• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am considered a Grammar Nazi, is this a common Aspie trait?

I notice mistakes, and they annoy me to no end, but I don't correct people (as much as I'd like to). It is considered rude, because of various learning difficulties they may have that you aren't aware of. I don't think its rude personally, I think its helpful (if you aren't being nasty about it, and just let them know nicely) and I wouldn't think someone rude if they pointed out my mistakes. But, to each their own :)

I am a proof reader and language teacher, so I correct people's grammar errors for a living. That means that I nearly always notice grammar and spelling mistakes and I feel the urge to correct them, but I don't unless the meaning is not clear - in which case, I'm more likely to ask for clarification than correct their mistake. So I don't consider myself a grammar Nazi, though some of my students might disagree!

*peoples’ :p

I’m a grammar nazi. This thread is totally encouraging me to point out errors. I’ll ‘unwatch’ and try to restrain myself from checking back in.

I don't see much point doing so, even in my native language. I used to be a perfectionist but I stopped years ago. As long as I understand the message, it's good enough for me.

*peoples’ :p

I’m a grammar nazi. This thread is totally encouraging me to point out errors. I’ll ‘unwatch’ and try to restrain myself from checking back in.
Does this refer to my post? "People's" is correct - "people" is a plural noun which doesn't end in "s", so the genitive is formed by adding -'s.

Does this refer to my post? "People's" is correct - "people" is a plural noun which doesn't end in "s", so the genitive is formed by adding -'s.
Yes. I was taught that an apostrophe after the ‘s’ is plural and the double one of these (“) is used for speech as is in quoting someone talking to enclose that information. I was also taught that the singles ones (‘) are used to quote something in general. Feel free to correct me otherwise.

I'm an extreme systemiser - I can't help that errors, grammatical or otherwise stand out as if they were surrounded by flashing lights. It can be distracting or even distressing. I find it very difficult to concentrate on a presentation if there is a typo on the slide the presenter is talking through. I have had to learn to avoid arguing - even in the face of madness such as 'very unique' or the refusal of a student to put paragraph breaks in a solid page of text as this would '...make it more than one paragraph, and that's all I was asked to write...' Much as I would love to see the correct use of apostrophes and semicolons, I'd settle for a basic understanding of sentence structure and the willingness to read what was just written before hitting the send/submit/publish button....

Yes. I was taught that an apostrophe after the ‘s’ is plural and the double one of these (“) is used for speech as is in quoting someone talking to enclose that information. I was also taught that the singles ones (‘) are used to quote something in general. Feel free to correct me otherwise.
You add an apostrophe after the final 's' if the plural noun ends in 's', for example: cats'
If the plural noun doesn't end in 's', then you add an 's' in the genitive. Example: children's.

There are actually many reasons why people might make grammar mistakes on a forum like this one, many are understandable:

1. It's an international forum, and not all are native English speakers.
2. Some people have dyslexia or another similar learning disability.
3. People are using mobile devices with an autospell that tries to anticipate what you are going to write. These systems actually drive me mad, because they are supposed to help you, but you end up making ten times more mistakes than you would do otherwise. I never use one, I always set it to manual.
4. People write to reflect the spoken word, which might not be standard or formal English.
5. Ignorance. People simply don't know how to spell something, or don't know the grammar rule.
6. People fail to check their writing and don't spot mistakes.
7. Typos that don't get spotted.
8. They know they have made a mistake, but can't be bothered to change it.

Numbers 6 and 7 happen to me quite a bit, sometimes 4, but not so often.

There are actually many reasons why people might make grammar mistakes on a forum like this one, many are understandable:

1. It's an international forum, and not all are native English speakers.
2. Some people have dyslexia or another similar learning disability.
3. People are using mobile devices with an autospell that tries to anticipate what you are going to write. These systems actually drive me mad, because they are supposed to help you, but you end up making ten times more mistakes than you would do otherwise. I never use one, I always set it to manual.
4. People write to reflect the spoken word, which might not be standard or formal English.
5. Ignorance. People simply don't know how to spell something, or don't know the grammar rule.
6. People fail to check their writing and don't spot mistakes.
7. Typos that don't get spotted.
8. They know they have made a mistake, but can't be bothered to change it.

Numbers 6 and 7 happen to me quite a bit, sometimes 4, but not so often.
There's masses of words that are used or spelt differently in UK English to American English as well, but more surprisingly there's also various differences in the use of grammar, although both can be considered correct:

Differences in American and British English grammar

And here's a long list of words that are spelt differently, many people will be surprised by just how many there are:

Comprehensive list of American and British spelling differences

In some countries there can be other variations and people might even use combinations of both. Some words are also pronounced differently and even the letter "Z" is pronounced as "zed" in the UK, but as "zee" in the USA (I first learned this by listening to the alphabet on the long running popular American educational children's TV series Sesame Street as a young child in the UK lol!).

Last edited:
I'm too self conscience to pick faults with people's grammar but I do sometimes bring it up, but I'm asking for my own clarification in those instances. Things like double negatives really confuse me haha.

I guess my example is conversational grammar, "would you mind if I did this?" and they say "yes." I have incorrectly assumed in the past that they meant "yes I do mind, so don't do that." when they just meant "yes that's fine."

