.

I will keep 10 cardinal tetras in a tank
of 115 liters with tons of floating plants at the top and I will have oak wood and oak leaves at the bottom for tannins because this will be a blackwater setup mimicking the natural habitat of these fish.

The reason I keep only 10 of them is to make the tank as low maintenance as possible and if I keep good low flowrate filtration it should be easy.

My only concern is that the leaves will cause me to have to do water changes more often and if that really is the case
I will have to skip that and the reason I want to use them is because leaves on the bottom are a common sight in south american blackwater rivers.

What do you think about this one and what are some ways I can improve on it and the health of the fish?

You could just use artificial plants or get some nice rocks instead. The downside of artificial plants is that they do not absorb nitrates and carbon dioxide in the water nor would they supply oxygen. And make sure you dont mix tetra's with other fish, they are not kind to strangers. Good luck and let us know if there are any questions.

And make sure you dont mix tetra's with other fish, they are not kind to strangers. Good luck and let us know if there are any questions.

With all due respect on what grounds are you refering that Tetras are not kind to strangers ? Tetras are among the most friendly fishes you can have and is often put in Community tanks . :confused:

Tetra's are generally peaceful unless you put in a fish with long fins such as a gourami. For the most part you are probably correct, but from my experience they can be aggressive.

Tetra's are generally peaceful unless you put in a fish with long fins such as a gourami. For the most part you are probably correct, but from my experience they can be aggressive.

I had Tetras with both Guramis as well as other fishes bigger and smaller and i had no problems with them. Are you shore you dont mix this Sp with some one else ? There are indeed small fishes that are and can be aggressive. like the Barb fishes. For example. And also the labyrint fishes

This is my latest YouTube video which I hope you will enjoy
As you can see I have made major changes in the aquascape and I also added some nice black rocks to the aquascape and some of the footage is previously unreleased footage from before the aquascape.

instead of 4 corydoras I now have 8 of them but I also added some new salvinia floating plants that are thriving just like the sword plants.

I am improving in my video editing skills as I go and I am glad my first video got over 400 views and that my second one got over 200.

I have some depressing news and it's that one of my marbled hatchetfish jumped out of the aquarium which is not only the first time this has happened to me but it is also the first time a fish in my aquarium has died.

These guys are one of the only true flying fish in the aquarium hobby so having a tank with a cover and floating plants is a must.

We had both of those things yet one of them still managed to jump out of the aquarium and my dad didn't even see the fish jump out he just found it dead on the floor.

I will make a video about that in my next yt video.

I have some depressing news and it's that one of my marbled hatchetfish jumped out of the aquarium which is not only the first time this has happened to me but it is also the first time a fish in my aquarium has died.

These guys are one of the only true flying fish in the aquarium hobby so having a tank with a cover and floating plants is a must.

We had both of those things yet one of them still managed to jump out of the aquarium and my dad didn't even see the fish jump out he just found it dead on the floor.

I will make a video about that in my next yt video.

Im sorry i know how that feels (i have lost count on how many EXPENCIVE as well as less expensive (fresh as well as sallt ) fishes that jumped and or died due to accidents and of course other reasons as well. Im afraid that this is a big part of this hobby and all we can do is try our best to prevent this from happening as best we can (BUT you WILL suffer losses tho sadly )

what kind of prevention do you have to prevent jumpers ? You could get (i know there are store bought jump screens ) or you could also easily make one (similar as when you cover windows that way they CANT jump out but you still have open top for the ventilation and light .

Im sorry i know how that feels (i have lost count on how many EXPENCIVE as well as less expensive (fresh as well as sallt ) fishes that jumped and or died due to accidents and of course other reasons as well. Im afraid that this is a big part of this hobby and all we can do is try our best to prevent this from happening as best we can (BUT you WILL suffer losses tho sadly )

what kind of prevention do you have to prevent jumpers ? You could get (i know there are store bought jump screens ) or you could also easily make one (similar as when you cover windows that way they CANT jump out but you still have open top for the ventilation and light .

I currently have a glass panel under the aquarium cover which keeps the heat inside the aquarium and it also prevents fish from jumping out .

I talked to my dad about this and he said it jumped out of the tank during feeding time but he failed to notice it until the morning the following day.

This must be why it jumped out of the tank in the first place.

I currently have a glass panel under the aquarium cover which keeps the heat inside the aquarium and it also prevents fish from jumping out .

I talked to my dad about this and he said it jumped out of the tank during feeding time but he failed to notice it until the morning the following day.

This must be why it jumped out of the tank in the first place.

Okey then so normaly its coverd then ? Thats good.

Could be as when fishes are excited or indeed also in food frency but also scared or trying to get out of the way they are more likely to jump.

You shouldent blame youre self or youre dad on this as this do happen (ive found lost fishes WAY past there disapearance)

I just got a dimmer for my aquarium and this is the result IMG-20200611-202807

It looks so much more natural now that I can actually control the aquarium brightness levels and also set things such as sunset and sunrise settings.

NICE i presume you do give them some Sunlight as well tho ? As they do need that (you can set it on when youre of to school for example )

NICE i presume you do give them some Sunlight as well tho ? As they do need that (you can set it on when youre of to school for example )
Well the aquarium is located near a window but not too close so they do get the sunlight that they need

New Threads

Top Bottom