Every time I look at this site, I notice this thread again, and I feel compelled to state just how angry the phrase "Grammar Nazi" makes me. I hold no ill feeling towards you for using it in your post, Rich Allen, my anger is reserved for ill-thinking moron who thought that it was appropriate to associate a group of the most inhuman criminals, responsible for some of the most heinous and appalling acts in the history of the human race with those of us who would like to see more people using full stops and capital letters correctly.

There does seem to be a similar, very damaging attitude gaining traction in the media in the UK: A backlash against any attempt to get people to raise their game academically, better themselves through knowledge or seek their full potential through experiences - instead resigning themselves to a life of avoidable mediocrity....

Improving your grammar is not a bad thing. It improves your written communication and your ability to understand texts. As frustrating as bad grammar can be, I don't remember ever hearing about about any shocking cases of physical attacks provoked by the misuse of an apostrophe... have you?

Every time I look at this site, I notice this thread again, and I feel compelled to state just how angry the phrase "Grammar Nazi" makes me. I hold no ill feeling towards you for using it in your post, Rich Allen, my anger is reserved for ill-thinking moron who thought that it was appropriate to associate a group of the most inhuman criminals, responsible for some of the most heinous and appalling acts in the history of the human race with those of us who would like to see more people using full stops and capital letters correctly.

There does seem to be a similar, very damaging attitude gaining traction in the media in the UK: A backlash against any attempt to get people to raise their game academically, better themselves through knowledge or seek their full potential through experiences - instead resigning themselves to a life of avoidable mediocrity....

Improving your grammar is not a bad thing. It improves your written communication and your ability to understand texts. As frustrating as bad grammar can be, I don't remember ever hearing about about any shocking cases of physical attacks provoked by the misuse of an apostrophe... have you?
What would you prefer — grammar grump? Language crank? Punctilious pain?

It's called irony. There's got to be SOME room for a little humor when it comes to the give and take of correcting — and being corrected — in a forum. Most people do not like having their grammar corrected in an informal setting, so they try to take their tormentor down a notch or two with a derisive name. Besides, anyone who habitually corrects people in an informal setting like this forum doesn't get the point of being here — which is relationship building and support. A formal classroom setting is another matter entirely. There, let's correct people to our heart's content. But we would be well-advised to put our perfectionist obsessions away when we log in; otherwise, we will not gain any new online friends anytime soon.

I'd love it if someone sent me a friendly PM correcting my bad grammar. That's something I've always wanted to be good at, but never took the time to learn, which stresses me out.

I'd love it if someone sent me a friendly PM correcting my bad grammar. That's something I've always wanted to be good at, but never took the time to learn, which stresses me out.
Your use of grammar is better than a lot of people judging by what you've just written.

What would you prefer — grammar grump? Language crank? Punctilious pain?

It's called irony. There's got to be SOME room for a little humor when it comes to the give and take of correcting — and being corrected — in a forum. Most people do not like having their grammar corrected in an informal setting, so they try to take their tormentor down a notch or two with a derisive name. Besides, anyone who habitually corrects people in an informal setting like this forum doesn't get the point of being here — which is relationship building and support. A formal classroom setting is another matter entirely. There, let's correct people to our heart's content. But we would be well-advised to put our perfectionist obsessions away when we log in; otherwise, we will not gain any new online friends anytime soon.

No, I'm afraid my sense of humour deserts me when I am compared to a Nazi. And you misunderstand my post, I was merely objecting to the existence of that phrase. It's used indiscriminately and can be very hurtful. Perhaps if we want to 'make more friend's online' we should consider everyone's feelings. There is a world of difference between a friendly pointing out of an embarrassing error to a colleague and what you describe.... I thing it unfair to tar all with the same brush - especially that one.

No, I'm afraid my sense of humour deserts me when I am compared to a Nazi. And you misunderstand my post, I was merely objecting to the existence of that phrase. It's used indiscriminately and can be very hurtful. Perhaps if we want to 'make more friend's online' we should consider everyone's feelings. There is a world of difference between a friendly pointing out of an embarrassing error to a colleague and what you describe.... I thing it unfair to tar all with the same brush - especially that one.
No offence was obviously originally intended and I think most people will take it with a pinch of salt as intended, but different people are offended by different things and I agree that the name "Nazi" could strike the wrong nerve with some people who will object to it being used at all, especially when it's referring to themselves even if it is only related to grammar.

Edit: The "grammar police" seems to be a reasonable alternative name which I've seen used instead and if you look online you're far from the only person who has made a similar point.

Last edited:
And you misunderstand my post, I was merely objecting to the existence of that phrase.
So let me make sure I am now correctly understanding your post. Are you suggesting that you always should be allowed to correct people's grammar (which can be offensive) because you're on a mission to help prevent "a life of avoidable mediocrity," but they're never allowed to attempt to deflect the tension you caused with a little humor because it's not to your liking and you think it never should have existed?

If that's not what you meant, then please elucidate.

Unless you are a publisher or grave stone manufacturer.
Leave it alone.

your trying to kill yourself.... no....... you're trying to kill yourself.
it doesn't make you a better person pointing it out .

New Threads

Top Bottom